Oil choice for highly modified Japanese turbo 4cyl

I think Red Line HP 5w-30 would be a prime candidate here.
Originally Posted by CT8
The engine has some serious mods ,I would ask the builder of the engine.
You'd be surprised how many engine builders don't know jack squat about oil and don't care to learn. There's one near me who recommends Rotella T4 15w-40 in everything. He's been venturing into higher rpm solid valvetrain stuff and can't figure out why he keeps eating pushrods. He absolutely refuses to accept that the oil is the issue. Rotella is god's gift to oil and there's no changing his mind.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by john_pifer
Again, you haven't even told us what car this is. Photos, please!
He did. Its a Mitsubishi Eclipse or Talon. The motor was also in a mid 90's Gallant VR4 turbo, and then a later version was in the famed Evo. Mobil 1 5w50R for the least expensive oil, its what I always used in my Porsche's, or Motul/RedLine if you want to go with the spendy stuff. The type of Oil is not the problem, its either lack of oil, or tuning most likely. Turbo motors are very temperamental to timing at high RPM's. Often times you can work on freeing up the airflow system and actually lowering boost and make more HP at the tires believe it or not.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
I think Red Line HP 5w-30 would be a prime candidate here.
Originally Posted by CT8
The engine has some serious mods ,I would ask the builder of the engine.
You'd be surprised how many engine builders don't know jack squat about oil and don't care to learn. There's one near me who recommends Rotella T4 15w-40 in everything. He's been venturing into higher rpm solid valvetrain stuff and can't figure out why he keeps eating pushrods. He absolutely refuses to accept that the oil is the issue. Rotella is god's gift to oil and there's no changing his mind.
That's very interesting and a very good point ^^^^^^ I remember watching that show on Fast and Loud where a newly rebuilt motor had issues... Because the guys put a whatever oil in it... After the next rebuild they were told to use a certain break in oil.... At times like those.... What is being run in a engine matters a whole lot.

Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup
A couple of questions:: a) was the crankshaft balanced with the weight of the rods, pins, and pistons ? b) what diameters and clearances are you running:: mains? rods? c) what oil pressure are you topping out at? and at what RPM? and what is the idle oil pressure? Any oil system modifications? d) when you bored the block, was the boring bar indexed off the crankshaft center line? e) what kind of bearings are being used? f) was it the main bearings or the rod bearings that showed the wear signs? 25 PSI of pressure can put up to 3× the amount of load the stock (unblown) engine sees. In production, one would make the journal larger to carry the load.
cant say but I'm pretty sure the builder and tuner didnt know what they where doing,the 2time the engine blew on the dyno while tuning right after the brake in phase. sad times.

Lately threads like this get rarely updated so good luck ever getting pictures, let alone if we hear back on what oil they decide to go with! LOL 2cents

Originally Posted by KneeGrinder
He did. Its a Mitsubishi Eclipse or Talon. The motor was also in a mid 90's Gallant VR4 turbo, and then a later version was in the famed Evo. Mobil 1 5w50R for the least expensive oil, its what I always used in my Porsche's, or Motul/RedLine if you want to go with the spendy stuff. The type of Oil is not the problem, its either lack of oil, or tuning most likely. Turbo motors are very temperamental to timing at high RPM's. Often times you can work on freeing up the airflow system and actually lowering boost and make more HP at the tires believe it or not.
No, sir, he did not.