Oil Change Interval

Oil Change Interval (None vehicle specific, just your general inclination).

1. Short
2. Standard (As recommended in owner's manual)
3. Extended (Longer than recommendation with proper precautions)

I picked an OCI for all 10 vehicles I maintain. 5000 miles on Synthetics from Wal-Mart, Making it more universal now by transitioning all 10 vehicles to one oil grade as well. Moving towards 5000 mile intervals with Mobil1 0W40 on every vehicle.

Synthetic only. 4,500 to 7,000 mile OCI.
Replace filter every other service. Extractor makes services super easy, clean and fast.

Per your list, I'd say short to standard. I do 5-7.5K depending on use (lots of highway longer, lots of city/racing/hammering shorter). I match it to the tire rotation for simplicity. Always a new filter (not changing the filter each change is just silly to me) My car is tuned/modified and gets beat on (high speeds, launches, etc) so that also factors in. At that OCI, I'm at 4 changes a year which isn't a lot to me. I do UOAs each time and they provide backup that my change interval is fine - can certainly go longer based on them but at some point, it's just not expensive to change your oil so why push it? For your average driver just putzing around, what the manual says (both OCI and oil recommendation) is going to work great and should be more than adequate. My other 3 cars are low annual mileage (5-10K) so get 1 to 2 changes a year.

Short. 5,000 miles, Mobil1 or Penz Platinum. The Mustang's oil gets changed when the oil life reaches 20%. I changed it last week, I think it may have had 3,000 miles on it.

1. 14 Durango 3.6L, Pennz Plat, 0w-20, 10K OCI
2. 18 F150 3.5L, Eco Castrol Edge, 0w-40, 5K OCI
3. 18 Wrangler 2.0T, Pennz Plat, 5w-30, 5K OCI.

GTDI get short(ish)
NA PFI get standard.

I change the filter every time I change the oil.
On my 2005 Jeep 5,000 miles. Old habits die hard but I've used the XX0,XXX and XX5,XXX method for many years with great success.
On my 2012 Ram and 2014 T&C I follow the EVIC after the first oil change. Apparently the car's computer knows better than me ;). Besides I use synthetic in the T&C and semi synthetic in the Cummins. The EVIC doesn't know what type of oil so I figured I'm more than covered as it uses an algorithm to determine OCI.

standard, unless the car is known for sludge or other issues, then short

If the car has an OLM, I use the cheapest synthetic on sale to the computer-suggested OCI

extended on older cars not using an OLM; these get top-tier synthetic oil and filter

Multi-port fuel injunction 5,000-6,500
Direct injection 5,000 tops
Whatever synthetic is on sale/rebate

Oil Change Interval (None vehicle specific, just your general inclination).

1. Short
2. Standard (As recommended in owner's manual)
3. Extended (Longer than recommendation with proper precautions)

2. Standard as Recommended per the owner's manual with the exception of a known problem with a particular engine which may be reason for a shorter OCI.

My manual says 15k km, but I drive quite hard and very little freeway cruising so I usually end up doing it around 12k km. That's about what I typically drive in a year anyway. If I drove more freeway I would have no problem going the full interval.

Between 8 and 12k miles on my standard vehicles.
5k or after severe abuse on my Porsches
Olm on that Audi not listed

Back