Mobil 1 is slipping, ACEA downgrades for M1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: geeman789
M1 0w40 has become the go to oil for many performance oriented owners of ANY brand of car.

Down here most people are still allergic to the whole "0w" thing. They avoid it like a plague unless the owner's manual specifically calls for it.

Like the parts counter guy who told me that 0w40 was much too thin for any performance car... " It's a ZERO WEIGHT, YOU KNOW...?!? Sadly, this was 6 months after being told that the 0w40 was way too thick for use in the winter....!

Under the category.... Thank you for your opinion... but I don't recall ASKING for it...!

I am sorry to hear the bad news that Mobil 1 may be cheapening their oil so it no longer passes the ACEA ratings.

(1) Is this only affecting the Walmart 5 quart jug version, or also the more expensive 1 quart containers.

(2) Did Mobil change the formulation?

(3) Is there any confirmation from Mobil or from the Internet as to what has happened?

Thanks...

Bill7, it also affects the single quart bottles as well as the 5qt jug.

The formulation may or may not have changed, and all the oil companies change their formulas regularly.

You probably won't get a decent answer from them even if someone did ask.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
M1 0w40 has become the go to oil for many performance oriented owners of ANY brand of car.

Down here most people are still allergic to the whole "0w" thing. They avoid it like a plague unless the owner's manual specifically calls for it.

Like the parts counter guy who told me that 0w40 was much too thin for any performance car... " It's a ZERO WEIGHT, YOU KNOW...?!? Sadly, this was 6 months after being told that the 0w40 was way too thick for use in the winter....!

Under the category.... Thank you for your opinion... but I don't recall ASKING for it...!

I ran Rotella T6 last winter, thinking it would be thinner than a 10w-30 at most temperatures. Turns out that is not the case!

Originally Posted By: Bill7
I am sorry to hear the bad news that Mobil 1 may be cheapening their oil so it no longer passes the ACEA ratings.

(1) Is this only affecting the Walmart 5 quart jug version, or also the more expensive 1 quart containers.

(2) Did Mobil change the formulation?

(3) Is there any confirmation from Mobil or from the Internet as to what has happened?

Thanks...

Looks like tommygunn answered for the most part however I thought I should touch on your Walmart comment and clarify that Walmart gets the exact same oil as any other retailer. Mobil does not cheapen their formulations for retail sale at Walmart,it's the exact same stuff you can buy any where else.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
At Walmart today, I noticed something disturbing about some of the new M1 bottles.

The 0w20 and 5w20's no longer have ACEA on them at all

5w30 is only A1/B1 now instead of A5/B5. This affects all variants of 5w30, regular, HM, and EP.

Earlier this year, the heavier grades lost their A3/B4 spec and became A3/B3-only.

This, as PP 5w30 finally meets A5/B5 (before the recent changeover, only PU met this standard).

Castrol Edge continues to meet the ACEA standards. A1/B1 in 0/5w20, A5/B5 in 5/10w30, and A3/B4 for the heavier grades (except for a classic car formulation that never met ACEA).

The mobil1.com website still lists the ACEA Spec A1/B1 and A5/B5, at least for 5W-30, which is what I buy.

ACEA now has 2012 specs. As in A5/B5-12. The previous latest was A5/B5-10.

I've seen the new labels in Walmart as well.

So it could be that Mobil has chosen not to reformulate to meet the latest 2012 specs, or is in the process.

Some oils list which years spec it meets, like A5/B5-08.

Lubrizol has updated it's Relative Performance tool to include the 2012 specs.

http://lubrizol.com/apps/relperftool/pc.html

Originally Posted By: BrianC
So it could be that Mobil has chosen not to reformulate to meet the latest 2012 specs, or is in the process.

I'm going to call it a labeling error. While XOM and Imperial Oil aren't quite as frugal when it comes to labeling as is SOPUS, there are still issues. I checked my orphaned quarts of Mobil 1 5w-30 and my jugs of Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40. All had errors. The M1 didn't list the A5/B5, and that was older oil. The Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 bottle lists E4, which is clearly wrong, and would only apply to the CI-4 Delvac 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back