Oil For New Hyundai / Kia DFI + MPI Engines ?

Rob, We bought a brand new 2014 Kia Rio with the 1.6L GDI engine (obviously not the same engine as yours) and the engine was great, zero issues, until 100K miles. Then it started burning oil. Meticulously maintained bumper to bumper and I did all maintenance personally. Full synthetic 5W-20 or 5W-30 every 5K with a quality filter (OEM, WIX, some others too.) Switched to HM oil, changed out the PCV, nothing mattered. Approaching 125K now. Car still runs fine, just have to keep an eye on oil level.
My brother is having the same problem. Likely going to end up being the piston oil rings.

In the USA, the 2.5T engine calls for 0W-30 SN+/SP oil. I'm sticking with Castrol Edge 5W-30 oil with an OCI of 4-5K. I am tempted to run Castrol Edge 0W-40 oil in it but for now, I'll stick with the 30 weight oils.
0W30 = too many viscosity improvers which can cause deposits .

That's not necessarily true, it depends on how the oil is blended. It is possible to blend a 0w-30 with less VII than a 5w-30 by using higher quality base oils for example.
Examples:
1. 5w-30 blended with Yubase, 8-9.1% VII, depending on the base oil blend.
Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 5.35.15 PM.jpg

2. 0w-30 blended with PAO and Yubase, 5.7% VII:
Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 11.31.42 PM.jpg

3. 0w-30 blended with PAO and Mobil's EHC Group II+, 5.7% VII:
Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 11.32.07 PM.jpg

That's not necessarily true, it depends on how the oil is blended.
Thank you for that, Overkill. I've looked at many analyses of 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils to come way with the same conclusion, but I was not quite comfortable with what I believed I understood because of my ignorance.

I always felt that those who espoused that a 10W-30 always had fewer VIs and would shear less than a 5W-30, or have fewer deposits or greater film strength were missing a part of the picture, but I didn't know what I didn't know. Your response and the tables you posted filled in those gaps for me, and I sincerely thank you.

That's not necessarily true, it depends on how the oil is blended. It is possible to blend a 0w-30 with less VII than a 5w-30 by using higher quality base oils for example.
Examples:
1. 5w-30 blended with Yubase, 8-9.1% VII, depending on the base oil blend.
View attachment 95720

2. 0w-30 blended with PAO and Yubase, 5.7% VII:
View attachment 95721

3. 0w-30 blended with PAO and Mobil's EHC Group II+, 5.7% VII:
View attachment 95722
*Thanks for the clarification ... So , because these charts I believe are from Exxon / Mobil would the M1 0W30 ESP and / or AFE oil reflect this ?

One example for a combined DI and MPI strategy and you see it isn't that simple:

View attachment 95301

(you guess it, Audi EA888 3G Euro spec., also found in almost all Euro Golf GTI models, sadly excluding mine)

MPI/DI could be the ultimate technology used in gasoline engines until they are discarded in favor of electrics. OEMs seem to have no further appetite for investing in IC.

*Thanks for the clarification ... So , because these charts I believe are from Exxon / Mobil would the M1 0W30 ESP and / or AFE oil reflect this ?
You are quite welcome.

Possibly, but not necessarily. They are just blending examples, but it does show that PAO in the base oil blend can drive down the VII requirements, if that's the desire of the blender. Ultimately, how the blender wants the product to perform in service will be the primary driver as to how this is executed, and that includes the approvals the product is expected to meet.

I have one of the new 2.5L Hyundai Smart stream engines. Currently running Havoline Pro-DS lifelong 0W-20. Meets the specs, affordable and the engine runs nice and smooth on it
I have one of the new 2.5L Hyundai Smart stream engines. Currently running Havoline Pro-DS lifelong 0W-20. Meets the specs, affordable and the engine runs nice and smooth on it.View attachment 94674
Love love Havoline Pro-DS full synthetic 6qt eco box. Can't go wrong @ $19.97ea. It's just too **** good a deal to pass up!

Back