Oil Change Dillema

Just bought a 2021 Hyundai Tuscon with the 2.4l GDI engine. It came with free 3 year scheduled maintenance, of which an oil change is scheduled for 7500 miles. Dealer stated they can go up to 1000 miles on either side of that number. Now since this engine is GDI, I can’t go that long on oil. I do 5k changes, and the Blackstone report on the 2.0l in the wife’s Elantra GDI says 5k is pretty much done for the oil. Here is my thoughts:
1. Cringe and drive that far anyway.
2. Quietly Drop oil only myself at 3700, then let dealer do full oil/filter change at 7k
3 blow off the free maintenance and just go straight to the 5k intervals.

The unit has 538 miles on it right now. It’s not a lease, and I do not intend on trading the vehicle.

Change it at 6500 miles or just throw out their offer and change it whenever you want.

Did you post this analysis of your wife's engine oil ?

I get it. I have a company car (that I intend on buying when I get a new company car). Our leasing company pays for 7500 mile oil changes but there's no way I want to let it go that long so I do exactly what you're proposing...I change the oil myself at ~3750 miles and take it in for the regular oil/filter changes every 7500. Cheap insurance.

I'd give the dealer a shot at the 7500 mile oil/filter change and then assess their work...did they do it correctly? Oil level, everything tightened and cleaned up? Or did they scratch up your paint with a dirty fender cover and spill oil over everything? If they do a good job you can do your own at 3750 and get the freebie every 7500.

Go with the dealer changes the engine will last your ownership of it. Why do you want to change the oil at 3750?

I got free oil changes for my 4Runner when I bought it. Dealer would change it at 10K intervals.

So, I did a spill and fill at 5K and 15K. Dealer did oil and filter at 10K and 20K.

I plan to do oil and filter on the 10's and just the oil on the 5's as I go forward.

I would do the 3750 mile oil change. And continue splitting the dealer free changes. Use the blue OE KIA oil filter, which is a good filter.
The thing you may find is that the 1st time the oil is changed, the factory crush washer is painted black on the outside while the new crush washer is aluminum. Highly doubt they would notice or care on your 1st free oil change.
FWIW, in Canada, KIA mandates 3750 mile oil change intervals, all travel here is considered extreme service.

There is no such thing as free oil changes.
You paid for them. Use them.
Supplement your own Oc's to fit your driving pattern.
Use factory filters during the 3 year period, so that it looks like you are following the Hyundai SM schedule.
However, document your more rigorous OC schedule, in case things go sideways.

+1 on the MityVac extractor. The steal-ership doesn't need to know you've been "helping" during the warranty period. I would try to find out what oil they put in and consider using that. Keep the receipts.

There is no such thing as free oil changes.
You paid for them. Use them.
Supplement your own Oc's to fit your driving pattern.
Use factory filters during the 3 year period, so that it looks like you are following the Hyundai SM schedule.
However, document your more rigorous OC schedule, in case things go sideways.
^This.

Factory filters may be a good option even after the "free" period ends. The parts department at my favorite dealer is competitive on their pricing.

6500 is what I would do.

I bought a RAM last summer and negotiated the maintenance plan from 7,500 mile changes to 5,000 mile changes. Got it in writing. Is there any possibility you could still negotiate with Hyundai ? If not, 6,500 will still be OK, no need to stress.

When we purchased the 2015 Chevy Sonic , we got 4 free oil / filter changes .

I changed oil / filter when the OLM indicated around 50% and took the car in for one of the free services at around 5% . This worked out to ~ 5000 - 5500 miles on each service ( using DEXOS spec synthetic oil ) .

If it was me , I would tell the dealership you wished to do 10,000 mile services and change the oil / filter at 5000 miles and get the dealership do it on the next 5000 mile interval .

But then again, this is a brand new very clean inside engine.
I would suggest changing when you want (oil) and then take it in for
the 'free' service.

My 2¢

Just got the Kia letter informing most people that they're not good for 7500. I'd push the freebies out to 8500 and split with my own change at 4250. I'm out of warranty but always did 5000 mile OCIs with HyunKias.

Probably what I plan to do. Change out just the oil. Someone asked if I’d posted the UOA, I don’t think I did. I’ll look for it tonight and post. I normally did 5k changes on all my Hyundais, and only use the OEM filters. Anyone with a link to this mighty vac extractor?

Probably what I plan to do. Change out just the oil. Someone asked if I’d posted the UOA, I don’t think I did. I’ll look for it tonight and post. I normally did 5k changes on all my Hyundais, and only use the OEM filters. Anyone with a link to this mighty vac extractor?

Here

Back