Oil Change Intervals by Manuf

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Mike:

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
GM has announced that the impala and monte carlo will be redesigned for 2006, and will be V-8 powered and rear wheel drive.
grin.gif

What are you smoking??

Sorry, I'm not smoking anything. It was reported in car craft 2 months ago. It seems that it will be in answer to the proposed introduction of many v-8, rear drive models from ford and DC. DC is bringing back the charger next year (2005 model I believe), with the 5.7 hemi and RWD.

Originally posted by CJH:
quote:

The conditions for severe duty in the manuals for my cars go something like this:

Follow severe schedule if you drive your vehicle MAINLY under one or more of the following conditions:

NOTE: If you only OCCASIONALLY drive under a severe condition, you should follow the normal schedule.

- Driving less than 5 miles per trip? NOT ME

- Driving less than 10 miles per trip in freezing weather? NOT ME

- Most of your driving in extremely hot (>90 degrees F) conditions? NOT ME

- Driving with a roof-top carrier? NOT ME

- Driving in mountainous conditions? NOT ME

- Driving on muddy, dusty or de-iced roads? NOT ME

Unfortunately this doesnt apply to everyone. Severe service conditions very widely from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Joel

Many never read the owners manuals. They listen to all the advertising hype and go with that. Others read the manual and only pay attention to selective parts that fit the criteria from past habits.

Many think the fall into the catagory of severe use but in truth, its rarey the case. They just won't change no matter what. But they probably use their tires till the air shows.

All the extended drain intervals are probably due to a few factors.

Cleaner and more reliable fuel managment systems (as in cleaner for a VERY LONG TIME).

Vastly improved lubricants.

..and probably the biggest one....

National energy/ecological policy

Pollution issues were pushed to the auto manufacturers ...then to the oil refiners ...now to the amount of spent oil produced (recycling isn't really big in the motor oil sector- oh it's there ...just when is the last time you picked up a quart of recycled oil??). I'm sure that the feds have pressured the manufacturers to reduce the routine oil consumption of their collective fleets.

This was from my Honda manual and was only inteded to be representative of typical requirements. My GM cars are very similar, althogh I don't think they are concerned about the >90 degree temps.

quote:

Originally posted by JTK:
Originally posted by CJH:
quote:

The conditions for severe duty in the manuals for my cars go something like this:

Follow severe schedule if you drive your vehicle MAINLY under one or more of the following conditions:

NOTE: If you only OCCASIONALLY drive under a severe condition, you should follow the normal schedule.

- Driving less than 5 miles per trip? NOT ME

- Driving less than 10 miles per trip in freezing weather? NOT ME

- Most of your driving in extremely hot (>90 degrees F) conditions? NOT ME

- Driving with a roof-top carrier? NOT ME

- Driving in mountainous conditions? NOT ME

- Driving on muddy, dusty or de-iced roads? NOT ME

Unfortunately this doesnt apply to everyone. Severe service conditions very widely from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Joel

[ August 19, 2003, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: CJH ]

"There is no lab in M-B nor BMW and other cars with service interval indicators. The oil is not tested, your driving is. By constantly monitoring engine speed, number of cold starts, the amount of burned fuel, etc. ECU is able to adjust the service intervals accordingly."

Nice try. Lets clarify. There is no lab in domestic cars with service interval indicators.
New MB approach is to add oil dielectric sensor to supplement what you mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back