Oil consumption After Premium Blue Restore

Hello all,
Now this is going to seem very stupid but please give me a pass on this one.
TGDI 1.6L with no oil consumption issues prior to treatment has gone through 600ml of PBR and MMO mix (3.78l PBR 113ml MMO mix) in a 1000 km.
Now I know you ask if it had no oil consumption issues prior why would I do this, and in retrospect it seems kind of stupid but I thought I would give my engine a preemptive good clean before I start my new round of tuning with my tuner.
It's not leaking oil anywhere. Is there anyway this could be an expected occurrence because of the nature of the oil or do I need to do a compression and leakdown test.
Thanks for any and all input.
Again I know it was a mistake... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly that's odd but I've heard of some engines mysteriously consuming x oil while reverting to the prior oil makes the consumption go away but in another engine when using x oil that caused consumption for you causes no consumption for that engine but using the oil that doesn't cause consumption to you causes it for that engine. It's a weird weird thing that makes no sense because both oils can have near identical kv100, kv40, vii, and flash points ect. but some engines will burn one but not the other. I see it on diesel forums where switching to x oil caused consumption and going back to the same viscosity grade but different brand oil made it go away. I wonder if consumption will cease once you switch back. I can't possibly see how that oil could damage the engine unless maybe it did something to the old turbo seal and made oil start to pass through but i kind of doubt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the response. Prior oil is back in there. Crossing my unreasonably small fingers.

Maybe don't add the MMO with the PBR. It likely still cleaned. You're not going to be running that oil long term anyway as that's a one and done.

How many miles were on the engine when you "PBRed" it? Sealing crud took time to accumulate.
I'd guess the phenomenon you're experiencing isn't that linear.
We experienced engines switched to synthetics from dino used oil.
We never knew what made that happen, but it did. I would've let the PBR be and log top-offs.
If it took the entire OCI to 'settle in', so what?

PBR...makes me think of Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer.

Hmmm just realized I installed an aftermarket Oil Catch can before this interval. Would that account for any of it? Going to check it's contents now.

If this is true the prior buildup should return and rectify the issue right?
Normal ringland deposits aren't a feature to lowering oil consumption. Excessive deposits cause problems like poor ring seal, hot spots, clogged oil control rings and other unwanted behaviors.

Normal ringland deposits aren't a feature to lowering oil consumption. Excessive deposits cause problems like poor ring seal, hot spots, clogged oil control rings and other unwanted behaviors.
Not sure if all of that is true. When dis-assembling pistons and removing the rings, there is always some measurable amount of oil varnish under the rings. I have seen this build up to be quite thick on higher mileage engines. The physics of forcing the rings against the cylinder wall is a wanted characteristic. If suddenly a few mills thickness under the rings circumference should be removed by a chemical reaction, you may very well see an increase of ring bypass and increased oil consumption. I doubt this is the case with the OP as his vehicle is low mileage. As you noted, sticking rings and clogged oil control rings may also have this effect. Most factory passenger car vehicle ring gap is pretty forgiving and somewhat wider than an engine builder may want on his engine.

Not sure if all of that is true. When dis-assembling pistons and removing the rings, there is always some measurable amount of oil varnish under the rings. I have seen this build up to be quite thick on higher mileage engines. The physics of forcing the rings against the cylinder wall is a wanted characteristic. If suddenly a few mills thickness under the rings circumference should be removed by a chemical reaction, you may very well see an increase of ring bypass and increased oil consumption. I doubt this is the case with the OP as his vehicle is low mileage. As you noted, sticking rings and clogged oil control rings may also have this effect. Most factory passenger car vehicle ring gap is pretty forgiving and somewhat wider than an engine builder may want on his engine.
Spring tension, but mostly the cylinder pressure is what pushes the ring to seal.

Lol, I've done the PBR thing on 3 vehicles, only one like OP having no issues. The 2 oil burners responded well to efforts to clean. The no issue one was my hyundai 2.0t which blew up 60 k miles later lol. YMMV.

Back