Oh oh, more Ultra drama

Here's info from the Wayback Machine looking at Fram's website history. The Fram Titanium seems to have shown up on Fram's website somewhere between May and Sep 2020. It shows that the Titanium media has always been wire backed synthetic blend ... whooooah, what's that mean? And they call it a "high flow synthetic oil filter", but then in the description say it's a "premium synthetic blend media".

May 12, 2020 ... No Titanium shown.
View attachment 143829

Sep 24, 2020 ... Titanium shown.
View attachment 143825

Titanium description ... "synthetic blend" media ... with "metal screen backing". So looks like the Titanium was ALWAYS wire backed synthetic blend ... not "full synthetic" like the OG Ultra. Makes you wonder what's going on. Is the Titanium really a different media than the OG Ultra? ... seems that way ... or ???

View attachment 143826

View attachment 143827

They had complete morons working in their marketing department....

Who didn't know anything about the products which we were being advertised and sold by their darn company.

I bought a Fram Titanium filter and it was not worded right on the box if memory serves me right.

Think I have a picture of the one I bought when they first came out.

Hopefully I will find it...

Last edited:
Here it states synthetic blend media on the box... This was on the box on May 2020.

World champions there

Attachments

• IMG_20220119_224600656.jpg
    IMG_20220119_224600656.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20200609_234329835.jpg
    IMG_20200609_234329835.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 17
This is only my opinion....

But I believe the filter media is the same from the og Fram Ultra and the Titanium filter.

Someone cut open a Fram Titanium on here and the filter media looked to be exactly like og Fram Ultra filter media.

I have a Fram Titanium filter on the lady's 98 Camry right now. Been on there 8k plus miles... And it ain't going no where for another 12 to 14k miles.

I would buy a new Fram Ultra filter.

Or if the Titanium filter became like that I would buy one if it came with a decent enough deal at AAP.

That new Fram Advanced aka EP full synthetic oil combo deal I may well get one of them.

Here it states synthetic blend media on the box... This was on the box on May 2020.

World champions there
And that "synthetic blend media" statement on the box matched what they said on their website. They have said the Titanium is "synthetic blend" media ever since it first came out. WayBack Machine shows that.

Here's a photo I just took of a Titanuim I bought last summer. It was made the 168th day of a 2022. Has the same "synthetic blend media" statement on the box. And Fram also shows "synthetic blend" media for the Titanium on their website right now, as I pointed out earlier. So you think they have been wrong since the Titanium first came out, or is it really a synthetic blend? And if it looks exactly like the OG Ultra media, then what's the scoop? More mystery, lol.

20230308_023508-1.jpg

Don't know man ...

My thought is....

When it first came out.... It was og Fram Ultra filter media in there.

So that at that time.... I believe that the box and what was online at the time was likely incorrect....

Now... I'm wondering if.... They will transition the Titanium filter media to the new filter media..... Which I think is likely going to happen.

Which would make it all correct. Online and what's on their boxes.

We're trying to figure out if the OP's photo is a 1 off manufacturing error by Fram.
I don't think any one else has reported this missing Sure Grip on any Fram Ultra's they bought yet.

The current Fram website still shows the sure grip:

Where did you buy your Fram Ultra from?
Is there any chance you bought a counterfeit?

Has anyone else bought a Fram ultra without the sure grip?

Did you want to contact Fram technical support to get an explanation on the missing sure grip?
Walmart. No, I sure as "heck" am not going to contact them. It's a cost-cutting move, and a smart one (shrinkflation) because it doesn't affect its functionality. It looks similar to bedliner material and that stuff is expensive at the consumer level. I liked the material; oddly no one here does, but I liked how I could most times grab and turn it by hand.

Which would make it all correct. Online and what's on their boxes.
Only if they also removed the wire backed statement like they did on the new Ultra website info, and update the box. Time will tell, and we already have reports that non-wire backed Titaniums have been found at AAP, maybe still in the old box.

That's a bummer. All of this talk about filter wrenches, I don't even own one. Even with 20k mile intervals, I can remove the filters by hand. My filters are also out in the open and easily accessible though. I would rather have the grip.

They had complete morons working in their marketing department....

Who didn't know anything about the products which we were being advertised and sold by their darn company.

I bought a Fram Titanium filter and it was not worded right on the box if memory serves me right.

Think I have a picture of the one I bought when they first came out.

Hopefully I will find it...
Imagine having a product so great that even the sales team can’t correctly convey its value to the consumer… then you fire the technical guy, cheapen the filter, and still have a Top-3 product in its category.

Amazing, and no wonder the division got bought out.

It's a cost-cutting move,.... I liked the material; oddly no one here does, but I liked how I could most times grab and turn it by hand.
Just reading the comments here, I can't say "no one" liked it. It is accurate to say that some/many didn't care for it for the reasons previously explained in this thread. If it is entirely another "cost-costing move", then unlike the media change in 2021, it's one that personally 'I' don't find to be a significant one.

Here's info from the Wayback Machine looking at Fram's website history. The Fram Titanium seems to have shown up on Fram's website somewhere between May and Sep 2020. It shows that the Titanium media has always been wire backed synthetic blend ... whooooah, what's that mean? And they call it a "high flow synthetic oil filter", but then in the description say it's a "premium synthetic blend media".

May 12, 2020 ... No Titanium shown.
View attachment 143829

Sep 24, 2020 ... Titanium shown.
View attachment 143825

Titanium description ... "synthetic blend" media ... with "metal screen backing". So looks like the Titanium was ALWAYS wire backed synthetic blend ... not "full synthetic" like the OG Ultra. Makes you wonder what's going on. Is the Titanium really a different media than the OG Ultra? ... seems that way ... or ???

View attachment 143826

View attachment 143827
I went through that too, what I found was problematic and certainly didn't help, lol.
1. Fram revised the URL format of their site sometime in 2022, so if you put in https://www.fram.com/products/oil-filters, you only go back to 2022.
2. The old URL, https://www.fram.com/products/consumer-products/, if you select a 2019 date, you get a 2020 date. If you select a 2019 date, you get a 2018 date. For example:
- if I click on this link: https://web.archive.org/web/20191008051310/http://www.fram.com/products/consumer-products

It redirects, and I get November 23rd, 2018.

- If I click on this link: https://web.archive.org/web/20191207093405/http://www.fram.com/products/consumer-products

It redirects, and I get September 24th, 2020.

On the September 24th, 2020 link, the Titanium is there, however, if I click on it, I get this URL:

Which is from November 17th, 2021, a whole year after the filter appeared on the site!

On the other hand, if I click on the Ultra, I get:
So, September 9th, 2020. And it says:
the Ultra Synthetic oil filter has the ultimate dual-layer synthetic media which provides up to 20,000 miles of engine protection.

This isn't changed on the November 28th, 2021 version:

However, by the first crawl of 2022 on June 9th:
it says:
Dual layered synthetic blend media provides 99%+ filtration efficiency.*

Matching the Titanium.

Soooooo, it appears the Titanium verbiage was either always "blend" or was changed well in advance of the Ultra changing. We have roughly a year where the filter existed but we have no idea what the website said.

As @bbhero alluded to, and given the incorrect verbiage in the e-mail, we may just be dealing with the Moron side of the force. If the Titanium was cooked up after First Brands took over and the folks doing the branding didn't have a clue about the media in either filter, well, the Ultra filter, box and website description were all existing products, so they were left alone. The Titanium, if these cookers thought the Ultra had blend media (and they appeared to, based on that e-mail) then it makes sense (kinda) that they'd use that language in describing the Titanium that was using the same media.

FqkkOfxaYAIckAh

Last edited:
Pic of box and date code . Also, I took a cursory look and saw no others like.

Attachments

• IMG_20230308_083734665.jpg
    IMG_20230308_083734665.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20230308_083708495.jpg
    IMG_20230308_083708495.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 23
Come on we are still at 6 lets go for 10 pages of...nothing here... 🤣 🍿

Back