Oh-Oh-No O'Reilly

When O'R had their five bucks off a five dollar purchase extravaganza going years ago I bought a lot of Redline fuel system cleaner and TruFuel quarts from them because the coupon made it really cheap.
OTOH, when I really needed a starter for our old Aerostar 3.0, the nearest store had one in stock and the price was not too hateful, maybe around ninety dollars exchange.
With any chain parts outlet, YMMV.

More recently have found their stock very limited, requiring a special order for most items I need. Disappointed that there is a restocking/shipping charge, even when the items are collected from the store. Maybe the policy has changed, but limited stock plus fees on items requiring ordering for collected in person at the store is a big turnoff.

More recently have found their stock very limited, requiring a special order for most items I need.
They have a central warehouse in our metro area so between it and other stores, if my nearby store doesn't have an item, odds are they can get it quickly. If it's ordered early enough in the morning, they often can get it by the afternoon. If it's in the afternoon or evening, they can have it in the morning. I can't see how they'd manage the logistics of swapping parts between stores though, at least not quickly. They'd have to get a part from a store, take it back to a central location, then on to the store that needs.

There's plenty of threads here from years ago about good to great clearances on oil at O'Reilly-- but it's far less frequent and they rarely advertise it on the floor. It's quite often sitting on shelves in back and somehow someone stumbles on it and then it gets posted online. You basically have to somehow know about it from insiders or luck.

In the past clearance prices show on their website, and there was speculation employees don't see what you pay because online orders didn't seem to be mysteriously canceled.

I still have some Havoline full syn jugs from an O'Reilly clearance WAY back.....maybe 2016 or 2017?

And around here O'Reilly is the easiest and most well-staffed. They're always my first choice.

I did have an O'Reilly employee disappear in the back FOREVER one time when I went to warranty a lifetime Monroe steering stabilizer. He finally came back out and said he could do it this time, but they wouldn't be able to do it anymore after that.

He wasn't a manager, so I don't know what his deal was. He literally had a mullet and drove a Camaro -- not kidding. I didn't argue because stupid people will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

I made sure to get my exchange receipt to preserve warranty and then emailed corporate. They responded quickly and said ol' Curtis was mistaken and the part was indeed LT warranty. The DM actually called me and said "it was just an employee training issue" and his next call would be to the store. A few weeks later ol' Curtis was no longer working there. I imagine he's standing in front of high schools leaning against his Camaro saying, "Yooo tuch my Camaro and I'll KIKK yer AZZZZ!!!!"

I can't see how they'd manage the logistics of swapping parts between stores though,
Even small stores have 'fleets' of delivery vehicles.
They bounce 'em among the other shops and warehouses. Cell phones increase efficiency.
None will price match Walmart for their oil prices….
I wouldn't expect them too.
What disappointed me was when my local NAPA (good people) played dumb when I sought national campaign sale oil.
I told them if this kind of promotion wasn't their bag, I'd understand.
They'd treated me well at every other turn.
I felt a lot better dismissing that episode than RockAuto's agents sending me dented oil filters.

More recently have found their stock very limited, requiring a special order for most items I need. Disappointed that there is a restocking/shipping charge, even when the items are collected from the store. Maybe the policy has changed, but limited stock plus fees on items requiring ordering for collected in person at the store is a big turnoff.

What exactly is "most items you need" that requires a special order via UPS from a far-away DC or directly from the vendor? 99% of stuff most people buy is at the hub store, serving DC, or linked DC, and can be had with no shipping charge the same day or next day.

I definitely don't understand B&M charging the customer UPS charges. For that I'll just order online for less $ and have it come to my door

My O'Reillys and Parts City can get quite a bit next day on their daily trucks from TX, but NAPA can get far more out of their ABQ hub, including random Speedi-Sleeves and such

I wouldn't expect them too.
What disappointed me was when my local NAPA (good people) played dumb when I sought national campaign sale oil.
I told them if this kind of promotion wasn't their bag, I'd understand.
They'd treated me well at every other turn.
I felt a lot better dismissing that episode than RockAuto's agents sending me dented oil filters.
This is a HUGE pet-peeve of mine with franchise owners who don't want to honor national sales or returns from other stores, etc

You sign the franchise agreement with your eyes wide open.

They want all the benefits of owning a franchise like nationwide parts distribution, website support and online inventory, and nationwide advertising (advertising is typically a HUGE expense for independent businesses) with none of the downside. It's nonsense.

If you don't want to be a NAPA store in good AND bad, then just open up your own independent "Joe's Auto Parts" and see how that goes.

It's literally akin to a parent wanting to play and have fun with their kid, but then wanting nothing to do with him when he's crying or needs a diaper change.

The Orielly's here is very good. The definition of FLAPS (Friendly Local (?) Auto Parts Store). They have all the weird taps, brake line adapters, individual o-rings, and other things you need to cobble something creative together.

They have oil for those who need oil. They don't need it to lure you in the door. They don't market that it's exciting for joe homeowner to have a Saturday car care day. That job is for AA-AZ.

O'Reilly won't price match WM but I've had them price match HD on automotive bulbs. That said, I'm not sure HD stocks any automotive bulbs any longer? This was before most HD stores pared down their automotive section.

They have oil for those who need oil. They don't need it to lure you in the door. They don't market that it's exciting for joe homeowner to have a Saturday car care day. That job is for AA-AZ.
I dunno, they used to send emails with links to short vids about maintenance. I'm pretty sure they still do. It was literally starting from zero, like oil weights explained or how to change spark plugs or a belt.

Found this:

Paging @dogememe to the front counter, customer has a question.

I really don't see any specific question, but I'll take a stab at it.

Most stuff that's removed from planograms when they are updated gets shipped back to the DC to go back to the vendor.

Typically the things that go to clearance are items that each store stocks just a few of so you're not likely to make a good haul. Just the random item here and there.

The real last good clearance where a large quantity of stuff was available at a really good price was Havoline synthetic like... 7 years ago at this point?

The real last good clearance where a large quantity of stuff was available at a really good price was Havoline synthetic like... 7 years ago at this point?
Yep and before that was the "recycled" oil...what did they call that? Nexgen or something? Of course that was discontinued across the board.

Even small stores have 'fleets' of delivery vehicles.
They bounce 'em among the other shops and warehouses. Cell phones increase efficiency.
Yeah, I know they have their own trucks at each store but there has to be a limit as to how far or how often they run between stores. It could get real inefficient real fast. There's at least a dozen O'Reilly locations around me and while 2-3 are pretty close, as in close enough that I'd drive to them myself if I needed that part now, I'm not sure if they'd go farther. I do know that AAP typically has one store that's very well stocked - they almost always have a part while outlying stores don't. Same with Autozone, in fact, pre-Covid, that store of theirs was open 24 hours a day !

Related to that, I have no idea who brings stuff from their warehouse, if they have a cargo/box truck making the rounds or they get the stuff themself.

What exactly is "most items you need" that requires a special order via UPS from a far-away DC or directly from the vendor? 99% of stuff most people buy is at the hub store, serving DC, or linked DC, and can be had with no shipping charge the same day or next day.
Possibly being a little unfair as my vehicle are all imports, and I understand there are limits to how many SKUs can be carried. But for instance, ceramic brake pads and rotors that will "fit", or oil filter "kit" (includes replacement drain plug and O rings). May be a very different story for domestic vehicles with higher volume parts.

Have found O'Rieilys staff very helpful at the store when I can be specific on the details of the item I am looking to buy, and that they carry at the store. Best of all is their tool loaner program. A good reason to be loyal if I can be!

Back