Oil for a car that sees Uber use?

If he thought it out correctly it would have been a better idea to buy it in pure black and drive for Uber Black instead, their "VIP" transport service that costs a lot more. Being a Lexus SUV it's a prime vehicle for Uber Black, and you'd avoid a lot of riff raff. Maybe do Uber Lux instead.

Have you driven for for Uber Black yourself? How many days does it take to get a call in your area?
Uber is for the cheapest common denominator of the demographics, not your towncar business.

Have you driven for for Uber Black yourself? How many days does it take to get a call in your area?
Uber is for the cheapest common denominator of the demographics, not your towncar business.
I think the suggestion is that you sign up for Uber Black so you can get those rides when available. Those that drive for Uber black also switch and do regular rides when Uber black rides aren't available.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Castrol eventually puts Uber/Lyft/Door Dash on one of their oil’s
Seems like an avenue for Pennzoil, unless they got rid of the genius that brought the Start/Stop, Hybrid, and whatever that third variety was to the table a few years back after those were dead on arrival

But ultimately, I am surprised no oil company has cashed in on the "delivery driver/rideshare deluxe blend" yet

But ultimately, I am surprised no oil company has cashed in on the "delivery driver/rideshare deluxe blend" yet
Lyft is offering their own service, Uber has a deal with Jiffy Lube I think. The local Toyota dealer is full of Ubers in the service drive, but a local quick lube offers Uber drivers a discount.

/edit - Uber’s in bed with all the quick lube chains(Jiffy Lube/VIOC), as well as Firestone, Meineke and Midas(now part of Speedee Oil Change and Big O).

I think the suggestion is that you sign up for Uber Black so you can get those rides when available. Those that drive for Uber black also switch and do regular rides when Uber black rides aren't available.
Yep - and Uber’s driver app does delineate by ratings and rides on who gets the most rides and better passengers.

Oh yeah, I had Walmart send me 3 5 quart jugs of Castrol Edge EP 5W-20 for free - they said “your order wasn’t fulfilled” but the next day, a Doordash pulled up with oil. I did score 3 jugs of VML 5W-30 for $5 during the great Walmart website big.

I drove Uber and Lyft for about 9 months as a side hustle back in 2015/early 16 to pay off some debts before my child was born. This was in addition to my full time Monday-Friday IT job. I've done over 1500 rides during my time driving. I used my 2007 Kia Rondo, which was fully paid off and had a trade in value of $1700 at Carmax - I had it evaluated before starting. In my case I used M1 10w-30 high mileage at 10K OCI. The engine ran fine and no oil consumption issues noted.

What really got trashed on mine is not the engine but the brakes. Had to upgrade my rotors and pads, I forget now what I used.

I also had my interior professionally detailed about halfway through the run due to people spilling stuff like sodas, which I eventually wised up and made a no food or drinks rule.

As for the safety aspect, I drove 80-90% late night and didn't have any issues, but then again, the Austin area is (was?) one of the safest large cities in the country at that time. The best money is to be made late night when the surge comes. My goal was never to leave the house unless I was netting $25/hr after putting away for taxes and most of the time I was able to achieve this goal.

Of course, the depreciation was not much of a factor since the car was fully depreciated pretty much. If I still had the Rondo it would probably be worth more money now than it was in 2015, but anyway. You have to balance this against your driver rating, if you have a crappy car you aren't going to get good ratings and can be removed from the platform if your rating falls too low. In my case the Rondo had been well cared for and I kept it clean, and my rating was decent although not the very highest, usually in the 4.7-4.8 range.

It's unrealistic to think you can sustain an Uber/Lyft business on airport runs, everyone wants them. Sure they're good easy money with high-end clientele, but often times you will sit and wait a long time before getting a ride. They now have the airport geo-fenced in most cities so you have to sit in an certain area and get in a queue before you can get a ride. And you don't make money sitting still waiting. For someone who was using the platform to supplement their day job, there's no point in sitting still waiting for a ride, I could be at home sitting on my couch watching TV waiting for a ride.

I tend to agree a mixed fleet HDEO, or otherwise M1 / Edge / PP-Euro in 0/5W40 a long-life Euro oil with A3/B4, MB 229.5 and Porsche A40.
If one used HDMO in your Uber car, I would recommend Delvac 1300 10w30, because the phosphorous on the Delvac 1300 seems to be under 800 ppm in their product line, so better for your cat(s).

PQIA link to Delo 1300 15w40, 10w30 similar (just don't remember where I saw the VOA on it)

Any API SN Plus rated 0W-20 will do. Just stick to the “severe service” schedule. M1EP is a solid choice.

I personally think that Uber driving is worse than normal driving. Most people may have a few trips of city/stop and go per day or week. Depending on the rides, an Uber car may experience 10-20x more city driving than the average vehicle.
Why would you recommend an out of date API service category?

Because SN plus is the one that is required by the manual and there is still plenty of SN Plus floating around on the shelves. SP is better but not needed.
I see. So you’re recommending that he dig through the oil on the shelves until he finds one of lesser quality that meets a now obsolete API service category because he doesn’t need a higher quality oil, even though you said “I personally think that Uber driving is worse than normal driving.” That makes perfect sense.

Last edited:
I see. So you’re recommending that he dig through the oil on the shelves until he finds one of lesser quality that meets a now obsolete API service category because he doesn’t need a higher quality oil, even though you said “I personally think that Uber driving is worse than normal driving.” That makes perfect sense.
Dude, there is a friggen oil shortage, especially in the 0W-XX viscosities. He’s going to have to take what he can get. Stop trying to be a condescending jackass (you’re bad at it) and have a Merry Christmas.

Uber driving isn't any worse on a car than normal driving. It isn't the racetrack. Whatever was good enough for regular driving is good enough for Uber.

5k OCIs is absolutely silly as well.
Oil brand not important as long as you meet the spec. Just do your oil changes when you should.

There is MS-6395 which was carried out with fleets of taxis.
I’m under the impression one of Ford’s standards was also done with taxi/police/limo fleets as well - seeing the Crown Vic and Town Car(as well as the mod motor V8s) were a mainstay with many, if not all law enforcement and livery fleets.

He’s told me he won’t drive at night. He actually enjoys going on longer trips so far. This car is a hybrid - so there will more extreme temperature swings, Toyota axed the coolant thermos system used on the first 12 years(1997 JDM until 2009 global model) of Prius used in favor of a exhaust heat recovery system on all their hybrids.

But given my experiences with a Prius burning oil, the temp swings are a consideration - oil coking at the rings.
All the more reason for quality oil and 5K or so oil changes. M1 EP 0W-20 is an excellent choice. And, FWIW, run Top Tier fuel.

All the more reason for quality oil and 5K or so oil changes. M1 EP 0W-20 is an excellent choice. And, FWIW, run Top Tier fuel.
I told him Arco, Costco, Chevron or Shell are top tier. The local Safeway is cheaper and moves a lot of gas per day - I’m adding in a bottle of Gumout Regaine or Techron every 10K.

I’m switching the car to 5W-30 once all the M1EP 0W-20 is used up.

Back