Oil Change Dillema

Just bought a 2021 Hyundai Tuscon with the 2.4l GDI engine. It came with free 3 year scheduled maintenance, of which an oil change is scheduled for 7500 miles. Dealer stated they can go up to 1000 miles on either side of that number. Now since this engine is GDI, I can’t go that long on oil. I do 5k changes, and the Blackstone report on the 2.0l in the wife’s Elantra GDI says 5k is pretty much done for the oil. Here is my thoughts:
1. Cringe and drive that far anyway.
2. Quietly Drop oil only myself at 3700, then let dealer do full oil/filter change at 7k
3 blow off the free maintenance and just go straight to the 5k intervals.

The unit has 538 miles on it right now. It’s not a lease, and I do not intend on trading the vehicle.
I'd blow off the dealer maintenance, and drop the oil early. I'd keep documentation and proof I did the work. Too many horror stories with dealers. Then there's the inconvenience of dropping the vehicle off, having to wait, or if you're lucky enough to get a loaner you still have to return that and pick up your car. All that adds up to a big no thanks for me. I'd do it myself, know it's done right and not have to worry about the dealer messing something up, or wasting any of my time.

Just bought a 2021 Hyundai Tuscon with the 2.4l GDI engine. It came with free 3 year scheduled maintenance, of which an oil change is scheduled for 7500 miles. Dealer stated they can go up to 1000 miles on either side of that number. Now since this engine is GDI, I can’t go that long on oil. I do 5k changes, and the Blackstone report on the 2.0l in the wife’s Elantra GDI says 5k is pretty much done for the oil. Here is my thoughts:
2. Quietly Drop oil only myself at 3700, then let dealer do full oil/filter change at 7k

The unit has 538 miles on it right now. It’s not a lease, and I do not intend on trading the vehicle.
#2 for the Win !!! Does the dealer state what type of oil and grade they use ? ... My 2017 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L GDI receives Synthetic 5W30 D1 / Gen 2 SN+ oils (such as Mobil 1 , Pennzoil Platinum , Valvoline Advance and Quaker State synthetic oil) . I ran 5W20 synthetic Quaker State for a gentle 3,900 mile suburban OCI and the UOA came back showing the oil was just about toast plus I had to add almost 1 qrt. make up 5W20 QSUD oil with smell of fuel dilution . My 2.4L is doing much better with 5W30 synthetic (no oil consumption either yet at almost 2,000 miles) . **Curious what oil does it say on your oil cap - 5W20 ? ... Lastly , unless you are running straight highway or interstate travel it simply is not a good idea to run 7,500 mile OCI's in a Hyundai GDI engine that sees any type of mixed driving . By 1,500 miles my 2.4L oil is getting noticeably dark from GDI engine soot and soot is abrasive when it builds up in the oil ... Find out what type of oil they use (Quaker State ?) and if it's 5W20 or 5W30 they offer ? If your owners manual states 5W30 is allowed - that is what I would use if the dealer gives you a choice .

I use 5w-30 in all my Hyundai's. I do not know what oil they (The dealer) use. Oil cap says 5w-20. I know about the intervals, hence why I just cant sleep right going that far out. This is the Oil sample report for the Elantra GT with it's 2.0 GDI:

Attachments

• GT Oil Edited.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 66
Reactions: JC1
I sure hope Hyundai got there metal shavings in the oil that destroyed hundreds of thousands engines in the not so far past solved.
gdi issues needs to worry u last.

I would change oil every 3750 miles (alternating between an oil change I paid for and a change the dealer pays for).
Another thing to note is: Most dealerships use bulk oil. My Honda Dealer told me they use bulk motor oil from "Gulf" due to its lowest cost. I would prefer to use best oil available: (Ex: Penzoil Ultra Platinum: 5 quart jug bought from Walmart for less that $25), and hand it to local mechanic to do the oil change for you. I found a shop which only charges me $14 labor to do the oil change, and I supply them with synthetic oil, OEM filter, and crush washer.

Personally, I'd change oil at 3.7-4K miles leaving filter in place (unless you get new OEM filter) and then let dealer do another change at 7.5K miles.

I posted a 4k/6mo OCI UOA with Kirkland 5w30 oil and my 2.4. The oil could have probably gone longer, and I drive mostly city and low miles. No doubt it could go 5-6k, and maybe longer with hwy driving. 3750 severe interval isnt necessary with synthetic.

Last edited:
Probably what I plan to do. Change out just the oil. Someone asked if I’d posted the UOA, I don’t think I did. I’ll look for it tonight and post. I normally did 5k changes on all my Hyundais, and only use the OEM filters. Anyone with a link to this mighty vac extractor?

Just go 6500 with the dealer. When in Doubt; Extract it out! Use the spec oil of your choice at 3250 if you wish. Leave the filter in place for the dealer to change every 6500 .02

Most likely the "Similar Threads" thing at the bottom of the page has lured another member to bump an old thread....
Yep. I'm not one to point fingers. Just making an observation

I wish threads automatically locked after a calendar year of dormancy and needed mod approval to be unlocked. I would volunteer my time to be a "junior mod" just to sort through those to prevent unnecessary thread revivals

Back