Oil filter surprise at walmart! -PICS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to walmart too look at the new fram Ultra. I looked up the filter for my ecoboost and this is what I found!

(You can click on the photos for an enlarged image)

You can see a few drops of oil and there was an oily film on the filter and the gasket was scuffed up.

You can clearly see where someone used a filter wrench.

The box was dirty and there was an oil ring in the bottom.

Looks like someone put it on but it was the wrong size so they took it off, cleaned it up and put it back into the box, and returned it to walmart!

Reminder to check ALL filters BEFORE buying them!

Last edited:
STOP. I noticed this the other day and almost posted on it.

There is an sticky coating on the metal plate in those filters. There is also an oily coating in some of the other parts.

Why? I dont know. But it isnt isolated to that filter that you found. Did you open up another box to look?

BTW, the boxes are sealed shut on both ends, so you were damaging the merchandise...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

There is an sticky coating on the metal plate in those filters. There is also an oily coating in some of the other parts.

Why? I dont know. But it isnt isolated to that filter that you found. Did you open up another box to look?

BTW, the boxes are sealed shut on both ends, so you were damaging the merchandise...

...... the box was ALREADY opened, dirty, tore up a bit! I didnt open another filter due to it being sealed. So JHZR2 please tell me how was I damaging merchandise?! Doesn't explain the paint where it looked like an oil filter wrench was put on it and twisted.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: volk06

...... the box was ALREADY opened, dirty, tore up a bit! I didnt open another filter due to it being sealed. So JHZR2 please tell me how was I damaging merchandise?! Doesn't explain the paint where it looked like an oil filter wrench was put on it and twisted.

I think that one was definately used. I would [censored] if I got that one home and opened it up. Plus fram sucks no matter what they put after it. Thanks for the pics!

Originally Posted By: abycat
Originally Posted By: volk06

I think that one was definately used. I would [censored] if I got that one home and opened it up. Plus fram sucks no matter what they put after it. Thanks for the pics!

I use to say the same but this filter is a solid heavy filter that'd I could use with confidence. Feels much more stout than the P1's I've been using. FWIW

It could be possible somebody returned it (after use). Could also be curious people eyeballing and fondling. Going to check my Walmart and see if they have them. Used the XG for 2 years, loved it. Only changed because of the length of my OCI's. Would buy the Ultra and leave it on for 2 OCI's - 14k. See how it does.

The Ultra filter is high quality, nothing like the OCOD, its in the league with Bosch D+, M1, K&N and P1's.

That filter was defiantly tampered with, nice find, but JHZR2 is right the box should be sealed at both ends.

If our Walmarts carried the high end Frams instead of the orange cans, I'd be pleased. As a side note, it's interesting to note how Wix packages their filters - there's a wall of them at one of my suppliers. Some have the boxes, others are shrink wrapped with no box. At least without the box, you can much more easily tell if it's been used or not. When it's in the box, I always check.

Wait! I just enlarged them. The ring at the bottom of the box is not oil, oil would stain the card board box. Its the same color as the sure grip. If that sure grip coating is flaking off when the box is knocked around, getting inside the filter, not sure I like that.

Could very well be that. There was a definite oily substance though, on the bottom and on the can. One the pic of the base plate you can see a few gold spots of the oil. Definately didn't think it was normal.

Last edited:
More I look at it - could be just the rubber gasket, black rubber leaves marks. But there is definitely tiny fragments of sure grip at the bottom. If those fragments of sure grip get in the tube, thats the filtered side, direct to the engine right?

experiences
Yes check filter when you can - I once was buying a filter and while standing in line for the counter, I opened to check it and it has an entirely different filter from what was stamped on the box. Bet someone bought the store brand filter with the higher cost filter in the box. Switcheroo tatic, but wait!

Another time buying oil (different place), 1 quart had an open top (broken tabs). Got to checking it out and it was used oil. Worker remember earlier a guy bought some oil, was right back in the store in a minute saying he needed to switch to a different grade/weight, and since it was the same price, worker said it was okay. I could have dumped that used oil in my truck as dark as it was outside.

Neighbor got a defect/damage filter a few years ago. I gave him a ride back to the auto store and he got it exchanged no problem. It was dented in deep in the side.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Last time I looked the top Fram filter boxes were sealed in clear wrap. This has changed?

The ones I saw just have clear plastic circle stickers in the middle sealing them up.

Last edited:
This is why I like my auto parts store. Counter style... go place your order, get your parts... no jokers can go mess with the boxes at will. Everything they sold to me really was new. Hooray.

Originally Posted By: abycat

I think that one was definately used. I would [censored] if I got that one home and opened it up.

This is exactly why I always lick my filters as soon as I buy them. This way I don't have to worry about someone else using them. If they do, they'll get my cooties. Or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back