Oil Hadn't Been Changed in 3 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend called me up saying she hadn't had the oil changed in 3 years. I understand, sometimes oil pump screen plug up and kill motors under these circumstances after new oil is added. I want to recommend her to have it done somewhere else, so if the engine does die, the blame isn't put on me.

Its a 1999 Ford Focus v6(I think) with around 200,000 miles. The driving conditions are all highway over the last 3 months. the previous years, it was a town car, that rarely got up to operating temperature. If I get her to understand the chances taken, and still wants me to service the car, what oil and filter would you bitoggers recommend?

I was thinking a high mileage oil with a standard Fram filter, then change it out for 2-3000 miles for 2 intervals. Also, if i do the service, I would like to send a sample it, just to see how bad it was. Where can I get a sample kit?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 79sunrunner
My friend called me up saying she hadn't had the oil changed in 3 years. I understand, sometimes oil pump screen plug up and kill motors under these circumstances after new oil is added. I want to recommend her to have it done somewhere else, so if the engine does die, the blame isn't put on me.

Its a 1999 Ford Focus v6(I think) with around 200,000 miles. The driving conditions are all highway over the last 3 months. the previous years, it was a town car, that rarely got up to operating temperature. If I get her to understand the chances taken, and still wants me to service the car, what oil and filter would you bitoggers recommend?

I was thinking a high mileage oil with a standard Fram filter, then change it out for 2-3000 miles for 2 intervals. Also, if i do the service, I would like to send a sample it, just to see how bad it was. Where can I get a sample kit?

No focus has a V6 that I know of. Hopefully his is a DOHC engine. I'd use Pennzoil yellow bottle. Google Blackstone labs.

Probably take it to a walmart with a auto department nearby and let them do the oil change.

I would avoid walmart TLE. I have not had good experience with them and have heard others have not either. Put 530 in my honda instead of 520 WITHOUT even asking me. Plus they reused the crush washer and the next day the oil filter was leaking. One time I had a tire belt break and they blamed it on my suspension. Yeah sure. I'd just change the oil and do short oci for a while then go to normal intervals. Probably be fine.

Even if the engine blows for some reason for changing the oil, a shop won't be liable because they'll take the valve cover or oil pan off and see why it blew, if it's totally sludged up.

You change it but make sure she understands you aren't liable for anything; then change it with PYB 5w20 and a Fram Orange Can and run it for 2k miles twice, then continue as normal.

Originally Posted By: stevejones
I would not touch that car, even if sexual favors were offered.

Its lasted 200,000 miles I guess she is doing something right

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Its lasted 200,000 miles I guess she is doing something right

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. Still would not touch.

Sure you won't reconsider????
EX-supermodel_Paul_1586927a_zps01b1648c.jpg

I owuld use the cheapest dino oil with Fram Extra Guard oil filter for 2-3 short OCI's of 2-3k miles. Then use good dino with Fram Tough Guard for 2-3 OCI's of 4-5k miles, then good dino with Tough Guard at normal OCI. If oil consumption is more than 1 quart at 4-5k miles OCI then use high mileage oil.

Probably good advice, although I don't think I'd worry too much about grade for a couple of short summer runs with any engine.
If the engine is running okay and doesn't have excess oil consumption, then it'll probably be just fine.
As a side note, doesn't it kill you how some drivers totally neglect maintenance and still get 200K+ out of an engine?

Since its next oil change will be in another 3 years, Mobil 1 extended performance. Overfill it a quart. Good to go for another 30K miles.

Originally Posted By: TFB1

Give her some false teeth and she'll be good to go.
21.gif

+1

They's gonna blame whomever does the work.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: TFB1

Give her some false teeth and she'll be good to go.
21.gif

How many beers would you have to have to ..................

This is the exception to the rule.

Whatever happens, I'd like pics and video (of the oil not your friend). I become a veritable voyeur when sludgy oil is drained.

Since it is a friends car I would do it without hesitation after I explained what could happen. It may not be sludged. It might only have 7-8000 miles on the oil. I would buy Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 and change the oil when the car is HOT. I would put a cheap filter, probably purolator, on it. Depending on what drained out of the car that would tell me how soon I would change the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back