Magnets and Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you hang a strong magnet onto the end of a filter with, say, an 8-11 PSI dome-end bypass, any chance a significantly beefy magnet, one of the rare-earthers for instance, could throw that thang into by-pass? Or even, interfere with it going INTO by-pass?

As I mentioned in another thread, careful about these magnets, they WILL rust the filter can right through the side if you throw them on there without some kind of buffer. In less that a month and a half, my L24458 was almost through the wall with a drive-magnet..Careful!

Deeep Thoughts...
laugh.gif

"As I mentioned in another thread, careful about these magnets, they WILL rust the filter can right through the side if you throw them on there without some kind of buffer. In less that a month and a half, my L24458 was almost through the wall with a drive-magnet..Careful!"

My first two changes with a Filter Mag showed not the slightes hint of oxidation. I probably change my oil every 3-4 months (6000 miles).

Quote:

My first two changes with a Filter Mag showed not the slightes hint of oxidation. I probably change my oil every 3-4 months (6000 miles).

What kind of magnet did you have? When you say "Filter Mag" was it a plain old magnet stuck on like I did, or is "Filter Mag" something purpose-built?

thanks for the tip about corrosion. yes, metals will normally corrode rapidly if you put two different ones in electrical contact, and they get wet.

As long as the paint doesn't rub through, it should be ok, but sand might get underneath if the magnet is flat and the filter is curved. A thin piece of tape should help keep the two metals apart.

"but sand might get underneath"

I can't imagine sand getting underneath a Filter Mag. It's not that easy to take off when you change filters, especially if you have any oil on your hands.

FILTER PLUS (www.filter-plus.com) is the best reusable oil filter magnet I've ever used and it's a heck of a lot cheaper and stronger magnetically than anything else I've found out there for magnetic engine wear reducers.

As has been discussed many times on this site, the use of simple, inexpensive Neodymium magnets (available on the web) provide excellent levels of filtration from 1 angstrom on up through chunks and clunks. Just put 2, 3 or 4 of those on the outside surface and you will supercharge your oil filter to much higher degree of filtration performance.
And no, I do not sell neodymium magnets.
George Morrison, STLE CLS

I have used the actual Filter Mag brand for many years, on many different filters (K&N Gold, Wix, Amsoil SDF & EaO), and have noticed very little oxidation. This is even during winter when the D.O.T. dumps TONS of salt on the roads (sometimes even with no snow/ice present!
mad.gif
). But then again, my longest OCI to date was 10K miles/8 months, so who knows?
dunno.gif

I even put a FILTER PLUS on the bottom of my steel tranny pan. There is almost always a big circular ring of metallic particles trapped there by the FILTER PLUS when I take off the tranny pan to change the filter. Proof enough for me.

FILTER PLUS is small and strong enough enough to attach magnetically to 'any' part of the spin-on oil filter regardless if it has a high pressure by-pass or not. Sides, dome-end or wherever there's room to put it.

I don't recommend putting a magnet on the oil filter. The flow through the filter may dislodge some of the particles especially under surge conditions. The metal particles will also not have enough resident time to be fully attracted. The best solution, is an area that is relatively "quiet" such as the oil pan. That is why I favor one of the ultra powerful magnet drain plugs.

Quote:

I don't recommend putting a magnet on the oil filter. The flow through the filter may dislodge some of the particles especially under surge conditions. The metal particles will also not have enough resident time to be fully attracted. The best solution, is an area that is relatively "quiet" such as the oil pan. That is why I favor one of the ultra powerful magnet drain plugs.

Yeah, I agree. I opted to not use a magnet on the filter just because of paranoia. LaminarLou's data seem to indicate little if any benefit anyway.
dunno.gif
I may go the drain plug route, but I don't think there's alot of metal floating around inside of my engine at this point.

4esorselrach,

I believe a magnetic filter is an important option, especially if you are not using a bypass system or an Eao filter. The metal, being very hard, will eat the contact surfaces alive and invite more friends to party. This cascading effect, can be virtually eliminated by a good magnetic drain plug...........should be standard equipment.
I don't get a lot of debris on the neo drain plug, mayby just a match heads worth, but between the Eao and the powerful magnet, I'm sure not too many metallic nasties are running around.

Harry
thumbsup.gif

I run magnets on my bypass filter since it has such a limited flow rate...probably doesn't do much good, but...

I would rather run a Fumoto drain plug in my CTD and not deal with wearing 3 gallons of oil, than run an aftermarket magnetic plug.

steved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back