Oil Change Interval

I go by the OLM on all of my vehicles. The Toyota’s trigger at 10k intervals and the other vary a bit but average around 8k. I always use a new filter and have used nothing but synthetic for the past several years.

I base mine off of the owner's manuals for my cars.
From what I infer in it:
Kia Rio 1.6L - every 100 operational hours
Ford Escape 2.0L - every 150 operational hours

Most of my driving is highway; I average 42-45 MPH (tracked by the car's computer)
Most of my wife's driving is city; she averages 32-35 MPH (tracked by the car's computer)
Kia Rio 1.6L - 3200 miles to 4500 miles
Ford Escape 2.0L - 4800 miles to 6750 miles

My manual says 15k km, but I drive quite hard and very little freeway cruising so I usually end up doing it around 12k km. That's about what I typically drive in a year anyway. If I drove more freeway I would have no problem going the full interval.
What country does your car come from? I got into big trouble on reddit for saying 15k miles which is something that came up when I googled it.

I have extended my OCIs because of Bitog too. I don't daily drive, as a flight attendant i barely run 3000 kilometers a year in all of my cars. Now, using semi syn oils I do the oil change every year or every year and a half sometimes. Except in my Fiat Marea Turbo that runs with very rich mixture, so I change de oil every 8 to 10 months.

I use to overthink that plan.

IE April and November because analysis showed winter was harder on oil.
I'm more like this, but will probably skip the oil change before winter this year, as the miles being put on the vehicles is very, very low. Maybe our Minivan will get changed, but the Jeep and Nissan will not. This interval is between 3000 and 5000 miles, mainly on the minivan, as it gets all the 2 mile trips. The Nissan, in a normal year, has a daily 30 mile commute, and the Jeep is a toy that runs 25-50 miles each weekend, though it is also a once a year change, as it gets fully warmed and driven each time it goes out.

Back