oil filter use for longer than 1 year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, on my classics, which are only driven in warm weather, and usually well warmed up when driven, but only get around 1000 miles per summer, can I leave the Napa gold filter on for 2 years, or would I need to go to a Fram ultra. I have read that the full synthetic media will hold up for much much longer in oil than the cellulose/synthetic media. Of course I have also read that it is water in oil that really causes the cellulose to deteriorate, and I don't think I get much if any of that with my usage.

I would use any name brand decent quality filter with confidence. Time at temperature is not a concern for that use, nor is total gallons of hot oil flowed.

I used a Mobil 1 filter on my dad's car for almost 5 years. He only drove 2000-2400 miles a year, I did do yearly drain/refills.

No need to change oil filter with such low miles.

I run oil and filters without any regard to time. Never an issue from it in any application.

Apart from splits in the media (which probably mostly happen during manufacture) and clogging/overpressurisation damage, is there any evidence at all (anecdotal or otherwise) of filter deterioration in service?

I could see some acid hydrolysis of the cellulose, but I'd have thought the oil would have to be pretty far gone TBN-wise to allow that to happen.

I usually do an annual oil/filter change on the "vette". Only 2500 to 2800 km a year.Usually a fram TG or Ultra,depending on what has been on sale at canadian tire, along with some maxlife hi-m and mobil one mix. Just cheap insurance as i see it. You are already under the car anyway.

The critical factor is the retention seal. Many of the cheaper ones have these valves made out of cheaper rubber compounds that will harden with time.

By all means leave the filter in there for 2, 3, 4, or even 5 years. It is always better to save $5 - $10 on a filter than to worry about your classic cars. I wouldn't bother to change the oil for 5 years either.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
By all means leave the filter in there for 2, 3, 4, or even 5 years. It is always better to save $5 - $10 on a filter than to worry about your classic cars. I wouldn't bother to change the oil for 5 years either.

The OP is fine doing what he is doing...IMHO. There is enough "over maintenance" going on as it is on this site.

I d like to point out that cars in Europe have had oil change intervals of at least 10.000-15.000km / 12 months since practically forever. In a time, when there were no synthetic media filter. Only with the advent of "long life" oil in the late 90s and early 2000s, when oil change intervals of 30.000km / 2 years became common did I start to hear about synthtic filter media.
If a european cellulose filter can go 15.000km/one year without the slightest problem, why would an american filter not?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turboseize
I d like to point out that cars in Europe have had oil change intervals of at least 10.000-15.000km / 12 months since practically forever. In a time, when there were no synthetic media filter. Only with the advent of "long life" oil in the late 90s and early 2000s, when oil change intervals of 30.000km / 2 years became common did I start to hear about synthtic filter media.
If a european cellulose filter can go 15.000km/one year without the slightest problem, why would an american filter not?

I'm not sure I agree with the 'European' intervals. Americans seem to suffer with far less turbo and engine issues than us. There seems to be a lot said for using a cheaper oil with more frequent OCI.

You've only got to look at the issues with the PSA/Ford DV6 engine. Tiny 3.8 litre sump from a 1.6 turbo diesel with a ton of emissions [censored] bolted to it and they can sludge up so bad they just destroy themselves with the standard 12.5k/12month intervals. I've had mine since new(okay it's a DV5 but it's the same engine with a slightly smaller bore) and done oil changes every 6k/6months. I had a UOA done last time and after just 5,200miles on the oil it had dropped down to a 20weight, currently unsure if it's down to fuel dilution (3%) or sheared.

That said my Father has a 2012 BMW 320d Sport with 114k on the clock. It's only ever had oil changes every 18-20k and seems to run okay. It would be interesting to do an oil sample at the next interval and maybe whip off the sump and rocker cover for a nose but it usually goes into a garage for servicing.

Something which I don't get in Europe is the lack of servicing that manufacturers expect you to do. My Fathers gearbox in the 320d is starting to hold onto gears and maybe not be as smooth as it used to. ZF, the gearbox manufacturer suggests the gearbox is serviced every 75k. However, BMW says it's 'sealed for life', right! My Ford Focus is supposed to have a gearbox 'sealed for life' however I had the oil changed at 50k and it made a huge difference to the feel of the box.

Many car companies are going to change the oil filter every second oil change intervals.

A slightly dirty filter works better than a new filter.

I do my oil changes early, and change the filter every second oil change.

I strongly believe in changing fluids at the appropriate time. Yes, that does include gear oil changes...
I am also with you that some of the the very long OCI are just too long. Sure, there are some driving profiles that allow for 30.000km (or even longer) oil changes, but a short tripped woman's car? Eh, better change every twelve months, even if that is only a 5000km interval...

Point is, even when some overoptimistic OCI lead to a sludged engine, in most cases the filter will be fine. So it's not the cellulose filter that is limiting the OCI, but the oil (contamination, oxidation, nitration, fuel dilution...), when we are talking reasonable time spans (~1 year).

Originally Posted By: CKN
The OP is fine doing what he is doing...IMHO. There is enough "over maintenance" going on as it is on this site.
Are you allowed to say that here ? :)

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Apart from splits in the media (which probably mostly happen during manufacture) and clogging/overpressurisation damage, is there any evidence at all (anecdotal or otherwise) of filter deterioration in service?

I could see some acid hydrolysis of the cellulose, but I'd have thought the oil would have to be pretty far gone TBN-wise to allow that to happen.

I've seen one where the paper disintegrated upon touching, but that car was 8 years old and had 60,000 miles on the original filter....

I've also seen one where the plastice endcaps came off, that was a 2013 filter (stamp on it) and this was a few weeks back.

I think I scared myself now and will change the ilter next week....

I've been running a regular Motorcraft EFL-90 oil filter on my Capri since August 2015, 20W-50 Dino oil used.
It is true that actually filters filtrate better when they have been in use for a litle while than when they are new!
So if you are doing 1000 miles a year you could easily have the filter on for 3 years, i would change the oil every 18 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back