Oil for a Ford 2.8 L Cologne V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I haven't posted in a while.

I have a question. I have recently acquired my late grandfather's 1985 Bronco II. It has a 2.8 L Carbed V6.

It only has 60,000 original miles on it. I have the engine running as it sat for a while and am in the process of replacing the trans pump seal to stop a pretty bad leak.

My question is what oil would be suitable for a v6 of this vintage? I believe it is the flat tappet cam that wants the zinc content of oils of the past, but you all are much more knowledgeable then I am on the subject.

I plan to daily drive this vehicle to keep the miles off of my 16 F150.

Would a HDEO be more suitable? I am a fan of the Rotella line of products.

I have also used Valvoline and Motorcraft products successfully in the past.

I would like to be able to purchase the oil at my local Walmart.

Given that you live in TN I see no reason to not run Rotella T6 5w40, it's affordable and has 1100+ppm of Zinc

Last edited:
I think Havoline 10W30 Synthetic Blend would be a good choice. If you prefer a synthetic, Havoline Pro DS 10W30 would work.

That mild engine does not need an oil with a lot of Zn. Modern oils are quite capable (more so) than oils of 1985. That engine was spec'd for 10w-30. Today, any modern 10w-30 or 5w-30 would work just fine. If you like conventional that would be fine. If you want to try a synthetic, that would be ok too. I cannot recommend an HDEO for that engine. WalMart's SuperTech synthetic or conventional would be light years ahead of what was available in 1985.

Last edited:
Any idea what your grandfather used ????

But enjoy your ride, those 2.8L motors are tuff as hail
I bought a new 1983 Ranger with that engine
Loved it !!!! Wish I still had it

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
That mild engine does not need an oil with a lot of Zn. Modern oils are quite capable (more so) than oils of 1985. That engine was spec'd for 10w-30. Today, any modern 10w-30 or 5w-30 would work just fine. If you like conventional that would be fine. If you want to try a synthetic, that would be ok too. I cannot recommend an HDEO for that engine. WalMart's SuperTech synthetic or conventional would be light years ahead of what was available in 1985.

Most modern oils are made for fuel efficiency and environmental friendliness.

A 1985 Bronco was made for neither fuel efficiency nor environmental friendliness.

An HDEO will be fine. If 5w40 T6 worries you, go with 10w30 T5 or Delo 400 XLE

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis

A 1985 Bronco was made for neither fuel efficiency nor environmental friendliness.

My 1993 F150 with the 4.9l (300 ci) engine was designed in the mid 60's (hydraulic flat tappets). It has enjoyed a happy life of modern oils for the 16 years I've owned it. An HDEO (SX rated) would be fine. But not necessary.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx

Back when I owned mine
I ran 10W-30 QSGB

But those little motors will run great on just about anything

Last edited:
ZDDP levels were higher then, GM motors were known for flat cams, but I don't remember many Fords having that problem. I have to agree with the poster above on T5 10W30-if I had to pick ONE oil from my stash to run in everything, it would be a dead heat between T5 10W30 & Mobil Delvac 1/ESP 5W40, they're both that good.

Originally Posted by kstanf150

Found a quart of 10w-30 Motorcraft in it when i picked it up. I assume it is a synthetic blend.

I noticed Walmart has a 10w-30 motorcraft blend marked as heavy duty diesel oil. I may just run that or a rotella T. I used to run the convential rotella t in my 95 f150 with a 300 straight 6. It seemed to do well.

Originally Posted by ford4wd08

Found a quart of 10w-30 Motorcraft in it when i picked it up. I assume it is a synthetic blend.

I noticed Walmart has a 10w-30 motorcraft blend marked as heavy duty diesel oil. I may just run that or a rotella T. I used to run the convential rotella t in my 95 f150 with a 300 straight 6. It seemed to do well.

Pretty sure the 10W-30 MC you found is straight out Dino oil
But I guess it's according to how old it is I suppose

Reg Dino oil is all I used back then as well and that 2.8 will run just fine on it now also ðŸ‘

Last edited:

Reg Dino oil is all I used back then as well and that 2.8 will run just fine on it now also ðŸ‘

I'll have to go look at the quart. I still have it. It was full! Lol. Luckily no oil leaks that i can see other than the trans.

I'll have to go look at the quart. I still have it. It was full! Lol. Luckily no oil leaks that i can see other than the trans.

Send us a pic of the quart bottleðŸ‘

Given that the same basic V6 was used until 2000 (until the SOHC 4.0 came out, which was little more than a OHC'd version of the same engine, a la GM 3.4 DOHC), one would think any conventional 10W-30 would be fine. As previous posters have said, modern oils are much better. Perhaps a 5W-40, as also mentioned.

I don't see anything wrong with a HDEO, there's probably some deposits inside the engine from years of cheap fuel and lesser quality oils. Use a quality oil and synthetic oil filter, you'll be fine.

Those old Bronco II's are getting hard to find! Congrats, definitely a cool truck. You didn't give many details, though! 4x4? Higher trim level? Manual or auto?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 14Accent
Given that the same basic V6 was used until 2000 (until the SOHC 4.0 came out, which was little more than a OHC'd version of the same engine, a la GM 3.4 DOHC), one would think any conventional 10W-30 would be fine. As previous posters have said, modern oils are much better. Perhaps a 5W-40, as also mentioned.

I don't see anything wrong with a HDEO, there's probably some deposits inside the engine from years of cheap fuel and lesser quality oils. Use a quality oil and synthetic oil filter, you'll be fine.

Those old Bronco II's are getting hard to find! Congrats, definitely a cool truck.

No real need for a synthetic oil filter either.
This truck was built when oil filters werent half of what at Fram Extended Guard is now, much less a tough guard or ultra.

Those old Bronco II's are getting hard to find! Congrats, definitely a cool truck.

No real need for a synthetic oil filter either.
This truck was built when oil filters werent half of what at Fram Extended Guard is now, much less a tough guard or ultra.

aLa 3.4 GM ???
What does that mean ?

Those old Bronco II's are getting hard to find! Congrats, definitely a cool truck. You didn't give many details, though! 4x4? Higher trim level? Manual or auto?

Its a XLT auto 4x4 with crank windows and manual locks. Drove it a lot asa teenager and took my grandmother fishing in it when she was living. The hardest thing on it was sitting in the sun for years. I'm going to restore it and keep it for as long as I'm around.

For more info and pictures check out my thread over at ranger station:

https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/papaws-bii.181793/

A HDEO with a good dose of Zddp like Rotella T6 5W-40 would probably work well.

Here in Europe, 15W-40 or 20W-50 was the Ford specified viscosity recommended for them.

Last edited:
Sound it sounds like I am pretty safe to run any 5w-40, 10w-30, or 5w-30.

I'll probably stick with Rotella or Motorcraft, is one better than the other for this particular application?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back