Oil for severe service

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a ford F150 5.4 with 82k. I will be towing a 4000lb boat-trailer all summer in 80 to 100 temp with alot of steep climbs to higher elevations. This truck is a receint purchase and the previous owner used Castrol GTX 5W/20. I want the best oil period. Money no object and no concern with extended OCI.
Thanks in advance.

I'd go with 10w30 if allowed by OM. Brand? really does not matter so long as it is Big 5 product.

all SM5w20 oil is group II+. My suggestion is buy ANY oil brand U like, and mix 50:50 5w20 conventional and 5w30 synthetic. The little extra bit of viscosity will protect the oil from shearing down too far, and ALL SM oils on the market today are better than any oil from 15 years ago. That's what I do anyway, and my vehicles all love it. And if money is no object, then blend 50:50
synthetic 5w20 : synthetic 5w30, but ur oil from the first suggestion will function 100% the same. Pennzoil, Quaker State, Valvoline, those names come to mind. I find Castrol is overpriced, for no reason other than the name. The oil is identical.
The other choice is just use all synthetic 5w30, ur engine will do well with 5w30 as well. there is no reason at all to use anything heavier than that - it will just make your engine work harder, and heavier oil does not flow as well, meaning it does not cool the engine as well, meaning all 5w30 oils are better than all 10w30 oils (of the same make of course).

Last edited:
PP / Valvoline / M1 in a 10w-30. That's probably overkill. I'd be more concerned with the tranny myself. You have a decent cooler on it? Have you drained it since your purchase?

If you want one of the best oils look no further than Redline. I would run the 5W-20 in your ford which will be more than enough for 100 degree temps. I have been running the 5w-30 here in Phoenix. 115 and everything is well. My second choice would be Amsoil SSO. Either way I would run the EaO oil filter with whatever oil you choose. One of the best out there. And dont forget good air filtration! I prefer WIX along with many on this site.

Yep we have a tranny cooler. Just had it serviced, should be good to go for the summer.
thanks for your concern.

10w30 Mystik would be heavy-duty for you and still not have all the seal softeners like a HM oil would since you do not necessarily need that yet.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
PP / Valvoline / M1 in a 10w-30. That's probably overkill. I'd be more concerned with the tranny myself. You have a decent cooler on it? Have you drained it since your purchase?

+1 to this and to the redline suggestion. I wouldnt worry about going to 5w-30 necessarily, but you might consider it if you drive really hard.

Originally Posted By: goupfast
I have a ford F150 5.4 with 82k. I will be towing a 4000lb boat-trailer all summer in 80 to 100 temp with alot of steep climbs to higher elevations. This truck is a receint purchase and the previous owner used Castrol GTX 5W/20. I want the best oil period. Money no object and no concern with extended OCI.
Thanks in advance.

I have an '03 F150 with the 5.4L. I've pulled about 6K lbs running Motorcraft 5W20 or lately Synpower 5W30 with no problems. I would also have no hesitations running GTX. Quaker State Q Horsepower and Q Torquepower are good options as well.

If you are worried about oil temps, just go with a synthetic. It will maintain its viscosity better than a convention oil.

FYI, I towed a 5,000 lbs box trailer AND had stuff in the bed of my 2.3L I-4 Ranger XLT. From Florida to Georgia and then back. Helped a relative move and my F150 and Titan were both working at some of my remaining building sites.

I really wouldn't stress. Fords are overbuilt, especially if it is a 2004 or newer, and you probably won't even realize the trailer is there with the 5.4L. If you are truly worried, take it out of overdrive. This will increase revs, but reduce cylinder pressure, and therefore the likely hood of knock and ping. Additionally, since the oil and water pump function in direct correlation to engine speed, you will increase the pressure and flow rate of both. That means better lube and cooling.

Pulling 2 tons in a full sized truck is nothing. Especially with 5.0L+ of displacement.

Amsoil or Redline if you want the best. Other good oils that will serve well Mobil 1, P Platinum, Castrol syntec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back