Oil for my tired and scored 4.0 (pics inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Oops forgot to mention I'm in california so my winter might get down to the high 30's. Right now its about 82 out and I'm at 500feet ubove sea level but often take it up into the 8-10,000 foot range. She still has plenty of power. Any suggestions on oil weight?

I would recommend a 40 weight dino oil to start. I don't think you'll be keeping anything in service long enough to warrant a synth. The engine could care less what you put in it ..on the heavy side, anyway. My son, as an experiment, used 15w-40 last winter with a week in the single digits. Aside from a few less mpg due to shorter trips ..you would never know it was there.

I'd wait to see what consumption is eased or exacerbated with the Auto-Rx cleanings before going up or down in visc. You're looking at about 4-5k before you're done (IIRC).

So that is what Slick50 looks like after it has cycled through an engine
98124487-L.gif

One of the biggest problems this engine has is right there in this photo:

2w2fnua.jpg

You guys are doing a great job informing Mr. Pennock. Keep it coming.

(Yes the grease like goop looks like H2O emulsion). Poor engine maintenance and off roading had more to do with this condition than oil choice.
deadhorse.gif

4-5k WOW, didn't see that coming, how depressing.
Guess its time to start building.
It doesn't much if any oil now and it just passed smog with flying colors
I think I can get at least 10k out of her.

Quote:

I think Gary was referring to an Auto-RX cleaning, not the life of your engine.

Quote:

I think that you'll get much more if your power level is decent. I think you're looking at years of wheeling if nothing breaks.

Read this. You'll see substantial results with the first cleaning. There's just a limit to how much it can suspend in 6 quarts of oil and how much one filter is going to trap.

I solved the problem of leaking PCV on two 2001 XJ I6-242 engines by

A] Going to dealer for revised parts: new connecting hoses, and valve cover inserts.

B] Installed both with a thick cork gasket cut from a bag of assorted FEL-PRO gasket material from NAPA.

Cut the gasket in a donut shape that closely fits body of inserted tube or valve and is larger than the cover insert by about 1/4. Install on top of insert, install remainder on top of that.

I'd get a new oil fill cover for yours, too.

I'd like to know what gas and or gasoline additives you use to keep the piston tops so clean. Either that or the water you ingested steam cleaned the cylinder!

Screw expensive oil in that bad boy. 10w-30 of your choosing if consumption is reasonable. If it eats oil, mix in 2 quarts of 20w-50 or more depending...

Or run a 15w-40 like Shell Rotella or Chevron Delo and enevr think twice about it. You have WAY WAY more than 10K in that sucker if you maintain it.

Like Gman indicated, ditch the valve cover breather and reinstall the factory PCV setup! All the breather does is create a huge vacuum leak (if you don't plug the fresh air side). Make or purchase a PCV catch can to go along with the factory PCV setup if you're concerned about blow by contaminating the intake tract.

Last edited:
Quote:

I solved the problem of leaking PCV on two 2001 XJ I6-242 engines by

A] Going to dealer for revised parts: new connecting hoses, and valve cover inserts.

B] Installed both with a thick cork gasket cut from a bag of assorted FEL-PRO gasket material from NAPA.

Cut the gasket in a donut shape that closely fits body of inserted tube or valve and is larger than the cover insert by about 1/4. Install on top of insert, install remainder on top of that.

I'd get a new oil fill cover for yours, too.

So the cork goes between the valve cover and the rubber grommet/insert/whatchacallit, or on top of the rubber?

I took the rear CCV assembly off the valve cover and sprayed TB cleaner throught the tube with the engine running. cleaned it out, I guess, and no more seepage from the one up front.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What in G0D's name does this have to do with Pennzoil? ("penziol")
fighter.gif

Penzoil is paraffin base, its liquid wax

Wup.. Forgot who I was preechen to for a moment there, guess theres no room to be professor in someone elses classroom. Thank you all for having patience in informing the ignoramious newbie.
Drew- I cleaned all carbon buildup befor the pic.
Tansedan- Thank you I'll revert back to original ways to to seal/cork the system as neccessay, ive tried everything so im open to anything.
Gary & Mark - Thank you for your time and superior advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back