Oil analysis have any real impact??.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I was wondering if these UOA's really matter in the big scheme of things. Does these containments at a certain parts per million in a suspended sample sent to a analysis company from a client who religiously changes their oil really have any significant impact.

I mean if the sample sent is so small and you can't even feel any grit in the oil sent for an analysis which would tell you how much ( ie. silicone) is in there for instance. How much of knowing that stuff can lead to oil engine failure in the long run. ARemember, the vehicle's oil is always changed.

Sometimes I feel that like it's okay if you call me anal, an oil geek, or a person with a hobbie in knowing about oil.

I hope I don't offend anybody here.

I really think you have a feel for your car and if it is sludging or if you see a leak you would know something is really bad. But analysis at the minute or micorscopic level would not mean much if you have a good routine of changing oil anyways. I think it would be justified for LONGGGGG OCI's but I feel people who just analyze after a short 3000-5000 OCI is when it don't matter much.

I know this may not be a good example, but lets say you wax your car. Then you rewaxed after 1 hour. I think any group of wax would make your vehicle look good in that first hour.

It is when you look at your vehicle 6-8 months later is where you know which wax held up longer and best for your vehicle.

If you always wax your car, you end up with a car always looking good.

Just like if you always change your oil, you will usually have an engine with no oil realted damage.

I am also not downing any oil analysis company by any means. Just like to look at things differently like how someone in here discussed insurance and how it benefits the company in the 10 year long run. I liked his perspective as I thought the same too at times.

Any opinions!??

smile.gif

Last edited:
Your pretty much right about every thing you said. UOAs can help if your loseing coolant into the engine, or determine TBN for long OCIs.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Your pretty much right about every thing you said. UOAs can help if your loseing coolant into the engine, or determine TBN for long OCIs.

I use it for those things, and to build confidence to rely on the Oil Life Monitor in my vehicle.

I like to use oil analysis because it tells me things I can't see. A few years ago I had a broken intake manifold bolt and coolant was leaking into the oil. Of course I couldn't see the coolant getting into the oil but when the analysis came back I went on the hunt for the cause and found the broken bolt.

Getting the broken bolt out....well that's a whole 'nuther story. Needless to say, I doubt I would have looked for a broken bolt had the analysis not alerted me to the problem.

I've owned my vehicle since new, it's a 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan and I've done oil analysis for the life of the vehicle.

It now has 413,000 miles on it! Yes, you read that right, 413K! Oh, and it's still running just like the day I bought it, maybe better.

One other thing, original transmission!! Yup, probably a world record. I'm running two additional filters on the tranny, a Magnafine filter and a Trasko bypass via the trans cooler lines.

Anyway, I attribute it's long life to the use of synthetics, the by-pass filters and of course, proper maintanence.

That and all of the great info I find here on Bobistheoilguy. Thank you all for all of the great info I've learned in the years since I've been coming here.

Last edited:
I think the essential times to do a UOA on an engine is at the half way point of a manufacturer's warranty period, and then just before the warranty expires. I think any UOA's done outside of those parameters is pure hobby and interest in various lubricants, which I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back