Oil Filter Wrench for Acura MDX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Removing the oil filter from my 2015 Acura MDX was a real pain in the rear for my first oil change. My current filter wrench will not fit over the end, such that the ratchet will go in as well. The end of the oil filter is too close to the cross member.

So my main question is what filter wrench are people using for their Acura MDX's? I imagine it is probably a similar problem with other models with the J35 engine (Pilot, Odyssey, etc.)? I've done some research, but it is a little difficult figuring out what oil filter wrench will fit best (I don't like universal strap wrenches).

I typically use Mobil 1 or Fram Ultra oil filters, and not Honda/Acura OEM filters, which I believe are a little different in size from each other. I believe Acura sells a "low profile" filter wrench that will work on the OEM filters.

This sounds a little crazy, but I keep a Honda OEM cup wrench on hand just to remove the factory filter. My other cup wrenches can't quite get a grip on the flutes or shiny finish and spin or slip off.

I don't know who's putting these on so darn tight on the line, but our last four Hondas have been on very hard to remove.

Strap wrench. I know you said you do not like them but if they do the job then why not. After changing oil on various family vehicles since around 1969, I have a pile of oil filter wrenches. I never toss one when I sell a vehicle. Maybe I am an oil filter wrench hoarder??

On my Jeep I always use a strap wrench. The access is good for a strap wrench and since I put on the filter it will not be too tight coming off.

I used a strap wrench cinched as close as possible to the baseplate when I first got my Fit.

Last oil change I was rushing and strong armed it on a bit, may need to use it again for my own overtightening. But I always lube the gasket so probably ok.

Honda OEM filters are the tightest on the planet to take off after that no problems gotta have a good cup wrench.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Honda OEM filters are the tightest on the planet to take off.

Oh, great. I have that to look forward to.

So no one has any ideas for a good "low profile" cup wrench?

Cup sockets often don't work all that well for factory filters. Once you start changing it yourself, however, any generic cup socket sized for your filter will work. I don't use any sockets or wrenches on mine...they get tightened about 3/4 of a turn at install and they come off by hand (the textured grip helps).

For stubborn ones, you someones have to run a screwdriver through them. I think that's partly due to dry installs (not lubricating the gasket ring), but I could be wrong.

Originally Posted By: kjbock
The end of the oil filter is too close to the cross member.

A thin band wrench should be able to slide in between the oil filter and the cross member real easy.
The swivel handle makes it easy to avoid obstructions. K-D SWIVOIL is the tool brand and model name.
They come in four different sizes to fit all oil filters. Give me the diameter of the oil filter and I will give you the part number and a link of where to buy the filter wrench.

KDFilterWrench.jpg

I have both of these available just in case. Since I have been changing oil myself, the filters are no longer stuck.

Previous 2007 RDX owner for 7 years - used the awkward "C" clamp wrench that was good enough to get the filter moving and loosen by hand.
I have the 2014 ODY as well and the factory filter was impossible to remove, until I used that [censored] "C" crimp - oil filter wrench and dented the [censored] out of it.

After that, I purchased the two below to have in the arsenal.

41gd0o9Ph8L.jpg

41TzJlIadJL.jpg

AMAZON Items

I have a cup style oil filter wrench purchased specifically for the S2000 and it works great. I also use it for the Accord.
oil filter wrench

It has an opening which allows a screwdriver to be inserted to remove the wrench from the oil filter after installation/removal.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Cup sockets often don't work all that well for factory filters. Once you start changing it yourself, however, any generic cup socket sized for your filter will work. I don't use any sockets or wrenches on mine...they get tightened about 3/4 of a turn at install and they come off by hand (the textured grip helps).

For stubborn ones, you someones have to run a screwdriver through them. I think that's partly due to dry installs (not lubricating the gasket ring), but I could be wrong.

My point was that you cannot use a generic cup wrench even when I switch from the factory filter to aftermarket filters (Mobil 1 M-110, Fram Ultra XG7317), since the oil filter is so close to the cross-member you cannot use a cup wrench that requires you to insert a regular ratchet to turn it.

I have a standard cup filter wrench already that I used for the above oil filters and my 3/8" ratchet will not fit in the cup wrench and then go over the end of the filter due to the cross member being in the way.

Guess I will just stick with a universal strap wrench. The factory Acura "low profile" cup wrench has a nut on it for turning (in addition to a ratchet hole), but I doubt it will work with the Mobil 1 and Fram filters I use.

Guess I will just stick with a universal strap wrench.

Why not a band wrench like the one I mentioned above?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Guess I will just stick with a universal strap wrench.

Why not a band wrench like the one I mentioned above?

I'm sorry, I guess I mis-wrote. I meant a band wrench. Band wrench/strap wrench, either are pretty much the same to me.

I'm sorry, I guess I mis-wrote. I meant a band wrench. Band wrench/strap wrench, either are pretty much the same to me.

They are not the same. Strap wrenches are invariably less convenient.

Which size engine is in your MDX ?

They are not the same. Strap wrenches are invariably less convenient.

Which size engine is in your MDX ?

3.5L V6. I believe it uses the same oil filter as virtually all Hondas/Acuras use.

My point was that you cannot use a generic cup wrench even when I switch from the factory filter to aftermarket filters (Mobil 1 M-110, Fram Ultra XG7317), since the oil filter is so close to the cross-member you cannot use a cup wrench that requires you to insert a regular ratchet to turn it..

I see. I didn't know they were that different on the new models. I haven't yet looked under my parents' 2014 MDX to see the oil filter clearance. Any type of tool can be used on the earlier models, but I didn't know the 2014+ models were that tight.

It's looking like the KD #3324 is your wrench.
They are very nice filter wrenches.
I've got three of them.

ToolTopia

Item No. Diameter Range
3527 3-7/8 to 4-3/8" (96mm to 111mm)
3082 3-1/2 to 3-7/8" (88.9mm to 98.4mm)
3083 2-7/8 to 3-1/4" (73mm to 82.5mm)
3324 2-1/2 to 3" (63.5mm to 76mm)

WIX - Oil Filter
Part Number: 57356
Line: WIX
1 Year Limited Warranty
UPC: 765809573567
OE Number: 15400PLMA02
Style: Canister
Outside Diameter (In): 2.685 Inch
Thread Size: M20-1.50
Height (In): 3.402 Inch
Anti-Drainback Valve Included: Yes

It's looking like the KD #3324 is your wrench.
They are very nice filter wrenches.
I've got three of them.

ToolTopia

Item No. Diameter Range
3527 3-7/8 to 4-3/8" (96mm to 111mm)
3082 3-1/2 to 3-7/8" (88.9mm to 98.4mm)
3083 2-7/8 to 3-1/4" (73mm to 82.5mm)
3324 2-1/2 to 3" (63.5mm to 76mm)

WIX - Oil Filter
Part Number: 57356
Line: WIX
1 Year Limited Warranty