Same oil for 3 different cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SirTanon
If I'm not mistaken, the Mazda 6 i Touring has the same 2.5 liter i4 engine used by the Ford Fusion (the L5-VE). Assuming yours does, then the engine in your Mazda is the same as what's in my Fusion, and I've run 5w-30 oil in my Fusion at least as much as, if not more than, I've used 5w-20 oil, and it's never been a problem. Considering you're in TX, I wouldn't think a 5w-30 would be a problem in your 2.5 either.

Considering that the other two cars you're referring to also spec 5w-30 oil, I would expect that you could simply utilize the Castrol 5w-30 or Pennzoil 5w-30 for all 3, and not give it any more thought.

Yes, it is the same engine as your Fusion. The 2010 Mazda 6 is kind of a Ford/Mazda mashup before that partnership ended. I view the Mazda as a Fusion with a Mazda body, interior, and suspension. I believe the 2 cars were actually built in the same factory in Flatrock, MI. The current model 6 is built in Hiroshima I believe.

Thanks for sharing. That's great that you have that many miles on your Fusion. Has a been a good car for you overall?

Castrol Edge Professional A5 5w-30 has NOACK of 12.3%
Pennzoil is around 9%.
are they group III oils?

Originally Posted by Patman
Why the need to run one oil for all three cars? I have three different cars running not only three different brands but three different viscosities too. There really is no true one size fits all oil for everything, I prefer picking the right oil for the specific job.

I'm with Patman.

However, to directly answer your question I would use either Castrol 5W-30 (which comes in both A5/B5 and A3/B4 flavors) or Pennzoil Euro Platinum 5W-30, which is an A3/B4, MB229.5, LL-01. I wouldn't take all your vehicles down in viscosity to the 5w-20. Just pick
whichever one you like the best.

Now, go back and read Patman's original statement.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ddub
Thank you, everyone. All good stuff to consider.

Looking into it a little further, it looks as if PP (non-Euro) is an ACEA A5/B5 oil. That will work for the Volvo and the other 2 as well, so I have 4 different choices sticking with Castrol Edge (5W-30 in A5/B5 or A3/B4) or Pennzoil (5W-30 PP A5/B5 or 5W-30 PP Euro A3/B4). I see no reason to go to a boutique oil in my applications and OCIs, and do not want to stray too far from the 5W-30 requirements (Volvo requires, Hyundai needs, and Mazda will be fine with), so will not go to a 0W-40 or similar right now.

As for my wanting to do this (if possible), it just makes buying, storing, and pouring easier. Only the Mazda takes a 5qt bottle (although it really calls for 5.5). The Hyundai takes 5 and change, and the Volvo is 6.2qts, so it's just easier having 1 kind of oil around if I am going to be left with partially full bottles. I'm not married to the idea, but may do it as the next OCI approaches. The Mazda is up next I think.

Makes good sense to me.

I tried reducing the inventory to one brand and grade but the Dodge and F150 like the bulk of a HM 10w30. The 4Runner spec's 5w30 but I put it into the same class as the Dodge and F150. Next OC I'll go back to HM 5w30. The Ranger doesn't care. So next time around I'll be down to 2 choices just like I have now except 2 vehicles on HM 5w30 and 2 on HM 10w30. I was going to put the Ranger on vanilla 5w30 but that would make 3 choices. BITOG OCD? I'm with the OP. Too many choices for the old grey matter.

Originally Posted by Gebo
...Pennzoil Euro Platinum 5W-30, which is an A3/B4, MB229.5, LL-01.

This oil, unfortunately, doesn't actually exist. Their is a Shell Helix variant, and there was a Pennzoil version of the sheet created and still available for download, but it is not available for sale anywhere in North America. It's not even in the system for distributors to try to order it. They do have the C3 type variants, but this A3/B4 5w-30 is a phantom.

Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by Gebo
...Pennzoil Euro Platinum 5W-30, which is an A3/B4, MB229.5, LL-01.

This oil, unfortunately, doesn't actually exist. Their is a Shell Helix variant, and there was a Pennzoil version of the sheet created and still available for download, but it is not available for sale anywhere in North America. It's not even in the system for distributors to try to order it. They do have the C3 type variants, but this A3/B4 5w-30 is a phantom.

Garak, you did see I was just repeating the choices the OP had given?

LOL. I'm a diehard Amsoil and Schaeffer guy. I'd only use Pennzoil as a mistake. Haha

Well, now I did. I somehow missed that on the first read. In that case, it would take a miraculous mistake to use a Pennzoil 5w-30 A3/B4.
wink.gif
It just came to mind because in one of the Oil Analysis threads, someone had posted the Shell Helix 5w-30 A3/B4 data sheet, which was identical to the Pennzoil 5w-30 A3/B4 sheet (except using Shell instead of Pennzoil), and I just suggested that someone ended up translating more data sheets to Pennzoil than was necessary, since the 5w-30 A3/B4 is imaginary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back