Shorter OCI for GDI Engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by odie
Our '18 ACCENT gets dark not long after oil change . Was surprised by it . Using Pennzoil Patinum 5w-20 that's nearing 3,000 miles . Plan to change around 7,000 miles .

According to Hyundai's literature, just about everyone falls under Severe Service and that's keeping the OCI to 4K.
Not long after an oil change and my dipstick is still clear.

Our '18 ACCENT gets dark not long after oil change . Was surprised by it . Using Pennzoil Patinum 5w-20 that's nearing 3,000 miles . Plan to change around 7,000 miles .

*If your Accent is a GDI engine then you can forget about a 7,000 mile OCI ... You will need to back that down to a 4K to 5K mile OCI with a 5W20 or 5W30 synthetic D1 / Gen 2 rated oil of your choice .

Originally Posted by ChrisD46

*If your Accent is a GDI engine then you can forget about a 7,000 mile OCI ... You will need to back that down to a 4K to 5K mile OCI with a 5W20 or 5W30 synthetic D1 / Gen 2 rated oil of your choice .

Yes, this is from my experience as well based on UOAs and a qualitative observation of oil coming out at 6k-8k intervals. Using oil that meets the bare Ford spec for 5W-30 in a 3.5L EcoBoost, even 6k OCIs were pushing it with regular non-severe driving.

I'm going to throw my 2c in here with my current experiences with my 2019 Hyundai Accent 1.6 GDI.
Now it only has 24,000km so far but is half way through its 2nd oil change.

Here in Australia the service intervals are set at 15,000km or 7,500km under severe conditions. Yes, nearly 10,000 miles on ALL non turbo GDI engines using dealership Dino!

I dropped the factory fill at 4,000km because it was very glittered with Al. The oil was fairly dark, not too bad but there was no way it was staying in for another 11k!

That was replaced by myself with Nulon full syn Euro 5W30 and a high efficiency Ryco SynTec filter. This fill went the next 11k until service time. It was pretty dark and did have a slight fuel smell but nothing more than my other two older MPI engines, plus all metal particles were visibly gone.

My dealership has agreed to let me supply my own oil so my choice from here on is Castrol Edge 10W30, which meets the specs, and I feel the fewer VIIs may make for a more robust oil and help lower its volatility, although I know some would argue it may have a lower quality base.
Either way I'm happy since they knock $50 off per service, and I can pick up a bottle of Edge on sale for around $40 which is better than what they would put in.

I'm about halfway through this OCI now (due at 30,000km) and it is starting to look dark, but I'm not letting it put me off! With the amount of driving we do (70% hwy, 30% city) I don't want to be taking it to the dealership ($207 + oil) every 2 months or so to keep it at that 5k mile mark! I am willing to keep a close eye on my somewhat extended (but recommend) OCIs using a decent synthetic...

Originally Posted by ChrisD46

Which seems crazy to me, but you're right. Hyundai's "Severe operation" is basically what nearly everyone drives in. They recommend changing the oil every 3,750 miles, or every 6 months which is just nuts to me. The manual doesn't even state synthetic or blend.

The manual calls for:
  • API SM & ILSAC GF-4 (or above)
  • ACEA A5/B5

And gives you a choice of using 5w20, 5w30, or 10w30

Which is basically any oil in existence. If I had that car in Texas, I'd run whatever I could find.

Originally Posted by BurntMusic

Which is basically any oil in existence. If I had that car in Texas, I'd run whatever I could find.

For the long haul, scratch that buy anything idea and just get used to spending at least $20 on a jug of good oil every 4K..... $25-30 on very good oil, or $30-35 on the best mid-priced market oils like Mobil-1 AP, Modern Engine.....etc. Remove frugal thoughts from owning a couple different TGDI / GDI engines from Korea. If money is a big concern, reach for the $15 Supertech Syn and keep that engine relatively clean.

Stay away from conventional or blends if possible. So many owners went conventional oil and 7K - didn't keep-up their warranty requirements and now are faced with disabled engines stacked up by the thousands across America..... what I heard anyways. Many are needing to fix these repairs out-of-pocket.

I'm discussing owners that keep their vehicles a long-long time. Not leasers - not folks that get new vehicles every 50-100K.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back