Oil filter..go cheap or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Napa gold for sure. I doubt you'll do more than 3 changes a year, the extra $2 per filter = max of $6 extra a year.

Haven't seen any teardowns of union sangyo filters, they're made in Malaysia to "Japanese standards" but who knows until some people do used filter tear downs.

Also, there are no filter specs on union sangyo's website. All they have is "Japanese quality" reputation. Wix is a proven brand with detailed specs on their site.

I looked for cut opens also. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1691241 seems to be on par.

its very very simular to the Ultra 8 brand that says NIPPON on the can and box.
also same numbers.....

I cut one open new here.

12175hd.jpg

looks very simular ???

5dl5pd.jpg

2iqipgg.jpg

do you have a pic of the coil spring / leaf spring ?

look at this one? also this filter was a TANK.. also silcone adbv and perfect filter media..

xd87l2.jpg

After cutting open 2 Napa Pro selects and a Silver, I think they are a good filter for the price. I would not run one past 5000 miles on my cars though. One of the pro selects had 7000 miles on it. It was intact and held up, but it looked really rough compared to the one with 5000 miles. Both were the same part number. One was on my Focus, The rough one was on my daughters Focus, which is usually easier on oil than mine. The Silver just came off my other daughters Cavalier last week after 4000 miles. It looked about the same as the Pro Select from my Focus with 5000 miles. That Cavalier dilutes the oil fairy quick and seems really hard on oil.

If I could get a Wix or Napa gold for only 5 bucks I would choose that over the Silver or Pro Select. Especially for longer intervals. Around here, a Silver is 3 bucks, a Wix is 7 and a Gold is 8 bucks. That makes the Silver a much better deal for a short interval, but I think the Wix/Gold filters are quite a bit better.

Originally Posted By: David1
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Napa gold for sure. I doubt you'll do more than 3 changes a year, the extra $2 per filter = max of $6 extra a year.

Haven't seen any teardowns of union sangyo filters, they're made in Malaysia to "Japanese standards" but who knows until some people do used filter tear downs.

Also, there are no filter specs on union sangyo's website. All they have is "Japanese quality" reputation. Wix is a proven brand with detailed specs on their site.

I looked for cut opens also. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1691241 seems to be on par.

its very very simular to the Ultra 8 brand that says NIPPON on the can and box.
also same numbers.....

I cut one open new here.

12175hd.jpg

looks very simular ???

5dl5pd.jpg

2iqipgg.jpg

do you have a pic of the coil spring / leaf spring ?

look at this one? also this filter was a TANK.. also silcone adbv and perfect filter media..

xd87l2.jpg

Union sangyo is made in Malaysia, not China so I doubt this Ultra8 brand is related.

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
Personally, I get a Fram Ultra or P1 if I need to top up my cart at AAP. For me - I'd run them our 2 oil changes and the cost will be about even with the cheaper ones.

+1

That nippon above is a well built filter and it confirms that a filter *can* have tight even pleats, even at the seam!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back