0W-40 Dexos?

Folks- Mom’s new 2024 Camaro with the 6.2 calls for Mobil 1 0W-40 that is Dexos licensed. In my research, I have found Mobil 1 0W-40 Supercar to carry that Dexos approval.

It is a bit spendy. How would Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 Euro stack up? Pretty reasonable in the 12qt box at Walmart.

I am pleased to see that thing calling for a 40wt.

That is looking to be the case. M1 Supercar it is.
Its a pretty new spec after 1-2 oil changes there will probably be options.
but the manual specifically calls out that spec and says its not the right oil without both spec and 0w40.
Is it really an issue? esp for non track use.. probably not.

link to owners manual if anyone is interested.

Its a pretty new spec after 1-2 oil changes there will probably be options.
but the manual specifically calls out that spec and says its not the right oil without both spec and 0w40.
Is it really an issue? esp for non track use.. probably not.

link to owners manual if anyone is interested.
It doesn’t sound like a bad spec. I guess just surprised no other options. But I understand being new and GM partnership with M1. Good for them to call out a 0W-40 for track use.

It doesn’t sound like a bad spec. I guess just surprised no other options. But I understand being new and GM partnership with M1. Good for them to call out a 0W-40 for track use.
actually they call out 15w50 as acceptable for track use only.
Which seems odd as there is a supercar 5w50...
1706399445050.jpg

When the vehicle is operated off-road then there are additional recommendations that can be made. Otherwise it must be only the exact oil that was used for fuel economy testing.

The fact that only one oil is listed for the LZ1 1LE indicates that the engine is somewhat on the cusp for HT/HS.

Supercar is good oil, but Porsche A40, MB229.5 and BMW LL01 are going to be more stringent approvals.
I would use Supercar now, after the warranty, and anything with those approvals, regardless of grade. Supercar is good oil, but not sure it justifies the price.
This is great info thank you. I am new to this euro approval/spec realm but have some research to do.

Folks- Mom’s new 2024 Camaro with the 6.2 calls for Mobil 1 0W-40 that is Dexos licensed. In my research, I have found Mobil 1 0W-40 Supercar to carry that Dexos approval.

It is a bit spendy. How would Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 Euro stack up? Pretty reasonable in the 12qt box at Walmart.

I am pleased to see that thing calling for a 40wt.
Use the M1 supercar its whats required for that camaro . do not cheap out . If you want to cheap trade it in and get a Chevy Trax . The Ecotec 1.2L turbo probably only takes 3.5qt of your Favorite superTech oil 🤔

The fact that only one oil is listed for the LZ1 1LE indicates that the engine is somewhat on the cusp for HT/HS.

In 2016 the SS actually spec'ed a 5W30, 5W40 Dexos2 oil was recommended for track use with the same verbiage about 15W50. I guess people/GM didn't like using "Diesel oil" so they made their own Racing spec "R" and called their oil "Supercar" to get more people to use it :D

For the ZL1 1LE, 15W-50 is the required track oil due to the increased lateral acceleration capability of the vehicle. It has enough of a grip capacity increase above all the other models that the added protection from 15W-50 is needed. The thicker 50 weight viscosity helps with oil pan drawdown when the oil gets hot on the track and reduces risk of pressure dropouts. For the ZL1, 15w-50 will add protection but is not required, as the 0w-40 was tested and provides adequate protection in a track environment.

Since Mobil 1 15w50 is not Dexos-certified, it is not recommended for long-term street driving use. Follow the Owner’s Manual and switch back to the 0W-40 Dexos-certified oil after your track session is over and you are back to street use.
With regard to the new Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP Dexos 2 oil, it is an acceptable oil for both the street and track, for the SS, SS 1LE, and the ZL1 due to having less aeration. However, it is not recommended for tracking your ZL1 1LE.

That is looking to be the case. M1 Supercar it is.
That engine uses M1 ESP 0W-40, which was Dexos2 and renamed Supercar. They changed spec to DexosR without changing the formula. You can use M1 ESP X3 0W-40 also probably which is the Porsche C40 oil and also has Dexos2, but it's not any cheaper. I'm going to guess that engine could safely run the Euro FS 0W-40 since you don't have a GPF, but I would just stick to the Supercar in warranty period.

That engine uses M1 ESP 0W-40, which was Dexos2 and renamed Supercar. They changed spec to DexosR without changing the formula. You can use M1 ESP X3 0W-40 also probably which is the Porsche C40 oil and also has Dexos2, but it's not any cheaper. I'm going to guess that engine could safely run the Euro FS 0W-40 since you don't have a GPF, but I would just stick to the Supercar in warranty period.
Thanks this history and lineage gives some insight. I am just starting to dabble in non HDEO 0W-40 oils.

Euro FS 0W40 is high SAPS. It's not recommended for direct injected engines, like the LT1.

Euro FS 0W40 is high SAPS. It's not recommended for direct injected engines, like the LT1.
The primary concern there was the high calcium (and even that's not really a concern, as LSPI is a small displacement forced induction problem), which is no longer the case since the oil went SP. The slightly higher level of phosphorous when compared to a C40 oil really only matters in applications that have a GPF.

As @Rand posted from the manual, they even allow M1 15W-50 (which is even heavier on the phosphorous) for track use.

It’s nonsensical though. BMW has been recommending full SAPS in the US for turbo DI engines since 2007. This LT1 isn’t even a forced induction engine so LSPI is not a factor, and the oils are SP now anyway as Overkill mentioned above. The only reason one needs to avoid full saps is if your car has a DPF/GPF. You may get an increase in intake valve deposits over time but that’s not been easily demonstrated or well quantified.

The primary concern there was the high calcium (and even that's not really a concern, as LSPI is a small displacement forced induction problem), which is no longer the case since the oil went SP. The slightly higher level of phosphorous when compared to a C40 oil really only matters in applications that have a GPF.

As @Rand posted from the manual, they even allow M1 15W-50 (which is even heavier on the phosphorous) for track use.
what happens if you run 15w50 off the track in d2d driving?

Back