Oil Considerations For 2011 Frod Shelby GT-500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford says 5W-50 Synthetic.

Suggestions for oil and filter along with frequency for change intervals that might get the maximum life out of a supercharged engine?

I have heard that some engines with "blowers" cause a degree of gasoline "blowby" and it is significant enough to stay away from extended drains.

Comments?

I think i would run the factory filter and whatever synthetic you like for 5k then do a uoa. Look at fuel dilution and viscosity for shearing and base your oci length on the results.

Last edited:
I see Amsoil "Z-ROD" 20W-50 is suggested for a 5,000 mile drain in supercharged engines.

I never liked oils like 5W-50's as the molecules tend to not hold up as well as oils with "less of a viscosity spread".

I know the track guys use this oil a lot and wonder if (and I know it might cause the catalytic converters to potentially load a bit with ZDDP) it would be a good choice for extra protection?

I'm not sure the added ZDP would be that much of an added benefit for that type of engine, but everything else would be good. You could always use PU or M1 15w50 as well.

A stout 5/10W-40 may work for you. I have read 5W-50 shears very quickly. The supercharger has its own oil, so just remember to keep an eye on that as well.

You should be fine with a 40 weight unless your flog the snot out of it. Your call though.

I would stick with the Motorcraft 5w50. It should be very easy to get. Try 5k and get a UOA. That should guide you for the next one.

Redline and Motul make 5w50s as well. Mobil 1 5w50 is out there but it's virtually impossible to find in the states.

Last edited:
I currently use M1 5W50 in my 2007 GT500; been considering a mix of M1 0W40 and M1 5W50 after my PT warranty expires next year. IMO the Red Line is too thick of an oil for the 500. I've used the Motorcraft FL-820S, but I'm now using the Ford Racing oil filter. Been changing the oil twice a year, but may elect to go with an annual change since I only drive the car on weekends.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Scott88
A stout 5/10W-40 may work for you. I have read 5W-50 shears very quickly. The supercharger has its own oil, so just remember to keep an eye on that as well.

You should be fine with a 40 weight unless your flog the snot out of it. Your call though.

Maybe Ford took the shearing into account when spec'ing the 5-50 oil for this engine.
Toyota 0-20 shears down in less than a thousand miles-I think the Toyo engineers are also aware of this when sepc'ing oil weights

perhaps m1 0w40?
whistle.gif

Can't go wrong sticking with the specified Motorcraft 5W-50.
This oil shears a good 25% into the light 40wt range and of course Ford knows this consiquently Ford is not really specifying a true 50wt oil.

As an alternative I also think M1 0W-40 would be a excellent choice.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I would stick with the Motorcraft 5w50. It should be very easy to get. Try 5k and get a UOA. That should guide you for the next one.

Agreed. The only other 5w-50 I could find readily available that met Ford's specification was the Castrol Syntec 5w-50. Anyone know what other oils available in Canada meet Ford's requirement? My buddy has one, and M1 doesn't advertise that it meets it, aside from M1 5w-50 being as rare as hen's teeth.

Car is brand-new, and has some kind of warranty.

Stick with whst the owners manual says, and run a 5W-50. there is the Frod Motorcraft 5W-50; and another easy-to-get one that is not mentioned here is Castrol Sytec 5W-50.

Since I 'think' Fiord is more concerned about the viscosit (5W-50), you probably would also be fine running Redline 5W-50.

Run what Ford say's to run, the engineers designed it for that weight. If they wanted you to run something else they would say so in the manual.

Run a 5w50 with a Ford oil filter, and forget it.

As far as when to change it 5k or once a year, whichever comes first.

Check the dogmatic way of thinking at the door.
BITOG is all about exploring options.
Ford engineers have few lubrication options; it's Motorcraft period. If they had all the lubricant choices we have I'd bet a lot that an oil like M1 0W-40 would be there choice.

I am curious about something...didn't Ford use MC 5w20 in these at one time and then went to 5w50 or were the supercharged engines always using the 5w50? I seem to remember that Ford was using MC 5w20 on all their vehicles at one point but I may be wrong. Does anyone have any info?

Was Motorcraft 5w50 developed specifically for the Ford GT and Shelby GT500? Perhaps it's along the lines of Castrol TWS with some very special engineering involved...

Originally Posted By: dparm
Was Motorcraft 5w50 developed specifically for the Ford GT and Shelby GT500? Perhaps it's along the lines of Castrol TWS with some very special engineering involved...

Based on a few dissertations from Doug, I don't think TWS is as "special" as many think it is.

Regarding the Motorcraft 5w50, I think it was developed for the Ford GT. And was then carried over to the GT500. I imagine it was in fact a product designed for a specific application.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Check the dogmatic way of thinking at the door.
BITOG is all about exploring options.
Ford engineers have few lubrication options; it's Motorcraft period. If they had all the lubricant choices we have I'd bet a lot that an oil like M1 0W-40 would be there choice.

Do you think that the Red Line 0w-40 is too much for this app since it starts thicker than the M1, and will likely not shear down as much??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back