Oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for an oil recommendation for my 2001 ford f150 5.4 with 85k on motor. This is a recient purchase. Truck is in mint cond and runs awesome. I have no oil change history. I will be towing a 4500lb boat in 80 to 110 temps most weekends all summer. Severe service for sure. Thanks in advance.

First of all;
welcome2.gif

I'd go with any 5w-20 or 5w-30 conventional changed every 3-4 months as long as you don't go over 5k miles.

The Motorcraft oil and a Motorcraft filter work excellent! Good price at your local Wal-Mart.

Take care, bill

whatever you pick use a motorcraft FL820s filter. $3.67 at walmart

motorcraft 5w20 (or 5w30 your choice) is a great combo for the ford trucks..

i used the Motorcraft 5w30 in my 2000 F250 5.4 till this last oil change (just used some napa syn oil cause i couldn't resist from buying it)

Last edited:
You know, with that kind of service, I'd seriously consider a bump up to 10w-30. With 110 degree ambient temperatures and any kind of hill with a 5,000 lb trailer, you'll likely start getting oil temps up well past 230 - 240 degrees.

Yeah, I agree with Drew. I wouldn't run a 20W oil in 100 degree weather towing a trailer with an older, broken in engine. I'd probably run a 40W oil, to tell you the truth.

I bump up in oil thickness would seem wise for what your are doing in those conditions.
You would also be a good candidate for an oil temp gauge.

Originally Posted By: goupfast
I am looking for an oil recommendation for my 2001 ford f150 5.4 with 85k on motor. This is a recient purchase. Truck is in mint cond and runs awesome. I have no oil change history. I will be towing a 4500lb boat in 80 to 110 temps most weekends all summer. Severe service for sure. Thanks in advance.

Since you mention
Quote:
SEVERE SERVICE
The most economical choice would be AMSOIL for many reasons.
The best reason is it makes so many internet experts so MAD!
mad.gif

The truth always hurts.
If you spend a little time searching for results using AMSOIL PRODUCTS you will find many happy people.
you can look up the site sponsors here on BITOG and they can help you with a product that is best for your vehicle.
I have used AMSOIL PRODUCTS in many many applications in the past 17 years with excellent results.
you can expect SEVERE SERVICE PROTECTION for a minimum of 15,000 miles as stated by AMSOIL
No other oil manufacture will stick their neck out that far! For SEVERE SERVICE
21.gif

why experiment with anything else?

I think I'd look at the spark plugs. There is a spark plug hole heli-coil repair kit for this model because old plugs or improperly installed new plugs can pop out, ruining the hole in the process. I think that applies to 4.6 and 5.4. This happened to a co-workers truck last fall during normal use.

Why not use synthetic in these conditions? What's your fav brand? get 5w-30.

Originally Posted By: jorton
I think I'd look at the spark plugs. There is a spark plug hole heli-coil repair kit for this model because old plugs or improperly installed new plugs can pop out, ruining the hole in the process. I think that applies to 4.6 and 5.4. This happened to a co-workers truck last fall during normal use.

Why not use synthetic in these conditions? What's your fav brand? get 5w-30.

I'm guessing it was really late when you posted this? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back