Oil breaking in a 454

Ok so cam went flat and destroyed lifters? Solid flat tappet? Bearings went away in the roller rockers?

Im using Comp cams xd steel roller rockers(life time warranty) just couldnt justify the 600$ Crower for this build, billet hyd roller bullet cam and morel 4603 hyd roller lifters lifters.
Your engine and most of todays components are very high quality. I so think about another boat and engine but the emotional part is just not there. It takes quite a lot of work to get everything working together and then the upkeep is brutal ! I go to the local drag track and watch the cars run and when the funny cars run I am happy.

Just saying the cam is only one are of concern, we don't know the hone finish on the cylinders, if it was plateau honed then the concern is minimal but if its old school hone with high ridges it can be a real serious break in issue.
IMO there is nothing lost using a break in oil for a short time and the cost of it is minimal. JM2C

A mid tier oil, nothing special. Not saying its crap just not worth seeking it out or paying a premium in the US for it, there are many good and better oils that cost less.
The dyno guy has ravenol break in oil and use it and its not premium priced same as joegibbs amsoil, Lucas and other break in oils. Can pick it up today and its close to my house so tempted If you dont think its crap.

Just saying the cam is only one are of concern, we don't know the hone finish on the cylinders, if it was plateau honed then the concern is minimal but if its old school hone with high ridges it can be a real serious break in issue.
IMO there is nothing lost using a break in oil for a short time and the cost of it is minimal. JM2C
Plateau honed

I have used so many different combination,over the last 15 years I have built probably 10-12 hyd roller BB 454-496’s so dont know If it was luck or If it doesnt really matter If you use break in oil or just regular dino?
Thought asking wont hurt?
When a lot of things work well then that usually indicates that it doesn’t matter. Which is what I suspect is correct in this case.

Has a fresh Chevy BB 454 I just built. Should be close to 600 hp.
Hyd roller billet core 160/420 closed/open spring pressure.
Moly piston rings.

Unsure what oil I should use during break in?
break in oil Like Edelbrock 1070, Joe gibbs etc. Regular dino 10w30? should I use break in additive like Comp cams, redline etc?
Valvoline VR1 10W30 dino for break in and initial run in. Change oil and use the same oil for another 500 miles. Then Valvoline VR1 10W40 for life. High spring pressures and aggressive lobe ramps still need the extra zinc/additive protection.

Very helpful! sorry that I posted.
Why would you be sorry that you posted? Where are the sour grapes coming from? All I was noting was that your track record of getting a consensus here surely isn’t any more impressive than what you were getting before.

some people say you don’t need a dedicated break in oil, some say you do. but no one says a break in oil will hurt, and it will cost you what - 20 bucks more than something else, at worst? i say use a break in oil. i doubt it will make a difference, but for a few extra bucks it will make you feel better.

love the engine. thinking about a 496 for my old k10. hope it runs great for you!

I had a big block 454 for my 66 impala. I ran a roller hydraulic cam and still ran the motor in with break in oil to start. I still use it even with a roller cam. Doesn’t hurt at all.

The way we do it here on first start is to run the engine up to 2000 rpm after warm up for 20 minutes or so then drain and fill with a filter change. After that just add power at brief intervals for 1000 miles then another change of oil and filter. Have never had a failure over decades of rebuilding.

What I usually do on the engines I build is prime the oil system with a tool on a drill and then use a 10w30 break in oil and start the engine and rev it to around 2000 rpm, even if it's a full roller engine I still do a "flat tappet" style break in for about 15 minutes. Then I'll drain it and put some more 10w30 break in oil in and run that oil on the street for about 500 miles or so and then switch to whatever oil you want to use for normal use. That's just what I personally do to the engines I build myself.

Back