Oil for severe service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I just bought a 2001 Ford F150 with 90k on the 5.4 Triton engine. Previous owner ran 5/20 castrol gtx. Truck runs perfect and is in awesome shape, no leaks or oil consumption. I will be towing a 4000lb ski boat from sea level to 6,000ft {lake Tahoe} on a weekly basis all summer {hot and steep for about 4 hours}. Looking for the best protection possible. Thanks in advance.

Personally, since I had the exact truck, I'd just change the oil right now and keep with what you got for the summer. If consumption was an issue, I'd try 5w-30 GTX. Superior sludge protection and resistance to thermal breakdown, what more could you ask for?

I'd be more worried about chaning out the rear diff fluid if it hasn't been. I did mine at 88K miles and used Valvoline synthetic 75w-140. Pretty nasty stuff I drained out of the rear diff.

x2, I would definetely run fresh 140 weight in the diff. Most gear oils in that weight are synthetic.

As for oils, You could stick with the GTX in a 20 or 30 weight. I might be tempted to go up to the 5 or 10w30.

If budget wasnt a concern, A dose of Redline synthetic with a good filter, would take anything you could throw at it.

Read up on the motorcraft 5w 20 oil and filters, should work great for you when changed at a reasonable interval. They seem to have great reviews and are a bargain that's hard to beat.

All you really need for that service is motorcraft 5w20 and a motorcraft filter. Personally I would run PP 5w20 and be done with it. (that's what I am running in my wifes 4.6 Explorer It is a great value and works well.
I will soon have a UOA on my 2005 company truck with the 3v 5.4 running Castrol Syntec Castrol Syntec 5w20 in Desert and mountain service(that's what we are buying bulk for the fleet).
I Tend to favor oils with good detergency in the modulars with the variable valve timing feature, in engines without it (such as my jeep) I will run just about annything.

I'm with Bryanccfshr. I'd run PP 5W20 and if I could find it with a Mobil 1 or Pure One filter as part of an oil change special I'd be all over it. If not PP 5W20 and an MC filter and you're golden. JMO

Just run what you normally put in it. Since you personally consider your summer driving "severe condition," the manual simply says to change the oil at 3,000 miles instead of 5,000. There is no need to change to a thicker oil or dwell over the toughest oil. Just use your normal favorite oil and follow the "severe maintenance" schedule for the truck as laid out in the manual.

Here is,man. All oils work for severe service. You just change them more often. Pick a good synthetic and run not more than 5k. Try PP or M1 EP.

+1 on M1 EP 5w-20. If you're really worried you can make one or 2 of the sump fill 5W-30 EP and the balance the 5w-20.

Last edited:
It should have Mercon V in it which is synthetic. He will only need to change that at the regular service interval, which may not be until 100,000 miles. I guess he could change it earlier if this boat haul is really that severe.

In my 2002 F150, with the tranny in mine, the manual doesn't even recommend changing the tranny fluid unless your truck falls under the severe service category. If it does fall under the severe use, then it still only recommends changing at 100,000 miles. However, some of the optional trannys for the 2002 F150, recommend changing the fluid every 30,000 miles. So, I would recommend he once again consult his owner's manual.

Oh how many answers one can find if they would only read the darn manual.

best protection possible would be ANY group 3 synthetic 10w30 oil, even NAPA synthetic or SuperTech synthetic. My choice would be Pennzoil Platinum, 10w30 or QS or Valvoline, in no particular order. I agree with fluid change in tranny and diff as well.
even though 5w20 will work, for that kind of hauling an oil with a slightly tougher film strength, more shear resistance and less volatility would be better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 360kid
It should have Mercon V in it which is synthetic. He will only need to change that at the regular service interval, which may not be until 100,000 miles. I guess he could change it earlier if this boat haul is really that severe.

In my 2002 F150, with the tranny in mine, the manual doesn't even recommend changing the tranny fluid unless your truck falls under the severe service category. If it does fall under the severe use, then it still only recommends changing at 100,000 miles. However, some of the optional trannys for the 2002 F150, recommend changing the fluid every 30,000 miles. So, I would recommend he once again consult his owner's manual.

Oh how many answers one can find if they would only read the darn manual.

Mercon V can be met with a synthetic blend oil. The factory fill probably is that way.

Replace the ATF with a synthetic that is Mercon V approved, don't leave the factory fill in for more than 50K miles.

Factory oil change intervals are fine for regular or syn blend 5w20 oil, however, if the owner wants to extend the OCI, use synthetic 5w20 or synthetic 0w20

I would use a wix/napa gold filter and PP. I would also be very concerned about the trans and diff. make sure you have a good trans cooler for towing and good/fresh ATF in there.

Originally Posted By: goupfast
Money no object. I am going with PP 5/30 and motorcraft filter.
Dilemma solved. PP, and the MC filter is an excellent choice!...Like others mentions don't ingnore the other fluids. Whenever I aquired a used vehicle I plan on keeping for awhile, I flush anything that can be flushed and fill fresh!...Since you say $ is no object, you should do the same....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back