Extended OCI : "Just Say No" - If You Drive GDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just thought I would add to this thread with info from my most recent UOA from my Corvette. It has direct injection and even after 5578 miles it showed a value of <1% fuel dilution. I wish I knew for sure if the actual value was really 0 or maybe it was 0.9% but even if it was that high that still is not bad at all, and it shows that this engine can handle 7500 to 8000 mile OCIs. That's about as far as the oil life monitor will let you take it, but I'm ok with that, I see no need to try to push my oil beyond that.

No catch can for me, I don't want to have a hassle if I need to go in for warranty work, plus I question their effectiveness in the first place, that is quite a controversial topic on the Corvette forums actually.

Originally Posted by Patman
No catch can for me, I don't want to have a hassle if I need to go in for warranty work, plus I question their effectiveness in the first place, that is quite a controversial topic on the Corvette forums actually.

I hear you. Some using them and some does not in 6th Gen Camaro so i was wondering.

Honestly I felt the same as you for a while until I decide to pull my pcv tube and air intake and seen all the oil residue going through the pcv tube and behind my throttle body, i figured installing a can may help. So i bought and installed a UPR single valve catch can kit, without the clean side separator, just the basic catch can. I didn't go for all the extras that can be added. I installed it a couple days ago , actually the night before we left for a 650 mile round trip that was a about 80% highway with a good bit of hard acceleration in and out of traffic, people ridding in the left lane really [censored] me off, and 20% city. I just got home and decide to check what or if anything was in the can for just 650 miles. I was actually surprised to see how much oil, is in the can. I know there can be water and contamination other than oil in the can. However given that I didn't really give much time for any condensation to take place it's pretty much oil . Also I had just changed the oil as well so I started with a fresh fill of Mobil 1 5w 30 EP . I can say I only wish I would have installed one sooner and my truck only has 6,500 miles on it . The kit installed in less than 10 minutes and easily removed in less time if needed. These pictures are of what the can caught in 650 miles. Also I pulled the exit hose from the can going back to the intake and it is dry so that tells me it's doing it's job. Now with all that said, some people my not feel it's a lot of oil in the can but i still don't want it going in my intake.

IMG_20181021_141502.jpg

IMG_20181021_132331.jpg

Originally Posted by Crobinson16

Honestly I felt the same as you for a while until I decide to pull my pcv tube and air intake and seen all the oil residue going through the pcv tube and behind my throttle body, i figured installing a can may help. So i bought and installed a UPR single valve catch can kit, without the clean side separator, just the basic catch can. I didn't go for all the extras that can be added. I installed it a couple days ago , actually the night before we left for a 650 mile round trip that was a about 80% highway with a good bit of hard acceleration in and out of traffic, people ridding in the left lane really [censored] me off, and 20% city. I just got home and decide to check what or if anything was in the can for just 650 miles. I was actually surprised to see how much oil, is in the can. I know there can be water and contamination other than oil in the can. However given that I didn't really give much time for any condensation to take place it's pretty much oil . Also I had just changed the oil as well so I started with a fresh fill of Mobil 1 5w 30 EP . I can say I only wish I would have installed one sooner and my truck only has 6,500 miles on it . The kit installed in less than 10 minutes and easily removed in less time if needed. These pictures are of what the can caught in 650 miles. Also I pulled the exit hose from the can going back to the intake and it is dry so that tells me it's doing it's job. Now with all that said, some people my not feel it's a lot of oil in the can but i still don't want it going in my intake.

Very nice pics and good info. Thank You sir
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Crobinson16

Hows UPR catch can quality? I was going to buy it but somehow it turned into "group buy" so im just waiting to fill all people in list.

It's amazing the amount of "oil" you can dump out of an intake manifold when you remove them. Beer keg intakes are the worst, ones that have a plenum under the throttle body. Some Kias will billow grey smoke if you give them an Italian Tuneup and they've never seen the high side of 3 grand their whole life. All that mess gets sucked up the intake and nearly chokes the engine out. I've solved many drivability problems by simply taking a car out to an open stretch and pouring the coal. People drive like they're scared of cars. You gotta give ‘em some stick every once in a while. /rant

The quality of the UPR is pretty good, I like there design and the material they used for the oil separation. There is a steel mesh disk ans, not just loos steal wool stuffed in a pocket. The lines they use are top notch, and are plug and play with factory style connection. There's a few things I would like to see different but over all it's a good design and priced according. They have alot of different kits for different vehicles and I believe they are all plug and play.

I just thought I would add to this thread with info from my most recent UOA from my Corvette. It has direct injection and even after 5578 miles it showed a value of div>

Let me guess the lab: Blackstone? What was the 100c viscosity?

..........and it shows that this engine can handle 7500 to 8000 mile OCIs........

Would be interesting to know your driving habits. My wife has an '18 Colorado w/3.6 V6. She does a lot of short trips. So far, her OLM is at 47% at 6,500 miles - and she's on her 3rd OCI.

Originally Posted by gizzsdad
..........and it shows that this engine can handle 7500 to 8000 mile OCIs........

Would be interesting to know your driving habits. My wife has an '18 Colorado w/3.6 V6. She does a lot of short trips. So far, her OLM is at 47% at 6,500 miles - and she's on her 3rd OCI.

It doesn't sound like the OLM is trusting in this particular case. I would go with 5k oci. Simple to remember.

Originally Posted by Danh
I just thought I would add to this thread with info from my most recent UOA from my Corvette. It has direct injection and even after 5578 miles it showed a value of div>

Nope, Wearcheck. The viscosity at 100c was 10.8. If you are trying to suggest that the fuel dilution number is wrong, keep in mind that Wearcheck doesn't estimate the fuel dilution like Blackstone, they use the test method ASTM D3524, which is GC.

Originally Posted by Danh

Nope, Wearcheck. The viscosity at 100c was 10.8. If you are trying to suggest that the fuel dilution number is wrong, keep in mind that Wearcheck doesn't estimate the fuel dilution like Blackstone, they use the test method ASTM D3524, which is GC.

Yup, that was my question. Good report!

My perspective is warped from spending too much time in HondaDIWorld where any dilution % under 5 is abnormal...

Originally Posted by PimTac
gizzsdad said:
It doesn't sound like the OLM is trusting in this particular case. I would go with 5k oci. Simple to remember.

Or -- the GM engineers realize how bad the fuel dilution can be for GDI short trippers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back