Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by 21Rouge
FWIW:

UOA for M1 ESP FORMULA 0W40

However, big question is TBN and TAN. Why you did not do that?

I consider the determination of TBN to be useful if one is considering a long OCI. And doing a rough extrapolation, it appears that for any of these oils I have had analyzed I would be 1 quart down somewhere around 8500 km i.e. about 5k miles. I refuse to add oil so out it comes.

Yes, but many R owners do 5k changes. As I sad, around 2015 I did UOA of Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30 which is VW 504.00/507.00 and it was already at 1.7 TBN at 3k. If you did 5K, it would give confidence people that they could go 5k on those oils. That is all issue around VW504.00/507.00

My car (RS3) I do oil change once a year which is about 6-7k. Only use 504 oil because that is what OM calls for. I have absolutely no concerns since fuel changed a couple years ago, also 7.5 qt oil capacity. Same car in Europe with same oil calls for intervals of up to 20k miles.

Originally Posted by Patman

I consider the determination of TBN to be useful if one is considering a long OCI. And doing a rough extrapolation, it appears that for any of these oils I have had analyzed I would be 1 quart down somewhere around 8500 km i.e. about 5k miles. I refuse to add oil so out it comes.

I'm curious, why do you refuse to add oil? Wouldn't it be better to add that quart of oil and then extend the OCI a little bit more?

I was being a bit dramatic. (Although it does bother me a bit "psychologically", to see such consumption
21.gif
)

Anyways, as I recall, the oils (except for the Castrol 0W40?) shown in this Blackstone Report were only available to me in quart bottles in a case of 6. And with this car having a 6 quart sump, in would go a whole case; and I wasn't going to buy another case to be able to top up.

As well I had the plan that I would do UOAs for all of these oils (including the now current fill of M1 ESP X 0W30) so adding new oil to the sump part way through the OCI seemed to defeat the purpose of getting some legit #s
21.gif

Originally Posted by jakeyjohn1
To be clear for others who may be reading this, VW's recommendation of 5W30 and 5W40 is merely a recommendation, the manual does say you may use other viscosity grades and still be under VW's guidelines. It is their VW 502 00 or VW 504 00 spec they mandate.

I've been trying to understand why they make that recommendation, especially since they do not mention temperature or climate at all and as has been kindly pointed out 0W40 meets the required viscosity characteristics (as does 0W30).

I found some of the LSPI and base oil viscosity discussions on this forum. I understand LSPI to effect small displacement turbocharged engines, but I read that to mean a high boost/displacement ratio is the cause and wonder if sufficiently turbo charged larger displacement engines could experience similar issues. Maybe the misfiring Golf Rs are experiencing a LSPI-type event at cold start in certain conditions. The ECU fix for the issue is said to hold the idle at higher revs for a short while after start up, maybe the larger 2L engine doesn't need much speed to be out of LSPI territory...

Does the dexos1Gen2 spec contradict any specs on edyvw's list? I read that dexos2 includes LSPI protection as well. I noticed one of the ACEA C3 oils I am looking at, Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5W-40 https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/8AF3E70A9129A89580257E2D004F520D/$File/BPXE-9VX5VU.pdf, meets dexos2 but doesn't have Porsche C30 though. Anyone know of a dexos1Gen2 oil meeting VW 502 00? I'm having a hard time finding anything.

In the Castrol Q&A Castrol wrote, " The important item is that the level of HTHS meets the vehicle manufacturers� requirements for both fuel economy and protection. This is controlled through their recommendation of viscosity grade ( eg 5W-30 ) and specification ( eg API SN/ILSAC GF-5)." Since HTHS is dictated in the specification alone, perhaps Castrol is trying to hint at differences in base oils. Maybe in order to be 5W30 or 5W40 and meet VW 502 00/VW 504 00 the base oil would need certain characteristics which VW is trying to recommend but can't because of all the industry secrecy? VW is also suggesting 10k OCI so maybe they are just simply worried about shearing VIIs, which they assume there would be more of in 0Wxx oils?

I realize my choices are limited. I'm leaning toward Castrol Edge 0W40 A3/B4 or an ACEA C3 oil...

Here's what went in the ea888 gen3 in the A4 over the weekend. 502, dexos2, A40 and a few more

20190627_185326.jpg

20190627_185352.jpg

Last edited:
My car (RS3) I do oil change once a year which is about 6-7k. Only use 504 oil because that is what OM calls for. I have absolutely no concerns since fuel changed a couple years ago, also 7.5 qt oil capacity. Same car in Europe with same oil calls for intervals of up to 20k miles.

I am just saying since he did it, he could get these two variables.
Europe has different burn than the U.S. and 20k is only on some markets.

FWIW:

UOA for M1 ESP FORMULA 0W40

Any of those oils look good.
However, big question is TBN and TAN. Why you did not do that?

Several things:

3. We would see what everyone is asking: can VW504.00/507.00 survive long OCI in these engines (TBN). My UOA in VW Tiguan several years ago indicated that Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30 (VW504.00/507.00) would not be able to survive 5k. At 3k OCI TBN was at 1.7.

Ok, update: I just sent off a sample of the 504/507 M1 ESP 0W30 which was in the sump of our Golf R for 5100 miles. I recalled this thread and so gave BStone a ring and had them add TAN and TBN.

(almost $28 Cdn for these two extra tests
shocked2.gif
)

Last edited:
Intake valves yes, but we are not talking about that here.
Not 2018 Golf 2.0T. Guys...
33.gif
These engines have DUAL injection. DI and MI (manifold injection). No one knows it??

"Below" (RPM) the MI have "more to say", on the top, the DI. Like 2006 for first time in Lexus GS 450h and LS 460.

Advantages are MUCH better emissions and better dynamic (or if you drive it identical like Golf6, more MPG). So much better, that VAG dont need OPF (PF for gasoline engines, Otto).

And as a minor point, than you have more and less, but always, MI, carbon on the intake valves is foretime.

Thats so far not in any newer VAG engine, but already in some. Have we no one here with interest for cars…?
smirk2.gif

LSPI, no.
Right. And when, thats guaranteed not on VAGs 1.8 and 2.0 engines.
Thx for corrects this BS.

Originally Posted by Lowflyer
33.gif
These engines have DUAL injection. DI and MI (manifold injection). No one knows it??

"Below" (RPM) the MI have "more to say", on the top, the DI. Like 2006 for first time in Lexus GS 450h and LS 460.

Advantages are MUCH better emissions and better dynamic (or if you drive it identical like Golf6, more MPG). So much better, that VAG dont need OPF (PF for gasoline engines, Otto).

And as a minor point, than you have more and less, but always, MI, carbon on the intake valves is foretime.

Thats so far not in any newer VAG engine, but already in some. Have we no one here with interest for cars…?
smirk2.gif

LSPI, no.

I don't think any of the US market VW/Audi 2.0s have the dual injector setup.

Yep
frown.gif
I had once too big snout... I have now more precise check it. Which ones engine code letters existing in North America market? (7R) I dont know other than DJH(A)

CJSA (1.8T) have it. The list of 2.0T GTI engines, for example, is long and only DLBA is pure DI. CHHB, CHHA, DHGA, CJXE, CJXG and also DNU (GTI TCR) have dual injection.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Furrner
33.gif

smirk2.gif

LSPI, no.

I don't think any of the US market VW/Audi 2.0s have the dual injector setup.

Correct - not something we have here in the U.S.

Which ones engine code letters existing in North America market? (7R) I dont know other than DJH(A)
Anybody home?

Which ones engine code letters existing in North America market? (7R) I dont know other than DJH(A)
Anybody home?

Most have you blocked.

Goodbye. ⬛ï¸â¬›ï¸

Most have you blocked.
You mean blockheads do blocking? Its not so bad. Such subjects are not a loss.

MB 229.5 is the top spec in full saps, in reduced saps VW 504 is the best. VW 502 is obsolete.

I would select a 5w-40 229.5 for your climate, but 0w-40 is still excellent.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by Zolton
MB 229.5 is the top spec in full saps, in reduced saps VW 504 is the best. VW 502 is obsolete.

I would select a 5w-40 229.5 for your climate, but 0w-40 is still excellent.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Data and requirements for VW504.00/507.00 are only available in 0/5W30.
I am not sure what is difference between 5W40 MB229.5 and 0W40 MB229.5, and why 5W40 is more appropriate for that climate, but I am sure you will tell us.

Last edited:
Question of the week:
What is full quote and why its nothing for you, because its only for bone idle crooks?

@edyvw
A bit thicker (and still approved) base oil for 2.0L engine with 288 hp and 280 lb-ft its not a craziest idea. Right?
Why not? Because its still the oil, which lubricate. Not 1 ounce additives and also not two tablespoos viscosity improvers in it? Also right?

Last edited:
These are questions that I thought everybody already knew the answer.
33.gif

5w-40 can have higher HT/HS. For an R TSI model engine, it seems like a logical choice....especially since cold starts are not an issue.

These are questions that I thought everybody already knew the answer.
33.gif

5w-40 can have higher HT/HS. For an R TSI model engine, it seems like a logical choice....especially since cold starts are not an issue.

What is difference between 5W40 and 0W40 at KV100?
Obviously not everyone knows that answer.

What is difference between 5W40 and 0W40 at KV100?

a) Fresh or 1000 miles before OCI?
b) HTHS â KV
c) What about average temps at KV87/95?
56.gif

d) What about HTHS and oil dilution?

Last edited:
Just to make it easy, HT/HS is measured at +150c, not +100c
31.gif

LOL, I know that. You are implying that 5W40 oils have higher HTHS.
So please, do shed that theory with us and some examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back