oil change question

Doing an oil change with full synthetic 5W-20 today, I find after putting in 5 qts of the new oil, I am about a half a quart from completely full. I would like to top it right to the "full" line, as usual. The vehicle, a 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan, calls for 5W-20.
Problem is, I am out of any more 5W-20 synthetic oil, but I do have some 0W-20 (synthetic). The only other oil I have on hand is some 5W-20 semi synthetic. Can I use either of these oils (about a half quart or a little less) to top off this oil change ?
Or better to wait and go get some 5W-20 full syn and use that ?
Thank you for any and all advice.

i am no mechanic but am loathe to drive around with any fluid at less than the fully prescribed amount. i would first top off with a synthetic over a semisynthetic but either is better than doing nothing. the owner’s manual likely offers guidance on alternative oil weights.

a couple of times during long road trips at a morning preflight check i topped off my 2.5, nonturbo, five cylinder, vw passat with maybe as much as a pint of synthetic x-w30 or w40, non vw spec, oil. nothing bad has ever happened, albeit the 2.5 is vw’s stoutest and simplest engine. if o.p.’s dodge g.c. has the uber-robust 3.6 pentastar engine, it has been spec’d for a variety of oil weights over time.

a couple of times during long road trips at a morning preflight check i topped off my 2.5, nonturbo, five cylinder, vw passat with maybe as much as a pint of synthetic x-w30 or w40, non vw spec, oil. nothing bad has ever happened, albeit the 2.5 is vw’s stoutest and simplest engine. if o.p.’s dodge g.c. has the uber-robust 3.6 pentastar engine, it has been spec’d for a variety of oil weights over time.
That's true, and the funny thing is that Benz also built a 5 cylinder diesel engine (non-turbo). Wait, VW did that too, the early 90s. Good times ;) The joke about the VW 5-cylinder gas engine was that it pulls like a four and drinks like a six, however, I have no way of knowing because I never owned one. My 2018 4-cylinder Hyundai 2.4L Theta II motor pulls like a four and drinks like a six :ROFLMAO:

If your engine doesn't use oil I wouldn't worry about it. Mine don't use oil so if it's 1/2 quart low after a change, that's fine with me. Rarely do my vehicles get to the full line when I change oil.

Doing an oil change with full synthetic 5W-20 today, I find after putting in 5 qts of the new oil, I am about a half a quart from completely full. I would like to top it right to the "full" line, as usual.

Don't do this. It's better to fill in 5 quarts, then let it run for a minute or so and
check both the drain plug and the filter for leaks. Do also check the oil level. It's
better to fill in less than the specced service fill initially, then top off to maximum.

Problem is, I am out of any more 5W-20 synthetic oil, but I do have some 0W-20 (synthetic). The only other oil I have on hand is some 5W-20 semi synthetic. Can I use either of these oils (about a half quart or a little less) to top off this oil change ?
Or better to wait and go get some 5W-20 full syn and use that ?

Most probably a non-issue. Read this or one of several hundred similar discussions:

... Or better to wait and go get some 5W-20 full syn and use that ? ...
That's the most ideal solution, for reasons 930 mentioned, preferably with the same brand. Running it half a quart below full for a short time with brand new oil won't hurt a thing, in the least. Your other proposals probably wouldn't do any major harm, either.

I got a TSB in the mail on my '92 Mercedes diesel to only fill to half way up on the dipstick marks to prevent aeration and excessive loss in the PCV.
Most manuals tell you to keep it over the "Min" mark and anything between that and "Max" is fine and dandy.

Back