Oil filter questions

Jeez $30.00 for a filter seems a little steep. Lot's of people run inexpensive filters and get by just fine. I would go with a Fram Ultra if you want a good value. I have a bunch of Mobil 1 filters for the Jeep that I paid $3.00 each on clearance at Walmart three or four years ago.

Hi, I'm due for an oil change on my Honda and I'm having a hell of a time deciphering all the crap on the internet about oil and filters for this next change. I got a jug of Castrol Edge 5w20 already but I need a filter. Being in Canada options aren't the same as the US but I'm leaning towards a purolator boss (pricey off Amazon for 30 bucks cdn and can't find locally) from reading other forums but after watching fordbossme on youtube I've found its cheaper and easier to get Fram Ultraguard 16.99 cdn and they seems to be well regarded vs the regular fram. K&N is easy as well but they're more money at 21.99 cdn. looking for the best protection for my cars (19 Mazda cx-5 2.5 and 09 Honda accord 2.4) without spending big money for something not worth it. I put pennzoil platinum into my wife's Mazda with a K&N oil filter but read and watched reviews showing the K&N is not great quality by comparison. If thats the case i wont use them again.

So, is Fram ultraguard fine, go for the Purolator Boss, or stick with OEM and gtfo of here. Also, is K&N just marketing wank? Looks identical internally to cheap Walmart filters.

Thank you for any help!
All "the crap" here and all the crap on the internet are one and the same thing, CRAP. And yes, I know what others are thinking so I'll say it, I'm full of crap too or I wouldn't be here. Regards

OEM filters are always a good bet, especially if you can get a good price. I won't get into the aftermarket filter discussion here. Oil filter efficiency is less important than simply keeping up with a regular maintenance schedule -- do this and your vehicle will live a very long life. Some people put a lot of effort into finding the best oil filter, but if you stick with the manufacturer's recommended service intervals, you will never know the difference between a $30 super duper or a $8 OEM filter. I would just pick a quality brand and get it over with.

People keep saying the difference in oil filter efficiency doesn't make any difference in engine protection or longevity, yet they have zero information to back that claim up except that "engines 'still run good' and last a long time even if you use an inefficient filter". Yet, every engine wear vs oil cleanliness study shows that cleaner oil reduced engine wear. Of course, it depends a lot on the OCI length, and as the OCI goes up so should the efficiency of the oil filter to match. Still waiting for the study that shows oil cleanliness doesn't make any difference in engine wear. Engines can be pretty worn out and "still run good".

Last edited:
I'd be inclined to just use the factory OEM Honda filter. Call a few dealers near you (they are everywhere) and see if they offer any quanity deals. I only discovered a few years ago, that a Toyota dealer not far from me, offers factory filters for my Tundra for $4 each if I buy three or more at a time. So for the same price as a generic house brand filter, I can get the factory OEM...no brainer. Saves me time shopping for Purolator or whatever to go on sale.

5k mile FCIs on a modern Honda engine?

Just about any decent brand name filter will do fine. Don't overthink or over-spend on this.

I'd vote for a Fram EG or something similar.

People keep saying the difference in oil filter efficiency doesn't make any difference in engine protection or longevity, yet they have zero information to back that claim up except that "engines 'still run good' and last a long time even if you use an inefficient filter". Yet, every engine wear vs oil cleanliness study shows that cleaner oil reduced engine wear. Of course, it depends a lot on the OCI length, and as the OCI goes up so should the efficiency of the oil filter to match. Still waiting for the study that shows oil cleanliness doesn't make any difference in engine wear. Engines can be pretty worn out and "still run good".
The biggest, most popular logical fallacy on this site - and it's rehashed seemingly every hour in some form.

Someone didn't notice any difference, so there is no difference. On/Off. No in between. Very counter intuitive to the nature of this forum.

OEM from a dealer, BOSCH 3323, Carquest (made by MANN), Fram Ultra from WM would be my choices.
I use BOSCH 3323 on daughter's Acura for a few years now, very happy with the filter, I buy them at RockAuto (C$6), they ship to Canada if you are far from the border, just buy a bunch or alone other parts like air filters to justify shipping.

I, for one, am a guy who says this is true in typical circumstances.
There is a distinction between a theoretical difference and a tangible difference.
Like most things, much of this depends on how we define the conditions of operation.

Ad nauseum, we've all discussed this topic.

It is a fact that there are plenty of studies that show a reduction in particulate loading results in less engine wear. Several SAE studies prove this.
It's also a fact that many of those studies are heavily manipulated HALTs (highly accelerated lifecycle test) which grossly distort conditions to purposely bring out an effect, which in reality, may well not appear in typical life conditions.

The fact that studies do show a correlation between particulate loading and wear particles in UOAs ALSO works in reverse ...
if the UOA shows no discernable difference in wear data, then the filtration didn't make a difference. You cannot have it both ways; no having your cake and eating it too. If we accept the fact that studies show finer filtration results in lower particulate loading, and correlates to less wear, then you MUST ACCEPT that if the UOA shows no statistically significant wear data difference, the "better" filter didn't avail itself above it's lessor competitor.

What folks fail to understand is that engine wear is a result of the following items working in some manner of concert with and against each other:
- OCI duration
- FCI duration
- FCI efficiency
- TCB
- engine series propensities (clean running or not, runs hot or not, design flaws or not, etc ...)
- oil grade
- oil add pack

One cannot accurately say that using a "better" (tighter) filter will ALWAYS result in less wear. That is patently untrue. It is true in some circumstances, but not all. There is plenty of data to show that short-to-moderate OCIs really don't benefit from "finer" filtration past a certain point (say 90% or greater).

Many of these discussions often surround filters which all are better than 90% efficient at 20um, and therefore the "better" filter is pretty much moot.

Last edited:
^^^ Yes, there are many factors involved and OCI length is a big one. But fact is, holding all things constant, better oil cleanliness will always result in less engine or any mechanical machinery wear for that matter. That's been true ever since Tribology was born, and that will never change.

Bosch 3323 (”Premium”) is my current choice for filters for my several Hondas. They were $4 US from Rockauto recently. Show out of stock today. I have cut several of them up and they are very well made for the price. They seem to be going out of stock from a lot of suppliers, wonder if they are getting discontinued or product changed with MnH buying Puralator.

Bosch 3323 (”Premium”) is my current choice for filters for my several Hondas. They were $4 US from Rockauto recently. Show out of stock today. I have cut several of them up and they are very well made for the price.........
Seems some folks have caught on to the value of the Bosch Premium 3323 at Rock Auto, even after shipping costs (which can't be excluded) are added in. Bought two lots of six, first lot looked so good (arrived in good shape), bought another. Second lot a tad more but still a solid value. I'm set for a while for the Hondas I maintain and Rogue I help maintain. Fwiw, they had gone out of stock between first and second order at RA, so they may come back in stock. Same as you, post use BP3323 I cut open (posted here) have looked solid.

Last edited:
I usually just get oem but recently due to laziness I've been ordering off Amazon and saw a YouTube where they cut open a Honda and it was a Fram death filter... so now I'm weary.
Isn't the mazda oe dealer filter same as honda? Should be. Most all Japanese brand use the same filter mount I.D and thread (except Toyota that goes their own way)
If it's a Japan tokyo Roki, I'd be running that filter. It's better than ALL aftermarket in construction, and you can use the same filter on both cars.
Otherwise I would suggest a wix 57356 if there is room for it on the CX-5

Last edited:
People keep saying the difference in oil filter efficiency doesn't make any difference in engine protection or longevity, yet they have zero information to back that claim up except that "engines 'still run good' and last a long time even if you use an inefficient filter".
I didn't see where anybody said that . You used quotation marks . Who did you quote ?

^ Pretty sure Zee was responding to my statement about the filter efficiency being less important than keeping up with regular maintenance intervals. That is a blanket statement and I stand behind it. Compare regular maintenance -VS- using the very best oil filter, then ask yourself which one of these two is more important... this is all I was saying. Split hairs if you must.
I never said oil filter efficiency doesn't matter. And I never said a less efficient filter protects an engine just as well as a more efficient filter, but it may have been interpreted this way. Yes of course a more efficient filter will likely result in less engine wear, but how much less wear? Does it really matter to the average owner? What are the real world benefits of having this little bit less wear?
This thread is not asking the question, "How do I make my engine last two million miles?"
It's asking the question, "How do I protect my engines without spending big money that's not worth it?"
Again... **As long as the recommended service intervals are maintained, 99% of vehicle owners will not notice any difference between an OEM oil filter and a super premium aftermarket oil filter at 3-4x the cost of OEM.**

I didn't see where anybody said that . You used quotation marks . Who did you quote ?
That basic quote is used by many in many various threads discussing engine wear wrt oil viscosity and filter efficiency. They think just because the engine is "running good" and didn't "blow-up" that there must not be any wear going on.

If you had a choice, would you rather have more or less contamination in your oil getting pumped over and over through the oiling system? I prefer the latter choice, because in the long run it certainly could make difference.

Last edited:
Back