Magnets on or in a filter? Issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use old HHD magnets on oil filters. Not because I think it prevents anything, but that way I can check out what amount of stuff collects from one oil change to the other, also 'merica.

Probably no issues, but I don't bother using them. If it gets through the filter, it's more than likely not going to cause a problem.

Magnet might catch stuff that the filter isn't capable of catching.

Magnet might catch stuff that will free up filtering area for other stuff.

I'm using magnetic drainplugs and see the buildup at every OCI.

There is no proof that a magnet wouldn't extend an engine's life.

Since many transfer cases, manual and automatic transmissions, and differentials come with magnets, feel free to stick one on your filter's side or use a magnetic drainplug.

When we bought our last airplane it had a strap w/ rare earth magnets on the oil filter. Talking to our mechanic, he really likes them, but for diagnostic reasons. While he didn't see a clear case for reducing wear, he likes to see what collects on the magnets when the filters are cut open.

We kept it (also would have had to swing the compass if we removed it...rather tedious) and it always looks like the Fram in the earlier pic. We are breaking in a newly overhauled motor, so I will try to get a picture of what it collects then.

Magnets being so cheap, if there was a benefit, wouldn't you think car makers would have them installed on the assembly line? What's the difference if particles are stuck to the inside wall of an oil filter instead of the media? If that magnet falls off and a large clump of shavings comes loose all at once. See no benefit to that.

Automakers don't want to spend a penny if they didn't have to.

And, quality magnet that can work across the temp range isn't cheap. Its some accountants yearly bonus.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Wouldn't a magnetic drain plug give you the same results, all without worrying about oil flow.

Yes, agree with the magnetic plug. Simple and effective, last a lifetime.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Magnets being so cheap, if there was a benefit, wouldn't you think car makers would have them installed on the assembly line?

Some car makers do install them, even on ordinary brands, exotic cars more so. Also find them on transmissions, gear cases, marine outdrives and some motorcycles. Ex. Harley touring bikes have 3 magnetic plugs. Transmission, Primary and Engine.

But the basic thing is, for a super high quality plug, less then $20, last the life of the engine, just wipe it down. Where some go for exotic oils and super high quality filters, the magnetic plug will filter out down to the smallest lowest micron. Id rather have a basic filter quality with a magnetic plug if cost was an issue.

Will you be ok without one? Sure, just like one would be ok with supertech oil and the cheapest fram filter. Some though, feel better about stepping it up a little bit and a magnetic plug certainly makes sense, no snake oil, its a device that is used by some engine manufacturers and you know darn well they wouldnt put it on there if they didnt think it was useful, but just common sense says it is. IF one wants to take things up a step, youll be fine without it too, same as using Walmarts supertech oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back