Oil for a Ford 2.8 L Cologne V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ford4wd08
Sound it sounds like I am pretty safe to run any 5w-40, 10w-30, or 5w-30.

I'll probably stick with Rotella or Motorcraft, is one better than the other for this particular application?

Rotella
The Rotella Gas Truck would be a good choice

Originally Posted by kstanf150

I'll probably stick with Rotella or Motorcraft, is one better than the other for this particular application?

Rotella

I'm running the RGT in my 16 Ecoboost.

Only one oil change so fair, but seems like it is a good oil.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Originally Posted by 14Accent
Given that the same basic V6 was used until 2000 (until the SOHC 4.0 came out, which was little more than a OHC'd version of the same engine, a la GM 3.4 DOHC), one would think any conventional 10W-30 would be fine. As previous posters have said, modern oils are much better. Perhaps a 5W-40, as also mentioned.

I don't see anything wrong with a HDEO, there's probably some deposits inside the engine from years of cheap fuel and lesser quality oils. Use a quality oil and synthetic oil filter, you'll be fine.

Those old Bronco II's are getting hard to find! Congrats, definitely a cool truck.

No real need for a synthetic oil filter either.
This truck was built when oil filters werent half of what at Fram Extended Guard is now, much less a tough guard or ultra.

aLa 3.4 GM ???
What does that mean ?

GM did the same thing in the 90's as ford did to the Cologne V6. Take a pushrod motor, slap some OHC heads on it with the associated parts and bam. There you go. Making the old into new.

Given that the same basic V6 was used until 2000 (until the SOHC 4.0 came out, which was little more than a OHC'd version of the same engine, a la GM 3.4 DOHC), one would think any conventional 10W-30 would be fine. As previous posters have said, modern oils are much better. Perhaps a 5W-40, as also mentioned.

I don't see anything wrong with a HDEO, there's probably some deposits inside the engine from years of cheap fuel and lesser quality oils. Use a quality oil and synthetic oil filter, you'll be fine.

Those old Bronco II's are getting hard to find! Congrats, definitely a cool truck.

No real need for a synthetic oil filter either.
This truck was built when oil filters werent half of what at Fram Extended Guard is now, much less a tough guard or ultra.

aLa 3.4 GM ???
What does that mean ?

GM did the same thing in the 90's as ford did to the Cologne V6. Take a pushrod motor, slap some OHC heads on it with the associated parts and bam. There you go. Making the old into new.

Gotcha ðŸ‘

Rotella

I'm running the RGT in my 16 Ecoboost.

Only one oil change so fair, but seems like it is a good oil.

Just left Wally World and there's nothing on the shelf that's as affordable as RGT
With the $10 rebate it's a steal Almost

I'm a Ford fan (not newer ones) but not a Motorcraft fan. Had undesirable experiences with it in my Fords. Don't know much about RGT but I'm sure it would be fine. Like I said earlier, SuperTech for your Bronco.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx

I'm a Ford fan (not newer ones) but not a Motorcraft fan. Had undesirable experiences with it in my Fords. Don't know much about RGT but I'm sure it would be fine. Like I said earlier, SuperTech for your Bronco.

Was your Motorcraft experience specific to the oil??

I've actually never read a post complaining about the Motorcraft line of oils.

I'm sure it's on this site, but who makes supertech for Walmart?

I know it is a great oil for the price from what I can find.

Last edited:

While I don't own a ford, I did post awhile back of their possibly being an issue with Motorcraft SynBlend being used in Ecoboost applications causing notorious camphaser issues. Seems like every company using high output turbo applications is recommending a full synthetic usually ACEA spec or Dexos spec, while Ford is recommending a Synblend. Many people have complained about fuel dilution in these instances as well. Pair that with the Motorcraft filter failures we've seen in these applications, there are plenty complaints about Motorcraft branded things.

I'd honestly avoid anything not-synthetic in turbo direct injected applications, but that's just me.

Motorcraft will probably work fine in this Bronco, but an HDEO can usually be found cheaper and will exceed the SF rating of 1985

Last edited:

While I don't own a ford, I did post awhile back of their possibly being an issue with Motorcraft SynBlend being used in Ecoboost applications causing notorious camphaser issues. Seems like every company using high output turbo applications is recommending a full synthetic usually ACEA spec or Dexos spec, while Ford is recommending a Synblend. Many people have complained about fuel dilution in these instances as well. Pair that with the Motorcraft filter failures we've seen in these applications, there are plenty complaints about Motorcraft branded things.

I'd honestly avoid anything not-synthetic in turbo direct injected applications, but that's just me.

Motorcraft will probably work fine in this Bronco, but an HDEO can usually be found cheaper and will exceed the SF rating of 1985

I haven't read about the filter issues, I'll have to look into that.

I can see the logic and wonder why the Syn Blend over full synthetic for the turbo direct injections.

My ecoboost will always have a full synthetic ran in it.

I used it in my Ranger, B2500 Van and the F150. The Van didn't (doesn't) care what oil is in it. In the Ford's it quickly sheared. Both trucks have never used oil but they drank the Motorcraft like a drunken sailor. At the time I was putting a lot of miles on the Ranger and I was adding a quart oil every week (about 500 miles). Went back to the Mobil1 I was using at the time and all was back to normal again. Now I'm giving the SuperTech a run and so far I like it better than Mobil1.

I have two 1994 EFI 4.0s with over 200K miles and typically use store brand 10W40 high mileage oil (O'Reilly's or NAPA) and a Wix or NAPA Gold (Wix) filter. I have a Hastings filter for the next change and it looks nice.

My Explorer has some lifter tap when cold since the previous owner was not on top of oil changes, might try Rotella in it next time.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
I have two 1994 EFI 4.0s with over 200K miles and typically use store brand 10W40 high mileage oil (O'Reilly's or NAPA) and a Wix or NAPA Gold (Wix) filter. I have a Hastings filter for the next change and it looks nice.

My Explorer has some lifter tap when cold since the previous owner was not on top of oil changes, might try Rotella in it next time.

Next oil change
Pour in some MMO and drive it for about 10 miles and drain
You'll start to see less lifter tap

So just to update this thread.

I decided to go with Pennzoil Synthetic blend High Mileage in 10w-30 after much debate in the oil aisle at Walmart.

Believe it or not having a 5 qt. jug for Pennzoil pushed me away from the buying Rottella.

Did my first oil change in it yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back