Oil Change Interval

BeerCan I remember when only two of those were on that list.
...and now you have another one that won't fit?
What can I say, I have a sickness 🥴

In reality I got the f150 and the Audi for my parents and I do all the maintenance. Also the mustang is no longer here, my daughter took it to Texas so it's out of my control now. My car insurance is a nightmare 😆

Jetta -- 7000 miles
Acura -- 5-6000 miles
Subaru -- 4-5000 miles
Dodge Ram -- 3-4000 miles (Ram turns any oil dark at 1000 miles)
Ps. All use Fram Ultras and get changed after multiple OCIs

'13 Fit : 7,500 > 9,500 miles . Little over 10,000 miles was longest . Oils : P.P. 0w-20 + Mobil1 AFE 0w-20 once or twice .
'18 Accent : 5,500 > 7,000 (?) miles . P.P. 5w-20 for all O.C.s.

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_20200715_110014.jpg
    IMG_20200715_110014.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 30
Short, typically. I like 5k, nice round number. Summer months I might do 10k on the newer vehicles. Pre-pandemic my household was doing >50k/year so an oil change per month. Post-pandemic I probably could do spring/fall... although that might still be too frequent!

Oil is as good as the oil lasts, there is no set period out of the bottle. Only UOA's will tell you how long a oil type will work in your specific engine under your specific workloads in your specific environment.

For me, on my 2006 Lexus GX470 v8, I change oil & filter every 6mo regardless of oil miles, but it works out to be around 6kmi. The UOA tells me the oil could likely go to 8k-10kmi, but my 6mo schedule for past 14yrs has gotten the engine to 222kmi w/o any signs of engine issue. I only use Valvoline or Mobil1 full synth with Wix oil filter.

I too use the MityVac, but I do use oil plug every 3-4 oil drops because I use the magnetic plugs, so I want to see what metal it may catch (if any) and remove it.

04 Corolla and 06 ML 500 - 5k miles/8k kilometres or one year, whatever comes first.

For the 370z it's a summer car, so once a year basically which equates to no more than 5,000 kilometres or 3,750 miles. Oil filter is changed each time the oil is changed, don't care what's on the box in terms of mileage a filter/ oil can handle. Peace of mind > money, all day everyday.

Oil Change Interval (None vehicle specific, just your general inclination).

1. Short
2. Standard (As recommended in owner's manual)
3. Extended (Longer than recommendation with proper precautions)
2. My OLM’s are generally low % around 7k …

Back