Ceramic Magnets Inside oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

It looks like you'll need tin snips or a hack saw to get the magnet out for the next oil change or just buy the whole box of magnets from this vendor

I don't like ceramics - they just don't have the N-Gauss that Neodymium magnets have.
If you're going to do it, do it with magnets that have some real strength.

IIRC they have good temperature stability, which requires special grades of neodymium magnets.

Never liked that location much though. If you get clumps of magnetized debris detaching theres nothing between there and the bearings.

I have a Taiwanese-made filter with a magnet built-in there but I dunno if I'll ever use it.

71173.jpg

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
It appears that you discard the magnet with the filter or am I wrong?

Can't the magnets be cleaned?

And do they impede the return flow of the oil through the center of the oil filter?

Seriously?

This is BITOG and every guy who decides to use one of these is going to cut the old filter open and remove the magnet, take several photographs under a microscope, weigh the ferrous debris to a thousandth of a gram and then ask each of us to make an educated guess which components the material is from.

A spreadsheet will be maintained with the date od first use and then a concensus will be made as to what the MCI should be.

Magnet Change Interval.

Seriously Seriously?

Sorry, but I'd expect something more along the lines of "I KNOW its great because I've had it fitted for 5,000 miles and never had an issue"

Y'all must be talking about some other bit of og.

Yes, Ceramic is a good candidate for engine oil magnetic catchment, as it is far more stable with high temperature than Neodymium.

I'm not convinced any magnets are needed in an oil filtration system, but if I were to use one, it would be after the filter in it's own housing designed not to impede oil flow and result in an unacceptable oil pressure drop. Personally I think a bypass filter is the better option, if you feel the OEM filter scheme is inadequate, which itself is open to debate.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

And do they impede the return flow of the oil through the center of the oil filter?

Seriously?

This is BITOG and every guy who decides to use one of these is going to cut the old filter open and remove the magnet, take several photographs under a microscope, weigh the ferrous debris to a thousandth of a gram and then ask each of us to make an educated guess which components the material is from.

A spreadsheet will be maintained with the date od first use and then a concensus will be made as to what the MCI should be.

Magnet Change Interval.

Seriously Seriously?

Sorry, but I'd expect something more along the lines of "I KNOW its great because I've had it fitted for 5,000 miles and never had an issue"

How about "my engine LIKES it".

I'm still trying to ascertain their claim how the magnet was also catching non-ferrous particles as shown in the summary table.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

Seriously?

Magnet Change Interval.

Seriously Seriously?

Dang...I have been easily out-BITOG'ed.

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter
Is there any merit to installing a magnet to the oil filter?

I've been using Neodymiums for years (since 2007) and there is ALWAYS "stuff" on them
full-76552-8628-img_0036.jpg

I am over 4500 miles into an OCI with magnets placed just as pictured above. Thank you for sharing
laugh.gif
I will be cutting and posting in the near future.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I'm still trying to ascertain their claim how the magnet was also catching non-ferrous particles as shown in the summary table.

Yeh, I didn't get that either, but there was a research project posted recently that seemed to confirm it. Apparently there are weak associations between the magnetic and non-magnetic particles so the latter are entrained.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter
Is there any merit to installing a magnet to the oil filter?

I've been using Neodymiums for years (since 2007) and there is ALWAYS "stuff" on them
full-76552-8628-img_0036.jpg

I am over 4500 miles into an OCI with magnets placed just as pictured above. Thank you for sharing
laugh.gif
I will be cutting and posting in the near future.

Just removed @ 5544 miles, 2.5 months

MrQuackers, your placement seems to work OK. I would have thought they would 'walk' over to the intake holes, as the housing vibrates, partially covering them maybe, but they seem to stay in place.

What about putting a rectangular shaped magnet through the drain hole? Letting it rest on the bottom of the oil pan. Needs to be, for example, 1/2" wide, maybe 1/8" thick, and could be 2" long. It could be retrieved if it stays adjacent to the hole and you could somehow drag it out with a hook or drill a hole in one end and put a brass string through the hole..... ideas.....

Currently I just use a Dimple or GoldPlug magnetic drain plug. Seems to catch stuff.

I thought the magnets created a positive ion charge, thus causing the oil to cling to the surfaces more effectively, increasing shear resistance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Corelokt
Oh, and that metal is from my cam bearings. It's migrating to their pan.

Cam bearings are usually Babbit or an aluminium alloy, so it'd be surprising if they contained much iron.

You might mean cam journals, or cam lobes, but unless you've got very obvious wear I dunno how you'd tell where its from. I get a lot of ferrous in my oil and don't know where its coming from, but the oil pump looks OK so I guess its cam lobes, though I think they look OK too.

I thought the magnets created a positive ion charge, thus causing the oil to cling to the surfaces more effectively, increasing shear resistance.

Where did you see this? I've never seen anything like that for magnetism.

So I can make my on Magnatec oil with polar molecules? Cool.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back