Oil filter options for 15k oci

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Carzzz
Fram A02 (honda OEM) should be doable too... LOL

Seriously? I already have 12 of these in my garage! lol

why not? Honda recommends to change the filter every other oil change on many of its models! So 15-20k shouldn't be a problem since you drive mostly on highway!

Originally Posted By: Carzzz
why not? Honda recommends to change the filter every other oil change on many of its models! So 15-20k shouldn't be a problem since you drive mostly on highway!

Then I guess I'll give it a shot! The recommended OCI for my car from factory, I believe, is 7500 miles and a filter change every other oil change. So, that would come out to 15k miles on the filter. I'll be doing a UOA following the trial, so if there is a problem with running them for that long, I should hopefully see it. If there is an issue, I can always run a PureONE next time. I'll cut open the A02 filter at the end of the trial to visually inspect it. Thank you for your input!

I would be leary of using a Fram for 1500 miles let alone 15,000.
31.gif

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
31.gif

Lol, yeah but I'm thinking along the lines of yes, it is built by Fram, but it was built by fram to Honda spec.

Who knows, maybe I will be pleasantly surprised!

Under your driving conditions any filter will make 15k. It will be the level of filtration that's different. You're in the sweat spot all the time.

How many months do you project it will take for your 15k? If it's 9+/-, I think you should go for one year instead.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Under your driving conditions any filter will make 15k. It will be the level of filtration that's different. You're in the sweat spot all the time.

How many months do you project it will take for your 15k? If it's 9+/-, I think you should go for one year instead.

Approximately 6 months, I bought the car last year with 100k miles on it. I put about 30k miles on the car in a year.
19.gif

Originally Posted By: MoparDak05
31.gif

Lol, yeah but I'm thinking along the lines of yes, it is built by Fram, but it was built by fram to Honda spec.

Who knows, maybe I will be pleasantly surprised!

Are you sure Honda spec'd the filter and they didn't just settle on a filter already made by Fram?
wink.gif
Even if Honda spec'd it I would still be afraid to use something made by that company.

Last edited:

Are you sure Honda spec'd the filter and they didn't just settle on a filter already made by Fram?
wink.gif
Even if Honda spec'd it I would still be afraid to use something made by that company.

Lol, well I'll give it a shot. If I start to worry about it too much before I dump in the Amsoil SSO, I'll invest in a pureONE.
wink.gif

Nothing for a Canadian. Frams are usually (before Chinese product showing up) the cheapest filter available for you guys. Here the cheapest Fram is more expensive than many filter ..yet brings nothing to the table beyond race sponsorships and renting more real estate at the outlet shelf space.

Your alternatives for our flavor of upscale filters is pretty salty.

NO NO NO, im not saying there awesome and you all are wrong im just new here and its something i noticed, that and i just bought an extended guard for my next oil change and was curious.

Quote:
i just bought an extended guard for my next oil change and was curious.
Nothing wrong with the Xtended Guard, A very decent extended OCI (~10k) filter, just putting the Fram name in front puts some off. But, it's far from the Orange Can of Doom that many here rant about.

welcome2.gif

They don't make a good Fram Never have never will.

You're hardcore anti-fram, aren't you? lol
Did you have a really bad experience with a fram product?

There are good ..as in well built..Frams. I'd avoid the gelatinous goo filter.

If you're reaching for the bottom shelf Fram ..reach elsewhere and save some money and get more in the bargain.

Originally Posted By: MoparDak05
They don't make a good Fram Never have never will.

You're hardcore anti-fram, aren't you? lol
Did you have a really bad experience with a fram product?

Yes, I am hardcore anti orange can of death. I suppose it is not fair of me to say "ALL" of them. The new XG filters I guess are ok BUT I just don't trust that company. Components may be better in the XG but was it all put together properly and to a high standard? I doubt it. Also, I can get a filter as good or better for the same or less from a company I do trust.

I worked auto parts for a LOT of years. I had a lot of Frams fail( what I consider a lot anyway over the years - mostly collapsed media or the cardboard endcaps coming unglued and apart but I have seen a few cans split too - not taking into account ADBV and BPV failures in Fram either ). There is documentation on this site and all over the internet showing failures and how poorly they are constructed as well. I finally stopped selling them to folks unless they asked for them or I had no other option. There was not a single mechanic I dealt with( regulars who called for parts delivery )who would accept them either unless no other option available.

I have used them and no I have not had one fail on me personally. I know enough now not to use them however. The other thing is you can get a filter that is built to a higher standard, with better components, for the same or less. I see no reason to chance it. At Wal-Mart for example you can get an OE AC, Motorcraft, or MOPAR filter for less than a Fram. Why would I take the Fram? Same applies at most any parts store. Even if it was $1-$2 more for say a Purolater at PepBoy instead of the Fram why risk it with the Fram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back