Oil filters-NAPA Gold= Wix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

To me it seems like the top tier 6$ napa filter would be comparable to the P1 in filtration, but apparently its not much better (if any) than any filter you can get.

I wouldn't say that. I'd just not put it up quite as far as P1 in filtration. Keep in mind that you're probably not looking at THAT much difference. The cost factor probably has more to do with being connected to the most expensive parts chain in the nation ..but that's typically backdropped by also carrying a diverse product line that includes a multitude of applications that you won't find @ PB, AZ, AA, or whomever (WM,K-mart, etc.).

With the exception of (perhaps) MC, most of your lower offerings are not suitable (IMO) for anything beyond 5k OCIs. Typically the ADBV will be shot by then. Many (the standard FRAM for one) will konk out around 3k. If that's your projected OCI, and you're either unwilling to ..or unable to due to your service/time factors, then you might as well buy a lower priced filter.

That is, if you can't get $6 worth of use out of a filter ...don't buy a $6 filter
dunno.gif

Quote:

I'd just not put it up quite as far as P1 in filtration. Keep in mind that you're probably not looking at THAT much difference.

Not that much of a difference? Thats what I was thinking (and hoping for). But reading some threads about NG and P1 some people make it sound like they are drastically different and go so far as to claim the P1 is a 5um filter and the NG is 20ish. After reading so many of those I was wondering what was up.

I'm sure the P1 (and purolator as a company) are excellent, but I think there is way to much misinformation on the web specifically in regards to purolator "exaggerated" filtration abilities. Ive seen claims the the premium plus was 100% effective at 10um.

Anyways, my rant is over. I just have to stop listening to all the oil filter experts I stumble upon online who get their info online.

Thanks
assimilation.gif
bop.gif

Well, there are no full flow filters that are rated at 5um for automotive use. Those rated like that in hydraulic/industrial/non-combustion filtration are very expensive. They would have to be huge to be in service for very long. The metered bypass filters get away with finer ratings due to the reduced flow ..but you're still looking at a sensible holding capacity for the given media area inside the can.

If Grease's filter study was on line (it may be) ..it showed data on most of the filters. Tim Schultz, an engineer at PALL, did the testing. He used a bubble machine, and although I don't recall how it determines the pore variance, it showed the largest pores and the average pore size ..and whatnot. He then took swatches of media and flow tested them @ 10 psi. Lots of work.

Any of the upper level filters will last in service for 15k or more without saturation in terms of loading (assuming that it's accumulated in a timely manner - like one year). From there you can pick your level of filtration. The lower offerings are good for a 5k stretch mainly due to cheaper components like the ADBV. They'll also allow a much higher level of particles to accumulate over extended (5k and beyond) mileage. These stick around and play pinball inside the engine. If you're hitting the reset button often enough, then you're okay doing that. If you're not on the short end of it ...then you will probably want something that captures more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back