Oil Filter Magnet ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lucerne06
Magnet locks to inner wall and can not be dislodged.
I'm going to read futher but my first thought was, not on Ecores.

I assume you are supposed to throw them away when done? Unless you cut the filter open.
21.gif

JMO, but if were going to use one, I think I'd prefer the reusable ones on the outside.

I just use (3)SCSI hard drive magnets out of retired hard drives stuck on the side of the filter. They will never come off (until you slide and then pull them off), are very cheap (often free), very powerful, small, and are totally re-usable.

To me, the magnet in the link would impeed oil flow.

As noted above, I'd want one that is re-usable and goes on the outside of the filter. Second, the advertising palaver overstates the case for the magnet. Seems pretty elementary that these things are ONLY catching the ferrous stuff. Any particles of non-magnetic materials will remain unaffected.

I wouldn't call them a waste of money ..but it should would be a waste to throw them away with the filter. There's another outfit that uses a ball instead of a bar.

The Filtermag offers more benefits ..especially at SEMA 2007

Originally Posted By: lucerne06
anyone ever heard of this? Simply drop one SAE tested and certified "Ceramic Magnet" into a new oil filter and spin it on. Magnet locks to inner wall and can not be dislodged.

http://www.oilfiltermagnets.com/

The magnets aren't SAE tested and certified like they claim. Why believe anything else they say?
LOL.gif

The idea has some merit, but so does putting magnets on the outside of an oil filter where they are easy to remove and put on your next filter. On the outside a magnet trap the ferrous particles on the dirty side of the filter.

The system shown lives on the clean side of the filter element. Any pieces that slough off will go right into the engine.

Also, the magnets are relatively cheap. Cheap ceramic magnets don't tend to hold up very well at high oil temperatures.

You can google "magnets" and find some high temp neyodemium magnets online for cheap. Get the high temp magnets as they lose their magnitism around 300 degrees, most neyodemium loses its magnitism around 175 degrees.
Refrigerator magnets lose their charge in a few months.

I have had a great deal of luck with magnets from hard drives also. I have a couple on my oil pan right now. Do they catch much? Probably not, but I would rather have them on their than not.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I wouldn't call them a waste of money ..but it should would be a waste to throw them away with the filter. There's another outfit that uses a ball instead of a bar.

I have a FilterMag and it works great, and yes I do see stuff stuck to the cans of my filters like in the pictures on their website. I don't catch as much as they show, but there is enough that I feel it makes a difference!
wink.gif

I promised someone on here I would post pictures of my next filter for them to see.

Magnets are cool, but there's no fracking way I'd install one on the output end of the filter. As mentioned, several small high strength magnets stuck to the filer case will work great. http://www.unitednuclear.com/magnets.htm has a great selection of small and medium, high power Neodymiums.

One of these ought to do, eh? :)

supermagnet33th.jpg

I have seen them but not used them.

I use Klearforce magnets on my 3 vehicles.

**I would like to see what a magnet would catch on the clean side however after the oil passed thru the filter.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

I have a FilterMag and it works great, and yes I do see stuff stuck to the cans of my filters like in the pictures on their website. I don't catch as much as they show, but there is enough that I feel it makes a difference!
wink.gif

I promised someone on here I would post pictures of my next filter for them to see.

Please do. I almost bought a filtermag a year or so ago. Still interested in getting one.

It's standard equipment on all my vehicles now and will continue to be. It works really well during the first 1500km on a new engine. It caught all kinds of stuff that would have otherwise circulated in the oil IMO.
shocked2.gif

Now not so much, but there is some fine debris similar to what you find on a magnetic transmission plug.
wink.gif

I think what would be really cool is an electromagnet that wraps around the filter, and uses a timer to control its shutdown after the engine has been turned off. It could have several coils to pull the ferrous debris that it caught while the engine was running toward the end of the filter, where a powerful permanent magnet is installed and would collect and hold it there, even after the electromagnet is turned off.

Perhaps the filter could even have a separate chamber on the dome end for it to collect the particles in, so there would be less chance of it making its way back into the oil.

Yeah, sometimes I think too much.

Originally Posted By: Geonerd
Magnets are cool, but there's no fracking way I'd install one on the output end of the filter. As mentioned, several small high strength magnets stuck to the filer case will work great. http://www.unitednuclear.com/magnets.htm has a great selection of small and medium, high power Neodymiums.

One of these ought to do, eh? :)

supermagnet33th.jpg

The problem with Neodymiums is they lose power as they get hot.

I had a pair of old magnents from really really old hard drive from a mainframe server. They were a little smaller than a closed flip cell phone. They were so powerful that you could put then on opposite sides of your arm and they would hold. Once they came together I had to use a screwdriver, crowbar and vice to remove them a part. My friend and I both almost broke our finger playing with them. They were so powerful it was silly. I ended up throwing them away due to many injuries playing with them. You could not pull metal opjects off of them, you had to slide them off. I kid you not, these things were down right dangerous.

Holy shnikes - this from the United Nuclear site talking about their "super" magnets:

"If you really need unbelievably powerful magnets, here they are.
Uses include magnetic steering of nuclear particles in accelerators, levitation devices, magnetic beam amplifiers, scrap iron separators, etc.

Beware - you must think ahead when moving these magnets.
If carrying one into another room, carefully plan the route you will be taking. Sensitive instruments like CRT monitors will be affected in an entire room. Loose metallic objects and other magnets may become airborne and fly at great speed to attach themselves to these magnets. If you get caught in between the two Supermagnets you can be severely injured or killed. These magnets will crush bones in the blink of an eye.
Two of these magnets close together can create an almost unbelievable magnetic field that can be incredibly dangerous.

Two Supermagnets can very easily get out of control, crush fingers and instantly break ribs or even your arm if opposing poles fly at each other.
A small child recently lost his hand when his father left two # 31 supermagnets unattended. The child picked one up and when he approached the other magnet on a nearby table,
it became airborne and obliterated his small hand.

NEVER ALLOW CHILDREN NEAR ANY OF THESE MAGNETS!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back