Oil for BMW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, I believe Terry recommends Redline to a lot of his LS1 Corvette and F-body customers. And if I had the cash for a Corvette, I wouldn't mind spending $17 a quart for oil.
smile.gif

Wow, it's (Red Line) $17 a qrt in Canada. I thought I had it bad at $7.76 a qrt.! Maybe there's a conversional difference, but that still sounds expensive!

quote:

Originally posted by mf150:
Wow, it's (Red Line) $17 a qrt in Canada. I thought I had it bad at $7.76 a qrt.! Maybe there's a conversional difference, but that still sounds expensive!

$17 CDN works out to $12.75 US!

Yeah...and don't forget to add 15% on that higher amount too!!

You guys want sick??? I put in Castrol TWS 10-60 in my car last night!! Got it at the local dealer. I was off...the price was $13.5/qt.

The oil doesn't seem thick at all...I would say that it's possibly a shade thinner than M-1 15-50 at about 80F (outside temp.). Very nice, smooth consistency. I was expecting a thick oil, but not at all. Seat of the pants feel confirms the slightly thinner if not about the same as M-1. Time will tell...

Let's just say that it did not seem a **** of a lot thicker than Syntec 5-50...but, the color was much lighter.

I just expected it to be much thicker....it is a 60 weight after all! So at 25C, it should be thicker than M-1's 15-50...that's what the spec's show. It will only be thinner at -20 to -25C because it's a 10 weight (comp. to 15). But, it did not seem thicker than anything else I've seen...if anything it seemed thinner than 15-50 or 20-50's OTC....just an FYI...maybe this is why they're using these grades in EU/Aus., etc....dunno....but, the car runs great....less drag than M-1 15-50...

Dr. T, wow 10W-60. I guess you won't have to add any oil between changes!
grin.gif

Did you do a UOA on the old Castrol Syntec? Will you do one on the 10W-60. I have never seen a UOA on the BMW 10W-60.

[ July 10, 2003, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

Why would you expect it to look thick? By being a 10w oil that right there would tell you it's viscosity at room temperature would be even thinner than the 15w50 oil you've used in the past.

Yeah, I will do one eventually. I want to run it one cycle first. Yes, I do not want to have to add any oil during the 9k mi. interval, save for 1 qt. tops...but, seeing the stats on oil consumption with the M3...who knows...

But, I'll tell ya, you get what you pay for. This lube is awesome stuff...do not be scared of the 60 weight at all. The car takes off and runs waaaay better than M-1 15-50...and runs smoother than the Syntec 5-50 which is good stuff and I'd still recommend it, but since did some good cleaning out of my internals (better than M-1) I wanted something slightly thicker....as they thinned out their SL formulation. The thrust to try it was also on the heels of replacing the rear diff fluid with the spec'd Castrol SAF-XJ (75-140)...diff runs mucho better than the thin OTC Syntec 75-90. These are quality lubes...but time will tell...will keep ya'll posted...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back