Oil just reached 7500 miles in 3 months, should I change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using M1 and LC20 in a similar situation (maybe the temps are slightly warmer down here in PA?), but I put about 8000 from May of 05 to Jan of 06. The UOA looked fine, had Terry give me recomendations which were to do the same thing again without doing the UOA in between (which swapped out a quart of old oil for new oil) and I think (I'll have to check his email) double my LC20 usage. I'm driving an 05 1ZZ Corolla, maybe its rather gentle on the oil? I sure don't drive the car gentle when I have the chance >
smile.gif

He recommended dumping this oil and starting over, but I figured if the UOA looked the same at 8000 as it did at 5000, why bother dumping it yet? I'm sure its good for another 2000 miles...which is about where I am now...waiting for a nice warm day to change it
smile.gif

If it were me, I'd buy some LC20, start using it every 1K miles, and like everyone else is recommending do a UOA at 10K on the oil. Then you have a good idea of what you are doing and what you can get away with...

quote:

Originally posted by 626LX2.0LATX1998:
Car has 98k miles, oil is 4 qrts of Mobil 1 5w30 Supersyn, installed Dec 22, 2005, now has 7500 miles in 3 canadian winter months with average temp 30F.

Note that 3000 miles is from straight long driving, 4500 miles is from daily drive.

I topped it off, 1/2quart mid Feb. I drive 80% highway 20% city, I don't idle.

My target is to leave it till June or 6 months, probably reach 15,000-20,000 miles by then.

Am I nuts?

Not really and I doubt you'll damage the engine by doing so.

I think this engine is solid.

Just a little history, when I first bought the car @ 50k miles, I decided to wash the darn engine, left it overnight.

Next morning when I started it, it was shaking violently and engine check light blinking but I still drove it for about 3miles to the shop then it stalled just before the shop. We pushed it in neutral...

Guy popped the hood... stupid me, ignition wells were filled with water! We let the water evaporate and I drove off the lot with a quiet clean motor... enough said.

So i just think leaving oil there till June shouldn't pose any problem.

Wouldn't hurt to put a couple drops off the dipstick on a white file card or similar card and see what develops after it all soaks in.

quote:

Originally posted by GoldenRod:
Why not change every 3 months?

Are you handycapped?

Don't know how to change oil?

To cheap to buy oil?

What do you hope to accomplish with a 100,000 mile OCI?

Why not use the oil to it's fullest potential instead of wasting it? If the oil is only 50% used up, why throw it away?

And it's spelled handicapped, not handycapped.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by GoldenRod:
Why not change every 3 months?

Are you handycapped?

Don't know how to change oil?

To cheap to buy oil?

What do you hope to accomplish with a 100,000 mile OCI?

Unbelievable.
rolleyes.gif

farrarfan1:
lol.gif

I just think that clean oil is the greatest return on investment we can possibly make on a car. How many times a year do we throw away pruduce that we buy at the store because it isn't sweet enough? How many times a year do we throw away bread that we let get stale? If you guys look back on the previous year, you will probably find way more money wasted, than changing out oil a little early.
smile.gif

Goldenrod the whole tone of your response was rude and had absolutely no value.Handycapped (sic)? Too cheap to buy oil? The original poster made no mention of 100,000 mile OCI. You have neither the training,qualifications or background to give anyone advice on what oils to use in their engines. Constantly tossing out the outdated 3 month recomendation at every opportunity is providing the poster and other readers of this forum no value whatsoever.If you were trying to be funny with your questions directed towards the topic starter then you failed miserably.

quote:

Originally posted by farrarfan1:
Goldenrod the whole tone of your response was rude and had absolutely no value.Handycapped (sic)? Too cheap to buy oil? The original poster made no mention of 100,000 mile OCI. You have neither the training,qualifications or background to give anyone advice on what oils to use in their engines. Constantly tossing out the outdated 3 month recomendation at every opportunity is providing the poster and other readers of this forum no value whatsoever.If you were trying to be funny with your questions directed towards the topic starter then you failed miserably.

I agree. There is a difference between a bit of friendly sarcasm and being downright rude. Goldenrods remarks crossed that line.

Thanks farrarfan1 for graciously pointing it out.

farrarfan1 & michaelc80,

Both of you guys need to lighten up. I admit that my twisted humor borderlines on sarcasm at times, but you two guys are just being way too squeamish. It was never my intension to be rude in any way towards the original poster. I do however, regret misspelling the word " handicapped" in my original post.

One more thing I should mention: I respect my fellow forum members by correctly spelling and punctuating their screen names. You two guys should do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back