Oil Considerations For 2011 Frod Shelby GT-500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Check the dogmatic way of thinking at the door.
BITOG is all about exploring options.
Ford engineers have few lubrication options; it's Motorcraft period. If they had all the lubricant choices we have I'd bet a lot that an oil like M1 0W-40 would be there choice.

Its the weight and specs that count not the brand, if Ford wanted to run a 0w40 they would have.

5w50 isn't all the uncommon in high performance applications.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Was Motorcraft 5w50 developed specifically for the Ford GT and Shelby GT500? Perhaps it's along the lines of Castrol TWS with some very special engineering involved...

Castrol 10W-60, now there's an oil!!!!

Stick with the Ford recommendation.

Ford didn't pick and oil off the rack, they developed an oil for the GT.

Let the others shoot from the hip with their Subarus at risk, not your GT.

Motorcraft 5W50 is the only oil that is labeled compliant with Ford's WSS-M2C391-B spec ... essentially an API SM 5W50 synthetic oil that limits Phosphorous to 800ppm.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I would stick with the Motorcraft 5w50. It should be very easy to get. Try 5k and get a UOA. That should guide you for the next one.

Redline and Motul make 5w50s as well. Mobil 1 5w50 is out there but it's virtually impossible to find in the states.

+1

Originally Posted By: coffee
I am curious about something...didn't Ford use MC 5w20 in these at one time and then went to 5w50 or were the supercharged engines always using the 5w50? I seem to remember that Ford was using MC 5w20 on all their vehicles at one point but I may be wrong. Does anyone have any info?

The 2007+ GT500 and Ford GT all use 5W50. 5W20 is recommended for the 2005+ 4.6L and the 5.0L Mustang GT engines. 5W30 is recommended for the 4L V6 Mustang. However the 5.0L for the 2012 Boss also uses 5W50. One of many reasons I would never take my car into a Ford dealer for an oil change ... their techs are subjected to oil confusion with all the combinations and permutations.

Last edited:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2093739&page=1

This is an interesting VOA thread on MC 5w50. The first analysis by Blackstone showed freakishly low ZDDP content, which was way below API minimums. A later analysis in the thread showed acceptable ZDDP.

This is sort of a definitive thread on the MC 5w50, because the UOA listed later in the discussion showed the oil had sheared 24% in ~1300 miles. This was pointed out by Caterham.

Something like RedLine 5-or-10w40 would start out with the same HTHS as the MC 5w50, but not shear nearly as much. RL 5w50 has even higher HTHS, probably more than the engine needs.

If you really want to optimize your oil viscosity choice to your own application you'll need to install a fully operational oil pressure gauge. If you do I think you'll find that nothing heavier than a 5W-30 is necessary for street use; it rarely is.
An OP gauge will also tell you if the oil is loosing viscosity during an OCI for any reason including fuel dilution.

Originally Posted By: SIXSPEED
Motorcraft 5W50 is the only oil that is labeled compliant with Ford's WSS-M2C391-B spec ... essentially an API SM 5W50 synthetic oil that limits Phosphorous to 800ppm.

According to http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=82915470&contentId=6006933 Castrol Syntec 5w-50 also meets WSS-M2C391-B. Is it labeled as being actually approved? I don't have a bottle in front of me, so cannot answer that.

Originally Posted By: coffee
I am curious about something...didn't Ford use MC 5w20 in these at one time and then went to 5w50 or were the supercharged engines always using the 5w50? I seem to remember that Ford was using MC 5w20 on all their vehicles at one point but I may be wrong. Does anyone have any info?

The 2007+ GT500 and Ford GT all use 5W50. 5W20 is recommended for the 2005+ 4.6L and the 5.0L Mustang GT engines. 5W30 is recommended for the 4L V6 Mustang. However the 5.0L for the 2012 Boss also uses 5W50. One of many reasons I would never take my car into a Ford dealer for an oil change ... their techs are subjected to oil confusion with all the combinations and permutations.

That makes sense and I appreciate the info. I knew I had seen some Mustang's with 5w20 recommended.

Originally Posted By: Garak

According to http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=82915470&contentId=6006933 Castrol Syntec 5w-50 also meets WSS-M2C391-B. Is it labeled as being actually approved? I don't have a bottle in front of me, so cannot answer that.

That was their old Syntec API SM oil that made the claim, but their bottles only listed WSS-M2C391-A compliance. Their newer Edge 5W50 SN formula has too much Phosphorous content to meet the spec.

That was their old Syntec API SM oil that made the claim, but their bottles only listed WSS-M2C391-A compliance. Their newer Edge 5W50 SN formula has too much Phosphorous content to meet the spec.

Thanks for the info. It seems BP, too, can't keep their site specs up to date.
wink.gif
Then again, this is Canada, and I'm sure there are plenty of old bottles available.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
But is a somewhat higher P level a problem? Not in my book.

No, I don't see it a major issue. It just would be nice if the specs were up to date for people to make appropriate decisions. My buddy with the GT500 is looking to do his oil change soon, and there really aren't a lot of choices. He either goes for Syntec, and will probably find the old bottles here - the ones the web site claims meet the Ford spec - or he goes with Motorcraft, and as small of a province as we are, it's questionable that they even have the Motorcraft 5w-50 in stock. Heck, in 1999, one local Ford dealership didn't even stock Motorcraft synthetic 5w-30.

That's true. It's his problem, not mine.
wink.gif

He's thinking of getting the oil and changing it himself, anyhow. He's justifiably frightened that they'll dump in bulk 5w-20 or something like that.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Car is brand-new, and has some kind of warranty.

Stick with whst the owners manual says, and run a 5W-50. there is the Frod Motorcraft 5W-50; and another easy-to-get one that is not mentioned here is Castrol Sytec 5W-50.

Since I 'think' Fiord is more concerned about the viscosit (5W-50), you probably would also be fine running Redline 5W-50.

+1 on Syntec 5W-50. "Keep it simple." Use that.

If i had this car i would put that in there. Sweet ride! Ford GT-500, 2011.

I dont see why some would think they know better than those that made the car on this one. I really dont. This car costs a lot of money!

Quote:
No, I don't see it a major issue. It just would be nice if the specs were up to date for people to make appropriate decisions. My buddy with the GT500 is looking to do his oil change soon, and there really aren't a lot of choices. He either goes for Syntec, and will probably find the old bottles here - the ones the web site claims meet the Ford spec - or he goes with Motorcraft, and as small of a province as we are, it's questionable that they even have the Motorcraft 5w-50 in stock. Heck, in 1999, one local Ford dealership didn't even stock Motorcraft synthetic 5w-30.

Thats true.. but nearest parts store will have Syntec 5W-50. This is the one car to put it in.

Originally Posted By: 45ACP
Thats true.. but nearest parts store will have Syntec 5W-50. This is the one car to put it in.

That will definitely be the easiest to find. Besides, in Canada, we'll be stuck with the old bottles for a very long time, so I don't think stumbling across the new version will be much of an issue. Heck, we still haven't even gotten M1 in SN/GF-5 in the 4.5 litre or 5 litre jugs yet! And what's this PU I keep hearing about?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Pete591
Ford says 5W-50 Synthetic.

Suggestions for oil and filter along with frequency for change intervals that might get the maximum life out of a supercharged engine?

I have heard that some engines with "blowers" cause a degree of gasoline "blowby" and it is significant enough to stay away from extended drains.

Comments?

I trust Ford engineers. Ford has put their engines through some very rigorous durability testing that very few people could replicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back