Oil change with PP 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought this car used 06 Freestyle, so I had no clue what kind oil that was in it. The Ford dealer think they put MC 5w-20, but I doubt it, because it took a while to warm up. First I thing notice the car got operating much quicker with PP 5w-20 and seems to rev a quicker( I used a OBD II program to monitor the temp). If were to guess what dealer put in the car, it would be some cheap 10w-30 oil. Moral of the story is don’t trust anybody to change your oil.

tan,

I have 05 Freestyle, now at 24K (purchased 2/06). I ran the MC at 3K OCI until about 18K. This was the first 5W20 and I was concerned about sheer down with light weight. So I decided to do 5K OCI with inexpensive group III.

PP went 5K w/zero oil consumed ($2/qt). I understand this is Shells HXVI basestock which I like due to another application. QS Q-Torque ($0/QT) in now (Conaco base or Shell?) and Valvoline Synpower ($1/qt) is next. Mobil 1 also is hanging in garage ($$$). This order is my current preference; best to least so far. I'm monitoring long-term MPG on each but don't expect any difference so far.

MC blend (Conaco base) is great at $2 Walmart. And I would use TropArtic (Conaco?)blend if available in 5W20 at $1.68/qt.

Based on my study the blends would probably do fine for the warranty required 5K OCI but if I can get Grp III for less, why not ? My average vehicle gets used up to 150K so I look long term. Also I don't like oil consumption.

I now feel more comfortable with 5W20 at 5K than I did at first (same thing happen on a 1997 GM using 10W30 now at 140K). Of course avoid 5 or 10W30 in this application.

BTW the MC FL-820S filter ($3.28) is excellent choice as seen in filter studies on this site.

I'm averaging 24.3 mpg with PP that's 60/50 high/city driving at 18k. Before PP I was only getting 23.6mpg It's also getting warmer here in MN.

I have a 2007 Dodge Caliber R/T that I bought the last week of December. I dump the factory fill at 1500 miles and replaced it with Castrol GTX. I changed it at 5500 miles with Castrol Syntec. I will be crossing over the 10,000 miles mark this weekend and I will be changing it to PP. I am going to take a sample of the Castrol Syntec for a oa. This will be compared to the PP after I get about 5000 miles on it.

I don't know if it's the change in gasoline to summer blends. But my gas mileage has increased 1 to 2 mpg since switching to PP. I fill up usually twice a week, so I keep a close eye on things.

The ambient temperature has to do more with better milage than blend. It just take the engine quicker to reach optimum operating condition when it's warm.

I always get 3-4 more mpg during the summer.

Also... a lot of folks neglect to bleed some air from their tires when entering a warmer season. 35psi in winter can quickly become 40+ in the spring/summer without touching a thing. Leads to better mileage, but can also lead to uneven tire wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back