Oil for Powerhouse 500--Mobil 1 or generic 15-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Powerhouse 500 home generator and the manual calls for 15w-40 oil.
I didn't have any 15w-40, but I had some Mobil 1 10w-30 and 15w-50 so I mixed those two together. It seems to run pretty ok but I have only run it 30-40 minutes at a time.

This generator has a 31cc motor made in China. I like it because it is very small an light and can run probably 24 hours on a gallon, although it doesnt' have high output it at least can get me going if I run my battery down while camping and of course if the power goes off I have lights and TV.

I am hoping that using Mobil 1 would make up for the difference in vicosity.

I also have a Yamaha 1000 generator that specs 10w-40, I think.

Neither of these seem to call for a particular quality of oil, just automotive motor oil of the particular viscosity. I know synthetic oil is supposed to have better extreme cold and hot running characteristics, but I don't know a lot about VII and all those other things on this BITOG.

I forgot to mention it only uses 7.5 oz, so I was just using up some that I had. I ran it a couple of times then changed it for fresh oil, but it might be a while before it needs it again.

You're good... I'd use your mix or either the 15w50 alone until you run out and then a 15w40 diesel oil.

Customers drop off Powerhouse pieces of junk all day long. I just stopped being a warranty dealer. Take it back and get a Honda. I'm being a jerk about it for a reason. Run any oil you want and change it as much as you want, it's still junk. Here's a small list: compression release mechanism breaking, bad ignition modules, replaced hundreds of recoil starter assemblies, broken connecting rods, all sorts of valve and valve seat issues, worn cams, auto-choke mechanism will fail, and don't get me started on the generator side.

Air cooled generators run really hot so I'd recommend looking for synth oil with the lowest NOACK and highest flash point. Castrol synth and Pennzoil ultra have very good NOACK but not sure if Pennzoil has 15w40. Castrol should though.

Well I can't take it back because I"ve had it too long.

I will get some Rotella after I use this stuff up. I don't have a need to run it overnight yet, but I was wondering how it would do on the mix.

I was wondering how the syn would compare to regular oil, can it make up for the lower viscosity at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back