Volvo B630T4 T6 Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

The car in question is a Volvo XC60 with the 3.0 turbocharged T6 engine. The manual specs an A5/B5 oil in 5W-30 or 0W-30, but I'm a bit confused because I've seen other threads on here that have varying information. My main concern is the life of the engine and high temps.

I've seen people recommend A3/B4 because A5/B5 only improves fuel economy. Then, I've noticed that it's hard to actually find an A5/B5 oil. All I've noticed are Pennzoil Platinum, or Liqui Moly. Castrol (as recommend by Volvo) doesn't even have an oil in the US that meets this spec, that I can see.

I'm probably over thinking this, but I wanted to ask the pro's. So, what's the general consensus or general advice on how to proceed with an oil to try?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by mgm7890
Then, I've noticed that it's hard to actually find an A5/B5 oil.
Mobil1 5w-30 EP is A5/B5. Plain vanilla Mobil1 5w-30 is also A5/B5.

Thanks for the info, all! My apologies for missing that info on the M1 site.

Does anyone here have any personal experience with this engine and different oils for it?

What are people's thoughts of M1 0W-40 in this engine? I've been using that in a non-turbo 5 cylinder Volvo with no issues.

Originally Posted by mgm7890
What are people's thoughts of M1 0W-40 in this engine? I've been using that in a non-turbo 5 cylinder Volvo with no issues.
I've used M1 0w-40 for 2-3 years in the 5-cylinder 2.4 liter light pressure turbo with good results. See this thread for more details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back