Oil For New Hyundai / Kia DFI + MPI Engines ?

I see new 2022 / 2023 engines from Hyundai / Kia have gone to the combo DFI + MPI engine designs (should be a big improvement in keeping intake valves clean !) ... I have not seen what grade oils Hyundai recommends with these engines - but it stands to reason you may possibly be able to safely extend the OCI versus the former DFI engines which require lower mile OCI's due to soot and fuel dilution from the straight DFI engine design ... Then again , the new for them DFI + MPI engine designs may only help to keep intake valves clean with the added MPI ?

MPI is better for certain things vs GDI.

So I'm sure its actually going to use both in regular operation.. not just bandaid on some MPI to keep valves clean.

Which engines? Powertrain was the main thing I didn't like about our Palisade. I tried doing a intake valve cleaner at the last oil change but it was a PITA trying to do it by myself.

I believe that a UOA would be in order if you want to see how motor oil is performing, and what you drain interval should be.

But what trumps that is the owners maintenance guide, and you need to keep within Hyundai warranty.

I have one of the new 2.5L Hyundai Smart stream engines. Currently running Havoline Pro-DS lifelong 0W-20. Meets the specs, affordable and the engine runs nice and smooth on it.
PXL_20220326_180804191.jpg

new 2022 / 2023 engines from Hyundai / Kia
We just bought a 2022 Kia Rio MPI and plan on running PP or PUP. Also have a 2021 Kia Niro with only GDI which I'm not too fond of. Valvoline has low carbon oil for GDI if you want to give it a shot. All Mobil burns in the Kia cars we've had. Supertech has a lower NOACK compared to others, so I stay clear of that as well. Pre GDI crap, I'd use any fully synth API certified oil that's on sale.

I have one of the new 2.5L Hyundai Smart stream engines. Currently running Havoline Pro-DS lifelong 0W-20. Meets the specs, affordable and the engine runs nice and smooth on it.View attachment 94674
*Yes , this is one of the new Hyundai / Kia engines used in sedans / SUV's ... What oil grades are permitted with the new 2.5L GDI + MPI engine ? The former 2017 2.4L GDI engine listed 5W20 , 5W30 & 10W30 as being permitted in the OM .

We just bought a 2022 Kia Rio MPI and plan on running PP or PUP. Also have a 2021 Kia Niro with only GDI which I'm not too fond of. Valvoline has low carbon oil for GDI if you want to give it a shot. All Mobil burns in the Kia cars we've had. Supertech has a lower NOACK compared to others, so I stay clear of that as well. Pre GDI crap, I'd use any fully synth API certified oil that's on sale.
One would think you'd want a lower Noack. A lower number means less evaporation and burnoff.

*Yes , this is one of the new Hyundai / Kia engines used in sedans / SUV's ... What oil grades are permitted with the new 2.5L GDI + MPI engine ? The former 2017 2.4L GDI engine listed 5W20 , 5W30 & 10W30 as being permitted in the OM .
Per the bureaucratic CAFE standards, they only list 0W-20 for the NA 2.5L, 2.5T lists OW-30, API SN Plus or greater.

Attachments

• PXL_20220331_213254569.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220331_213254569.MP.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 95
Toyota went to a direct injection/multi port setup I want to say if I remember correctly the multi port runs periodically at idle say at a stop light to lessen direct injection deposits. I would say 0&5w20 would be suitable.

Per the bureaucratic CAFE standards, they only list 0W-20 for the NA 2.5L, 2.5T lists OW-30, API SN Plus or greater.
*Interesting that Hyundai / Kia kept the same boiler plate verbiage regarding viscosity - yet they only show the 0W20 ? ... I'd be curious what other countries allow for oil weight in this engine ?

A friend of mine bought a '22 Santa Fe last week and we did the first oil and filter change at 500 km (313 miles). Destined for the Middle East, it comes with the 3.5L Smartstream V6 MPI engine and the owner's manual calls for an oil meeting ACEA A5/B5 that's naturally a 5W-30. Naturally, Shell is the recommended brand. Suggested maintenance intervals are 10,000 km (6,250 miles) for normal service and 5,000 km (3,000 miles) for severe service.

Attachments

• 20220325_174454.jpg
    20220325_174454.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 41
Interesting, I just bought a used 2019 Hyundai Tucson 2.0L GDI, for my wife last Friday (My son rolled the 2012 Santa Fe in my signature, thank God he's okay, but safety wise, these are the real deal.)

I was chatting with the sales manager and he told me they use Quaker State Synthetic blend 5W-20 in pretty much everything, from brand new to 300,000 miles. I asked specifically about the new engines and he said it didn't matter.

So, yeah......

Rob, We bought a brand new 2014 Kia Rio with the 1.6L GDI engine (obviously not the same engine as yours) and the engine was great, zero issues, until 100K miles. Then it started burning oil. Meticulously maintained bumper to bumper and I did all maintenance personally. Full synthetic 5W-20 or 5W-30 every 5K with a quality filter (OEM, WIX, some others too.) Switched to HM oil, changed out the PCV, nothing mattered. Approaching 125K now. Car still runs fine, just have to keep an eye on oil level.

*This is not for the new 2.5L GDI + MPI engine , just older turbo engines. Yet - I recognize the ability to run additional oil weights in other countries without harm to the engine .

One example for a combined DI and MPI strategy and you see it isn't that simple:

EA888 3G dual injection mapping.jpg

(you guess it, Audi EA888 3G Euro spec., also found in almost all Euro Golf GTI models, sadly excluding mine)

Back