Oil Filter Magnet ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who needs super strong magnets... Just use Pennzoil's "Adaptive Molecules". Buggers are super smart. I have them mowing the lawn right now.
LOL.gif

Sorry Johnny, couldn't resist...

Originally Posted By: Shagger
Holy shnikes - this from the United Nuclear site talking about their "super" magnets:

"If you really need unbelievably powerful magnets, here they are.
Uses include magnetic steering of nuclear particles in accelerators, levitation devices, magnetic beam amplifiers, scrap iron separators, etc.

Beware - you must think ahead when moving these magnets.
If carrying one into another room, carefully plan the route you will be taking. Sensitive instruments like CRT monitors will be affected in an entire room. Loose metallic objects and other magnets may become airborne and fly at great speed to attach themselves to these magnets. If you get caught in between the two Supermagnets you can be severely injured or killed. These magnets will crush bones in the blink of an eye.
Two of these magnets close together can create an almost unbelievable magnetic field that can be incredibly dangerous.

Two Supermagnets can very easily get out of control, crush fingers and instantly break ribs or even your arm if opposing poles fly at each other.
A small child recently lost his hand when his father left two # 31 supermagnets unattended. The child picked one up and when he approached the other magnet on a nearby table,
it became airborne and obliterated his small hand.

NEVER ALLOW CHILDREN NEAR ANY OF THESE MAGNETS!"

Holy Mackerel!! Okay, those things are definitely off my list of magnets to purchase!!
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: heavyhitter

The problem with Neodymiums is they lose power as they get hot.

I had a pair of old magnents from really really old hard drive from a mainframe server. They were a little smaller than a closed flip cell phone. They were so powerful that you could put then on opposite sides of your arm and they would hold. Once they came together I had to use a screwdriver, crowbar and vice to remove them a part. My friend and I both almost broke our finger playing with them. They were so powerful it was silly. I ended up throwing them away due to many injuries playing with them. You could not pull metal objects off of them, you had to slide them off. I kid you not, these things were down right dangerous.

Yup!

I suspect that when stuck to the outside of a filter, the magnets don't get all that hot. FWIW, I've got half a dozen of the penny sized U.N. magnets in use. If they've weakened, it's not by much - they are still stupidly powerful.

I wish the oil filter manufacturers would start slapping a neodymium magnet in the bottom of the can before assembling them. I'd pay an extra $1 per filter if they had an internal magnet.

I think you'd get a lot of benefit from putting a magnet in with a cartridge filter, because you could get it right in the oil. Maybe insert several of the smaller spherical magnets into the pleats before installing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back