Oil for super long, tough commute...Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with others that the drive is not that hard. It's highway. Just don't lug the engine. Consider driving your least valuable car every day so you wear them out 1 at a time, not all at once.

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
I have had good results running the RL 5w-30 here phoenix for the past couple of years. Granted I am in severe conditions in comparison to your use and its in a Toyota truck, but UOA's at around 8K look good. I think any of the oils mentioned will work fine for use described.

As others here have mentioned a good synthetic ATF is much more important along with some added filtration and maybe some auxillary cooling. I actually grew up in Issaquah and use to make that trip many times.

You grew up in Issaquah? That's neat....isn't Arizona a HUGE change for you? If this move happens I will really look into a better tranny fluid. Seems like most here agree that that part of the vehicle will be more stressed than the engine.

I agree strongly with the recommendations for Schaeffers/Amsoil/Redline products and extended oil change intervals. I'll also recommend installing an aux trans cooler and inline filter on each of the automatics, combined with a quality fluid will keep your trans and ATF in great shape over the long haul. I beleive your diffs and overall fuel economy would benefit from a quality gear oil from one of the brands mentioned as well.

For a retail engine oil that does not break the bank, Pennzoil Platinum would be a good engine oil choice that should go 7-10k miles with your type of driving.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: hate2work

You could use the Amsoil SSO and change your oil every two months (8k) or you could use a lesser quality oil ( PP, Synpower, etc )and change your oil once a month (4k).

Will you be driving over Snoqualmie Pass? I have a friend who lives in Cle Elum and works in Bellevue, he drives it every day.

Get some good syn in your AT as well, that's brutal on trannies.

Yes, it is Snqualmie Pass. I would be living in Roslyn....almost exactly where your friend lived. I'd be working over by the airport.

That will be one tough commute in the winter! Avalanches seem to shut down Snoqualmie Pass every year. Hope you have some good winter tires.

Count me as another vote for an added transmission cooler on the automatics. That can just about never hurt anywhere south of the Arctic Circle.

I'm torn about the recommendation to drive your least valuable car. It makes sense, but on the other hand with the amount of time you're going to be IN the car, I'd say drive the one you enjoy the most and just make sure its up to the task.

Originally Posted By: ccs v2.0
Agreed Banz, except there are three vehicles, so none will get the 4K mile per month.

Ah. I was assuming he was going to pick one vehicle and stick with it. Okay, so each will get about 1300 miles a month on it, and the highway miles will be pretty easy. Maybe still an 8000-mile OCI, but over 6 months instead of 3.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Count me as another vote for an added transmission cooler on the automatics. That can just about never hurt anywhere south of the Arctic Circle.

I'm torn about the recommendation to drive your least valuable car. It makes sense, but on the other hand with the amount of time you're going to be IN the car, I'd say drive the one you enjoy the most and just make sure its up to the task.

The '04 Grand Marquis would be my choice, comfortable, good fuel economy, a large factory transmission cooler and very durable brakes. The 4.6L/4R70W drivetrain has proven itself in police and taxi service with "low-bid" lubricants; it will handle that commute with ease.

use any 5-20 api oil and change it every 6-7k...thanks for buying Fords, i work at a supplier that makes many transmission seals for the blue oval

Reading this thread, I just heard the Quaker State commercial talking about their "One Tough Durable Oil" and how they want to hear from the public about their tough daily commutes. You should use Quaker State and signup for the Toyota Venza contest and see if you win?

Probably won't, but worth a try... QS isn't a bad oil either!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
FWIW:

I forgot to mention... Where I live (on top of a mountain), I have to climb a mountain each day home from work. It's pretty steep and involves 4K RPM for about 3-4 Minutes to get me up there.

I also drive all day long (8-10 hours) with multiple restarts as well. I also sit in the occasional traffic jam for a couple hours.

I do this in our hot-humid summers and our brutally cold winters.

I have run Pennzoil Platinum during this time for 10K KM (6K Mile) OCI's when my manual calls for 6K KM (3500 Miles) OCI's under normal operating conditions.

My UOA's turn out just fine and my engine is spotless and runs like the day I bought it. I have over 170K KM (106K Miles) on it!

So you using Pennzoil Platinum and changing at 5K miles I'm sure would be more than fine and have really great protection!
thumbsup2.gif

No offense Stevie, but the Hamilton "mountain" is NOTHING compared to the passes out west. I've driven out west many times, including a drive from Toronto to Seattle (which took 4 days). Let me tell you... THOSE are mountains!!! I had a rental car (Chevy Impala) for that one trip, and the 3.5L V6 found itself struggling in 2nd gear to keep 70 mph through those passes.

I can drive up and down the Hamilton mountain all day long with my trailer hooked up and the car wouldn't even notice.

No offense taken... I laugh that they call ours a Mountain! I posted in another thread or a PM (can't recall) that when I was in Italy, that they are real mountains and not what we call a mountain!

While I don't drive up a "true" mountain, I do drive up a steep hill that makes the engine work for a short period of time and I do it daily, and sometimes multiple times per day...

Picture of Hamilton Mountain Here (Hi-Res)

Road I drive up #1

Road I drive up #2

Road I drive up #3

If you end up choosing just one car to do the commute, a synthetic monograde would be perfect for this. You're doing few cold starts, most of the time spent on the freeway fully warm and you're putting some stress on it climbing hills.

Redline or Amsoil come to mind.

This was my original reason for running a synthetic monograde in my TL. Long 4 hour trip with no stops and a couple very tough hills to climb a couple times a week. Once I stopped the commute there was no reason to swtich to anything else so that's what I'm running until the car dies.

That looks like Centennial Pkwy to me
wink.gif

I've been using the Red Hill Expressway ever since it opened, so I haven't been taking Centennial much anymore...

But back on topic... I think the O.P. would be well served with a good synthetic oil for both the high temperature stability during hot runs through the mountain passes, and for extended drain capability. With that many miles monthly, you'd want to minimize the amount of time spent on maintenance. A good synthetic should be able to give you at least 8-10k miles (probably more) with that driving.

...and I definitely suggest to get a large transmission cooler and some Amsoil ATF if you're deciding to take your automatic car for the commute.

For the Ranger, some Redline tranny oil in the manual gear box would work very well and protect during the climbs.

Originally Posted By: il_signore97
That looks like Centennial Pkwy to me
wink.gif

I've been using the Red Hill Expressway ever since it opened, so I haven't been taking Centennial much anymore...

Yeah it's Centenial... I don't use the Redhill that much because I live Southwest of there in Binbrook so it makes more sense for me to use Centenial or Mountain Road or Dewitt rd new Hwy 8.

I don't think it is a very tough commute for your oil. I used to do 3.5-4K rpm constantly in my daily commute with a total of 3 people in my car, going 90mph and some minor mountain pass, then every other week I'd do a 900 miles round trip at 95mph average with 4 people in the car climbing the grapevine, and for 2-3 mins the engine need to downshift and go 4.5-5k rpm to stay at 70mph during the mountain pass.

The engine wears fine at 190k miles, and I used M1 SuperSyn (not EP) with 10k OCI. The head gasket is another matter, when the car overheated in a 110F heat storm in a trip to Las Vegas and the cooling fan relay died and the cylinder head warped.

Pick any oil and don't worry about it, but make sure your cooling system is in top condition.

Last edited:
5 or 6 thousand miles? Any name brand oil will work great. Syn oil is a waste of $$$ at that oil change interval interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back