Oil Jug VS. Quart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Donald
I would assume it never even makes it to a barrel if its going to a small QT or 4-5QT jug.

Could you imagine, oil companies spending MONEY to make sure the 'big buyers' like Wal-Mart etc, are getting a lesser quality because they buy MORE of their product bulk for re-sale???
crazy.gif

Heck, Wal-Mart is essentially paying Mobil1 to put WAL MART on the sticker for their 5QT bottles for crying out loud!!!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: dubie2003
This remindes me of the days when I worked at Kmart and I had a guy tell me that he doesn't buy his oil at Kmart since it is bottled from the bottom of the barrel but the WalMart stuff if from the top, lol.

An oil company specs their oil for grade/weight, not what bottle or store or etc....

But then he wouldn't get all the additives that settled to the bottom for the lucky Kmart buyer
lol.gif

I will never forget the parts guy comming out to the shop pushing a dolly with 52 qts of HDEO and a bunch of filters telling me the main branch called and wants you to service the semi. I do not think the parts guy was smart enough to order gallons of oil ,but then he may have enjoyed bringing me the qts.

A shop manager told me that his customers do not want M1 in 5-qt jugs, they preferred quart bottles. They pay for synthetic price and that is what they get, even was told that they would save $5-10 with M1 in 5-qt jug. Now that shop is only stock quart bottles.

Originally Posted By: brentalan
Well, Mountain Dew tastes better from a can than a plastic bottle, so what might that tell us???

Originally Posted By: ProfPS
As you can see from the above responses that the only difference is the packaging, and there are savings to both the producer and consumer for larger bottles. I'll use one analogy, is a 1.75L bottle of Jack Daniel's less quality than a 750mL bottle of JD?

That maybe you like the feel of the can better than the bottle and your brain subconsciously translating that into a "better" taste? Maybe there's an actual electrochemical process taking place as the soda is touching the aluminum from the opening of the can and contacting your taste buds? (BTW, the soda does not touch the Aluminum INSIDE the can)

Or did you have something else in mind?

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: dubie2003
This remindes me of the days when I worked at Kmart and I had a guy tell me that he doesn't buy his oil at Kmart since it is bottled from the bottom of the barrel but the WalMart stuff if from the top, lol.

An oil company specs their oil for grade/weight, not what bottle or store or etc....

Bahahahahaha

Yeah, right, because Walmart is so high-brow compared to Kmart.
smirk.gif

John

Is there any cost advantage one way or the other between buying your oil by the quart or jug in the US? I ask because in the UK we tend to buy our oil in five litre packs (unless you use castrol, in which case you pay more money for four litres instead...)
Oil is sold in individual litres but it works out much expensive that way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NVJ157G
Is there any cost advantage one way or the other between buying your oil by the quart or jug in the US? I ask because in the UK we tend to buy our oil in five litre packs (unless you use castrol, in which case you pay more money for four litres instead...)
Oil is sold in individual litres but it works out much expensive that way.

Generally speaking in the US and Canada, the large jug versus the quart/litre is cheaper, as with any other good when comparing the bulk size to the smaller size. Not always true though, since I have on occasion seen smaller containers (of just about anything, including oil) cost less than the identical big containter version. Usually due to a sale on the smaller size.

Originally Posted By: John_K
Yeah, right, because Walmart is so high-brow compared to Kmart.
smirk.gif

John

It is around here...

just went to oriellys yesterday as we just got one here. they are high priced on there oil. the 5-20 mobil 1 was $7.99 a quart and they did not have it in jugs only quarts. the one that got me was a quart of amsoil at 13.99 must have a gold additive. i think it was a 0-20 or 0-30 but dont remember. i have to check summit racing as i think i can get red line for the same as mobil 1 ... are they raseing the price due to the mideast problems??

Originally Posted By: mcshooter
s a quart of amsoil at 13.99 must have a gold additive. i think it was a 0-20 or 0-30 but dont remember.

What a ripoff!! I can see why Amsoil is not continuing with O'Reilly's. Suggested price (and really the MAX) is $10.50 for SSO and $9.45 for ASM. Locally I sell them for $8 and $7.50.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
Old theory is that the add-pack settles to the bottom more readily on the larger containers which is not likely for short term storage (less than two years).

That's not a theory and not even a hypothesis, but an unsubstantiated claim. Maybe someone should come up with a theory, for example, "Gravity changes depending on the size of the bottle and depending on storage time."

yep Steve S has a point. i heard, maybe here, about a oil change co, that got gear box grease, i think, put in the bulk tank. they bought 20-25 engines. i might not be remembering right but you get the idea.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: mcshooter
s a quart of amsoil at 13.99 must have a gold additive. i think it was a 0-20 or 0-30 but dont remember.

What a ripoff!! I can see why Amsoil is not continuing with O'Reilly's. Suggested price (and really the MAX) is $10.50 for SSO and $9.45 for ASM. Locally I sell them for $8 and $7.50.

Dude, I wish you lived by me. I'd just by from you and pick it up at your place if you were already stocked!

Wow, first I heard of this lol.

Now, bulk oil, vs. bottled; I have heard of that......people claiming the "bulk oil" is "recycled oil" - well duh, really, ALL OIL is "recycled" - refined, and re-used......well, that is, the stuff that people turn in.

I guess they can flush it down their sewer and hope the EPA don't catch them - cause that's the only way the oil won't get "recycled".....

BTW, how about this new "G Oil"? Lol....biodegradable? really? So I can throw it down my kitcen drain since it's biodegradable? Really? I'm tempted to give it a shot next OCI....but already have "old" Mobil Clean 5000 set aside....(which is now renamed Mobil Super.....).

The G Oil seems like a good concept, but no "resource" or "energy" conserving on the donut on the back? really? For a synthetic? Wonder why? and If I recall, it was "SM" rated.

Originally Posted By: explorer99sport
Yea I thought so, it didint make sense to me either. Some dude was talking about it at a speedshop...shows what he knows lol
Thanks guys

-Jon

crackmeup2.gif
Wow, that's a first.

I must really be in trouble since I get my oil in 55 drums. But then, I am a cheap skate and like the better price than buying in quarts or jugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back